Dry feet

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
How do you achieve this. I've just bought some Endura MT500 overshoes. Once they are on they are snug and cosy and I feel sure they will keep my feet dry but getting them on is like going 5 rounds with Mike Tyson in both time and effort so I'm not convinced that they will be practical for me. It's not just keeping my feet dry that's the issue, I think it's also advisable to keep the shoes dry if at all possible. What do you do? I'm talking flatties by the way.

Al

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Real world answer is that its nogh on impossible if you are out riding in bad conditons for more than a few hours - best option is waterproof socks like Sealskins IMO, paired up with a wet weather shoe. Only problem is if an dwhen water get insde the top of the sock, you still end up with wet feet!

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
To be fair I'm not talking about extreme conditions, I don't ride in the rain. I'm retired why should I :) but I was out in the woods yesterday and my shoes and feet got soaked from riding through puddles and I suspect that if I continue to ride in this way they won't last much longer. The shoes that is but who knows :)I also realised that if it had been really cold I would have been extremely uncomfortable. They are 5.10 free riders by the way.

I note with some interest that if you look at SPD compatible boots there are loads. Typically in a review 5 or 6 SPD types to one flattie which usually turns out to be the 5.10 boot version of the freerider.

Al

Last edited:

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Something like a Lake boot will keep your feet dry(er), and something like a 45NRTH boot will keep them dry(er) yet. But I've not found anything that will keep them truly dry.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I was ordering some workwear from my usual supplier a few weeks ago and came across these boots. The sole looked just the ticket so I ordered a pair. So far, they’re proving excellent to ride in. They are a little bulky compared to 5:10’s and the like, but having been out in the muck for the last three evenings I can boast completely dry feet.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I was ordering some workwear from my usual supplier a few weeks ago and came across these boots. The sole looked just the ticket so I ordered a pair. So far, they’re proving excellent to ride in. They are a little bulky compared to 5:10’s and the like, but having been out in the muck for the last three evenings I can boast completely dry feet.

I have tried some hiking boots I own but compared to the 5.10 free riders they feel bulky and remote from the pedals. I don't like them.

I'm also experimenting with the Endura overshoes. I've doctored an old pair of lightweight canvas approach shoes which happen to have sticky rubber soles and bulk wise are quite small. I've got them working as a slip-on so that they can stay inside the overshoe semi permanently. I've extended the pull on strap at the back so that it can be pulled from above the ankle on the overshoes. The thing with the overshoes is that they do look as though they will keep most of the water out as they clasp the ankle quite high up the leg. Watch this space.

If this doesn't work it looks like being a pair of the 5.10 boots although those boots you've linked to don't look too bad at all. How thick is the sole? That's the problem with the hiking boots I've tried, the sole is far too thick and bulky.

Al

Last edited:

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
The only thing I've found to actually work well are the waterproof socks. I'll hose out my cycling shoes after a ride and stuff newspaper in them to dry them out. Over shoes never worked out for me.

Good luck!

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Nothing in the current 5:10 line up is waterproof... there’s talk of some Goretex boots in the works, but no sign yet.
The sole on those boots is thick, and they’re wider than my usual shoes (Shimano GR7 or Freerider Pro) but after half a ride I was used to them. It’s just like adapting to wearing more clothes whilst riding in the cold... I hate it at first, but after a short while it just becomes the norm.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
The only thing I've found to actually work well are the waterproof socks. I'll hose out my cycling shoes after a ride and stuff newspaper in them to dry them out. Over shoes never worked out for me.

Good luck!
Defeats half the object for me though. I'm not convinced 5.10 free riders will put up with too much getting wet and force drying. I suppose that I could just accept that at the end on winter they will need to be binned. I've had them for a while but only got them wet a couple of times. Yesterday they seemed to take a battering and looked as though they didn't like it :) Yesterday's ride took more out of them than several months in the dry. I have tried overshoes in the past and they were useless but these Endura ones look promising, it's getting them on that's the issue.

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
I use Sealskinz socks with standard MTB shoes, they've kept my feet dry in all but the worst of UK conditions (where the only moisture has been what's come in the top of the sock and managed to overwhelm the sticky rubber seal thing). Even in that scenario your feet stay warm in my experience.

One thing they definitely won't do is keep your shoes dry, although the only way to do that is only ride in summer or stay indoors really!

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I use Sealskinz socks with standard MTB shoes, they've kept my feet dry in all but the worst of UK conditions (where the only moisture has been what's come in the top of the sock and managed to overwhelm the sticky rubber seal thing). Even in that scenario your feet stay warm in my experience.

One thing they definitely won't do is keep your shoes dry, although the only way to do that is only ride in summer or stay indoors really!
Yes I wore some really old sealskins, the ones that feel really weird. They did keep my feet dry but like I said I'm concerned about the shoes. I would prefer something either waterproof or at least leather so it can be treated but not hiking boots because they simply feel too clunky. It may help if I'm a little clearer about the riding I do. I'm not doing mammoth cross country trails that are inescapable. I'm mostly riding the Forest of Dean and similar areas around Cheltenham. I don't go out when it's raining so I'm really looking for something to stop puddle splashes, mud and wet grass. I'm not sure single track downhill and wellies really go well together although that would solve the problem :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

Interesting, they make good kit (I work in construction) - how's the grip on the sole? Looks similar to some of the Vibram offerings found on MTB shoes?

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Interesting, they make good kit (I work in construction) - how's the grip on the sole? Looks similar to some of the Vibram offerings found on MTB shoes?
Grip is good. Perhaps not quite as grippy as 5:10 stealth rubber, but on a par if not better than that afforded by the Shimano GR7. The soles look similar to those used on some Giro shoes.

Here they are having been in action:

image.jpg

Last edited:

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I've ended up buying some Shimano GP-9 shoes. I can't believe how much they cost and I can't believe how long it's taken me to find flat MTB shoes that come somewhere near meeting my requirements. :)

Al

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

They look very good! The stated weight for a size 42 is an amazing 600 grams (assuming that is the weight for a pair!). If I didn't already have a spare pair of Shimnao AM42 waiting for my current ones to wear out (almost there!), then I'd chance my arm on the ones you posted about. I will save the link just in case.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I've ended up buying some Shimano GP-9 shoes. I can't believe how much they cost and I can't believe how long it's taken me to find flat MTB shoes that come somewhere near meeting my requirements. :)

Al
Glad you’ve decided on something. I really like my Shimano GR7’s and tend to grab those in favour of my 5:10s most of the time. They’re not remotely waterproof though, and I’m pretty sure the GR9s aren’t either. On the plus side they’re less ‘spongelike’ than 5:10s and dry out quicker.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Glad you’ve decided on something. I really like my Shimano GR7’s and tend to grab those in favour of my 5:10s most of the time. They’re not remotely waterproof though, and I’m pretty sure the GR9s aren’t either. On the plus side they’re less ‘spongelike’ than 5:10s and dry out quicker.
Really I was just looking for something that would repel mud/puddle splashes and wipe down after a ride. Neither applies to the standard Freeriders. It's taken me several hours to find something. Many were out of stock or did not have my size.

Al

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Gaitors. I know you've said you didn't get on with them while walking, but literally nothing I've tried comes close.

BigMark

E*POWAH Master
Feb 10, 2020
Teva Arrowood, works as advertised and very comfortable. Teva makes great shoes, sandals and boots.

s-l640.jpg

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Teva Arrowood, works as advertised and very comfortable. Teva makes great shoes, sandals and boots.

s-l640.jpg
I might wear something like that on a long cross country ride but not at the trail centre down hills. I like to feel the soles of my feet on the pedals when I'm hurtling down a single track at break neck speed and taking air. I have tried something similar and it felt awful.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Grip is good. Perhaps not quite as grippy as 5:10 stealth rubber, but on a par if not better than that afforded by the Shimano GR7. The soles look similar to those used on some Giro shoes.

Here they are having been in action:

View attachment 41713
I use the Kastra boots for work with the BOA lacing.. they are probably decent winter riding boots as well and still cheaper than Five Ten's :D

kilorand

Nov 9, 2020
New Forest

I can confirm that GR9s are nowhere near waterproof. And take an age to dry out. And then start to stink. I'm with the OP - I'm not to bothered about having dry feet as I'm a leisure rider and only doing 90 minute rides max in the winter but I'm fed up with wet stinking shoes.

kilorand

Nov 9, 2020
New Forest
Having been on this quest for quite a while I've also gone down the Engelbert Strauss route. Just waiting for them to arrive. In addition to the Peitho Mid (currently on offer at £70 - bargain) they also do the Tethys. Boa-dial, not too aggressive sole, mid boot. Hopefully will play nice with my flats (DMR V12).
Tethys boot

Journey to date:

I looked at the Endura overshoes but couldn't get them on my GR9s - size 43 - and I always hated overshoes as a road cyclist so I knew they were a non-starter

Sealskinz socks work well but don't solve the issue of water getting in the top of the shoe, or overtopping the sock defences. And they take an age to dry once wet internally so end up being quite an expensive investment as you need a couple of pairs

I looked at the Vaude Moab AM but the one real-world review I've found wasn't great - in typical British conditions the reviewer found that they were only partially waterproof and took an age to dry out.

In the FiveTen/Terrex world there are persistent rumours of a flat version of this boot coming Terrex Freehiker which looks like the holy grail. Fearsomely expensive though. Were they a bit cheaper I might have risked it as the Conti sole doesn't look too aggressive for flats.

Another option might be neoprene walking wellies - I was chatting to a dog walker on my ride this morning and they had very tight fitting wellies (a bit like riding boots) that were conventional welly at the bottom with effectively an integral neoprene gaiter all the way to the knee.

And one final option - yachtie shoes from places like NeilPryde. Effectively a neoprene dive boot mated with a non-slip sole. Kayakers wear them apparently. I guess it just depends on how stiff/durable the sole is, but if you can tune your pins accordingly they might be a goer. As might Offroad Sport Crocs - somewhat popular with bikepackers who need to ford streams.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I can confirm that GR9s are nowhere near waterproof. And take an age to dry out. And then start to stink. I'm with the OP - I'm not to bothered about having dry feet as I'm a leisure rider and only doing 90 minute rides max in the winter but I'm fed up with wet stinking shoes.
If they are "nowhere near waterproof" how come after a ride I can spray them carefully with a pressure washer to get the mud off but my feet remain dry? My 5.10 Freeriders get soaked if they just catch sight of a puddle in the far distance.:)

My GR9's may not be officially waterproof but to date they have done a damned good job at keeping my feet dry. Admittedly it's primarily puddle splashes and not a full on down pour but to describe them as "nowhere near waterproof" is inaccurate and doing them a disservice IMO. You could of course have a faulty pair, I have no way of knowing.

Al

kilorand

Nov 9, 2020
New Forest
If they are "nowhere near waterproof" how come after a ride I can spray them carefully with a pressure washer to get the mud off but my feet remain dry? My 5.10 Freeriders get soaked if they just catch sight of a puddle in the far distance.:)

My GR9's may not be officially waterproof but to date they have done a damned good job at keeping my feet dry. Admittedly it's primarily puddle splashes and not a full on down pour but to describe them as "nowhere near waterproof" is inaccurate and doing them a disservice IMO. You could of course have a faulty pair, I have no way of knowing.

Al
I wonder if we're talking about the same shoe - mine are these Shimano GR9

In puddly trail/XC rides wearing Sealskinz mid socks I find mine just end up drenched inside and out. I'm not fording rivers in these things, just the occasional forest puddle. I tend to ride every day I can and quickly run out of newspaper to dry them with - they're certainly not dry by the next day, and of course they start to stink. Wouldn't say I'm a particularly fast or aggressive rider and I do actively try to stay clear of puddles. The loamy sandy stuff I ride on down here (New Forest) just sticks everywhere inside and out too. It's a shame because I love them for dry riding, they're by far the most comfortable shoes I've owned in almost 10 years of cycling.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Yes. That's the shoe I have. I'm not claiming they are waterproof, I haven't tested them in full on wet conditions but for cycling through numerous puddles and mud on, typically, 3 hour rides mine have held up well. I've even cleaned the excess mud off with a pressure washer with no leaks to date. The material of the outer, unlike the 5.10 Freeriders, even looks more water resistant and lends itself to wiping down.

kilorand

Nov 9, 2020
New Forest
The wipeability and lace cover was what gave me great hopes for the GR9s. I think my issue is water coming in the top and soaking the shoe from the inside out. Starting to wonder if the ideal solution is interchangeable GTX booties like 45NRTH use.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
The wipeability and lace cover was what gave me great hopes for the GR9s. I think my issue is water coming in the top and soaking the shoe from the inside out. Starting to wonder if the ideal solution is interchangeable GTX booties like 45NRTH use.
I don't think shoes can ever be considered fully waterproof unless you can seal the holes where you put your foot in. A reasonable test would be to fit gaiters over them and see how you get on then. I think that you may be pleasantly surprised at how water resistant they actually are.

kilorand

Nov 9, 2020
New Forest
Engelbert Strauss order arrived today - very impressed with the quality of the boots. I'm going with the Peitho mids, mainly because I should have sized up in the big Tethys boot.

Their sizing is accurate but the forefoot is slightly narrower than I'm used to so bear that in mind - particularly with winter socks on. Will probably swap to quicklaces on them too.

I reckon that the Tethys boot would also do the job - incredibly lightweight for its size. Central Boa system, really good footbed that's designed to take an orthotic if you need one. Plenty of arch support in them to - coming from the boot itself rather than the footbed. Ankles very well protected. On trying them on the only concern I had was that the tongue gusset near the ankle finishes quite low down - possibly would have an effect on water coming in.

Back to the Peitho and the soles look and feel ideal for pinned flats. Lugs are about 3mm deep. Satisfying sticky noise when you pull them off wooden floors. Good ankle padding too. Bit of a bargain at under £70 I think

Tethys boot:
IMG_20201110_121300671.jpg IMG_20201110_121536092.jpg IMG_20201110_121511971.jpg IMG_20201110_121351588.jpg IMG_20201110_121309648.jpg

Peitho Mid (yes, I know they won't look like this for long)

IMG_20201110_122045997.jpg
IMG_20201110_122054974.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles