e8000 Beeping then cutting out on steep tech climbs in Boost

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Curious if anyone has had a similar issue? Only happens on steep tech climbs when in boost.. motor will beep and cut out. was thinking it might be a sensor error or overheating? It's not happening that much but the last 3 rides happened at least once.. always in super awkward situations which is a little dangerous.. these are on super steep climbs that would be totally un ridable on a pedal bike

It has also happened before on long sustained climbs in boost, but more rarely.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I'm no expert, but looking at what you described, esp. that it is getting worse; have you checked for friction? Put the bike upside down, turn the cranks - does it feel like normal motor drag? Then spin both wheels - are they spinning freely. Then pull the chain backwards - you should feel motor drag and that's all.

Persson

Jun 9, 2019
Sweden
Curious if anyone has had a similar issue? Only happens on steep tech climbs when in boost.. motor will beep and cut out. was thinking it might be a sensor error or overheating? It's not happening that much but the last 3 rides happened at least once.. always in super awkward situations which is a little dangerous.. these are on super steep climbs that would be totally un ridable on a pedal bike

I have had the same problem. Have hapened 3 times int

I have had the same issue. Check the error code and read the manual.
Or here:

MadTurnip

Jan 14, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
The e8000 does throw an error if it overheats. If you are towing someone or are a heavy rider on sustained long steep climbs in boost and its putting out peak power. This seems to occur more often if you have a speedbox fitted.
I observed all of this on a friends bike.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I have had the same problem. Have hapened 3 times int

I have had the same issue. Check the error code and read the manual.
Or here:
Haven’t noticed any codes, just a beep.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Ingot that error code once climbing in auburn, ca in boost on a super hot day. Obvious overheat. Super long boost climbs are perfect for those who want to brag about how many e8000 motors of theirs become toast. It seems identical to buying a new Corvette and only racing it at a track and then selling your low mileage car to some unsuspecting type.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Ingot that error code once climbing in auburn, ca in boost on a super hot day. Obvious overheat. Super long boost climbs are perfect for those who want to brag about how many e8000 motors of theirs become toast. It seems identical to buying a new Corvette and only racing it at a track and then selling your low mileage car to some unsuspecting type.

So you are guilty of riding long boost climbs in hot weather but don't like toasted engines or own a corvette?

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
I was mistakenly listening to my friend who thinks a durible good is something that lasts a season. I've got 4 k miles on mine and I want it to run for a long while. I think riding a bike until the thermal overload is triggered is the same as taking your new Corvette to Sears point as much as your wallet can withstand. I like the idea of really good stuff that proof of it's construction is great longevity of not abused and pushed to it's technical limits excessively.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki

Yes, I have the same issue. I think my battery mount may be a bit loose. Will have to adjust that. Cleaning the contacts too while I'm at it.

However, I just updated to new firmware after my last ride, will be monitoring if that made a difference.

WubbleU

Apr 3, 2022
Bristol
Yes, I have the same issue. I think my battery mount may be a bit loose. Will have to adjust that. Cleaning the contacts too while I'm at it.

However, I just updated to new firmware after my last ride, will be monitoring if that made a difference.

Bumping on cleaning contacts.

I'd had my ebike for a year a half when I started to get a W010 error code. Was thinking about replacing bearings but then looked at the battery mount. The contact nearest the frame looked like it had melted slightly and the flat surface was pitted where the battery contact would have been made. I sprayed it down with contact cleaner, ran some fine wet and dry paper over them and then scraped out the pits with a nail to lift out any corrosion. More contact cleaner to rinse. Been testing with some heavy climbs over the last few days and seems to be working fine again. Looking back, I didn't have any form of protection for the terminals on the bike. If I travelled, the bike would be slung off the back of my car with the battery inside. Bit hesitant to put any dielectric grease on while it's working but I'm thinking it would reduce the effect of corrosion. I've got a replacement battery holder to go in on the next time I get an overheat warning. I'm looking around for a decent terminal cover in the meantime.
IMG-20220404-WA0003.jpg

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The contact nearest the frame looked like it had melted slightly and the flat surface was pitted where the battery contact would have been made.

Good eye. That would explain the OP's symptoms. High load, high current, increased heat, increased resistance, voltage drop, boom! Fiberglass burnishing pens are great for cleaning pitted contacts.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Good eye. That would explain the OP's symptoms. High load, high current, increased heat, increased resistance, voltage drop, boom! Fiberglass burnishing pens are great for cleaning pitted contacts.

Sure but I'm not getting an error code, just a beep, then motor cuts out for a second.. might not come back the whole ride.
This is on short tech sections in boost.. not on long climbs.

I'll have a look at terminals though:)

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Thanks for the idea of the pen to remove oxidation. $10.95 on Amazon. Still in doubt that's going to be the cure for the extreme issues of others. Just sounds like a good tool to keep around.

If I were having this cut out frequently I would buy a decent thermal scanner and measure as many places on the bike /motor looking for a hot spot. The back and decker one is cheap and it appears to work well. The questions of course is where exactly is the thermal cut off, is it's actions appropriate or is it defective.

As usual understanding what's actually going on inside on a shamo e8000 or for that fact nearly any other motor is probably possible.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles