DT ratchet teeth 54T vs 36T vs stock 18T for ebike

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have 10 bikes.
Average speeds vary massively dependent on bike/ride/terrain.
We can't all spend every nocturnal hour lapping a lake.

It's OK. Keep your special bike secret. You never know when the authorities might be peeking at nerdy cycling forums. ?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
The topic is good and it has potential containing valuable information but now it's just internet battle after first 3 messages.

I wonder where's the thread deleting moderator now?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I wonder where's the thread deleting moderator now?
You're saying you want the thread deleting ? You do know how rare it is for a thread to actually be deleted ?

If you don't like the direction, ask questions you think will put it back on the interesting path rather than complaining, we all have that ability open to us. Your little keyboard fingers are not tied behind you back.

So far madmad seems to avoided answering questions and just keep deflecting and trolling. Go for it, unleash the potential ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
:cool:
The topic is good and it has potential containing valuable information but now it's just internet battle after first 3 messages
Bottom line is the upgrade from 36 to 54t engagement should be an upgrade for most Emtbs. And should be durable enough.
If you're a modern day Doc Brown trying to build a frankenbike to reach 88mph to go back in time to stop your alternate timeline self impregnating your own mother probably not so much.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Thank you Gary.

Change from the OEM Bontrager to DT Swiss 36t was huge. Upgrade (unnecessary or not) to 54t is interesting. Would be a good option to do it at same time if changing from HG to microspline or millionaire style XD.

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
Just a small FYI that hasn't been mentioned. DT Swiss hybrid Spline wheels come with a 24 ratchet on a 350 hub. Looks like it is DT's preferred offering for EMTBs across their system wheels and their 350 and 240s hubs if you opt for "hybrid" in the selector.

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
From your experience and all the typing without actually did something, I call tell the 54T can chip much easier. Please don't be so sure about something you haven't done yet.

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
Got a photo of this setup? Keen to see how the spare batteries are connected to the bike while they are in your backpack.
mmexport1607819135947_1.jpg

Get one of these.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
54T can chip much easier
maxresdefault.jpg

Ok Doc. Exactly how many 54t DT Swiss ratchet rings have you managed to "chip" with the DeLorean?

Personally I have seen a few damaged DT hubs but generally they've been poorly maintained and the issue has come from neglect or bearing play that has not been resolved. Under normal Emtb (and looked after) use I honestly don't see this being a huge problem. But like I said at the beginning. if there is an issue DT's warranty will cover it.
Drama much? :oops:

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
Damn these keyboard detectives. I just asked the largest DT Swiss distributor and the short answer for warranty is no.
DT doesn't even cover the normal wear of components. And DT won't cover abnormal wear of components caused by additional electric assistance. In short, these components aren't built or sold for e-bike. They either haven't tested components under e-bike or know the components will fail.
Anyway, they told me to stick to 18T because the teeth is simply bigger and heavier than 36T, 54T.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've no idea where your secret location is but In this country a failed DT hub would be covered under warranty by the distributor.
Disclosure of the hub being used on a modded Lamborgini would be upto the punter/shop dealing with the warranty claim.

You should probably alter the thread title to represent the sheer awesomeness of your particular Ebike.
I still don't see the 54t ratchet being a huge issue on a normal class 1 Emtb.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Go and ride around the lake.

DT themselves do not directly deal with warranty here.

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
I will tell you the lake is rather big. 7 cities set around. There are several retailers for DT, but only one central distributor. Your DT retailer can of course say they cover the wear damage. Also, check the warranty page online.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No there are thousands of retailers who sell DT SWISS products
Several international distributors who supply said retailers
Customer Warranty lies with the retailer. and is based upon the distributors terms and conditions AND that countries sale of goods legislation.

I don't actually care where you live. but it doesn't sound great if you genuinely need to contact DT Swiss directly to sort out issues with parts bought from a retailer.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
you're clueless...
and you don't listen.
that's fine...but please stop now

[Read in bad HAIKU style]

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
As far as I can see 54 is only available on the 180 and 240 hubs and DT recommend 36 for most users especially MTB. The faster the engagement the more likely to get pedal kickback on full sus mtbs.....they say. I would think it would be roadies only that opt for 54 with 180 hubs......that said DT do not mention Delorean bikes so who knows!!

Epic_drifter

Oct 5, 2019
Finland
As far as I can see 54 is only available on the 180 and 240 hubs and DT recommend 36 for most users especially MTB. The faster the engagement the more likely to get pedal kickback on full sus mtbs.....they say. I would think it would be roadies only that opt for 54 with 180 hubs......that said DT do not mention Delorean bikes so who knows!!
Fast engangement is not really needed in roadbike. In addition, 54T has more drag than e.g. 18T. I have 54T on my MTB, 24T (hybrid version) on my EMTB and 36T on my roadbike. Quite optimal IMHO. I might still change from 36T to 18T in my road bike just to try it out...

MichalZ

Jun 29, 2020
Bedford
I've upgraded my H1700 ratchet from 24T to ZTTO 54T (Chinese knock off apparently made of the same material as the original) and that was a massive fail. 54T ratchet got obliterated within 2 hrs and I had to go back to 24T. The 54T engagement was amazing, but ebike was apparently too powerful for it. I wonder how the original DT Swiss ratchet would hold.

20210411_155939.jpg

20210411_155926.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Which is totally understandable!! The greater the number of engagements the smaller each area of engagement becomes. When the ratchet is fully engaged both are equally strong. The greater the number of engagement the faster it engages....BUT......it is the process of engagement which is weaker the greater the number of engagement points and the transition from freewheel to locked on a motor assisted bike is always likely to be more violent/greater initial force than an analogue bike. Probably why DT Swiss themselves recommend 18!!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Moved my Trek Rail to 54t last year No issues and I like the engagement. Hundreds of miles.

2022 Levo (higher end models at least) come stock with 54t DT also. Motor puts out over 700w of electrical power, they obviously deem the 54t fine for this kinda power (and rider power).

Epic_drifter

Oct 5, 2019
Finland
I've upgraded my H1700 ratchet from 24T to ZTTO 54T (Chinese knock off apparently made of the same material as the original) and that was a massive fail. 54T ratchet got obliterated within 2 hrs and I had to go back to 24T. The 54T engagement was amazing, but ebike was apparently too powerful for it. I wonder how the original DT Swiss ratchet would hold.

I would not say anything about DT Swiss ratchet durability based on experiences about chinese knock offs. But as said, 24T has been designed for ebikes and it is stronger than 54T version. I have 24T on my ebike and 36T&54T on my normal bikes and I think I will keep it that way.

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
54T worked fine for me on 350 hubs, upgraded from the original 18T, mainly for the noise to be honest. It moves people out of your way a little better.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles