• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Dropper post slack cable

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Hi, not had a dropper post before so could do with some advice. I loosened the clamp as seat was too high and adjusted the height. Now the lever seems slack presumably because the cable is now loose. How do I correct this? Is it simply a matter of rotating the barrel adjuster?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Does everything work perfectly, aside from the floppy lever? If so, you could adjust the barrel and hope for the best.

Many dropper cable housings stay connected to the seat post by the grace of God and little else. If you pull up on the seatpost too hard, or yank on the cable housing, the housing will come out of its socket and you'll have to remove the seatpost to put it back. It's not difficult, just an annoyance.

As you slowwwly remove the seatpost, you'll have to feed the cable housing through the frame at the front of the bike. If you don't feed it in fast enough, the housing will come out of the socket. Once you get it apart, you'll see what's going on. When replacing the seatpost, you'll need to pull the housing from the front of the bike. If you get excited and pull too hard on the housing, you'll pull it out of the socket on the dropper post, and you'll need to start all over.

It's not rocket science. But it's not obvious until you've seen it.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Does everything work perfectly, aside from the floppy lever? If so, you could adjust the barrel and hope for the best.

Many dropper cable housings stay connected to the seat post by the grace of God and little else. If you pull up on the seatpost too hard, or yank on the cable housing, the housing will come out of its socket and you'll have to remove the seatpost to put it back. It's not difficult, just an annoyance.

As you slowwwly remove the seatpost, you'll have to feed the cable housing through the frame at the front of the bike. If you don't feed it in fast enough, the housing will come out of the socket. Once you get it apart, you'll see what's going on. When replacing the seatpost, you'll need to pull the housing from the front of the bike. If you get excited and pull too hard on the housing, you'll pull it out of the socket on the dropper post, and you'll need to start all over.

It's not rocket science. But it's not obvious until you've seen it.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes it’s just a floppy lever. Everything else works fine. Bought bike second hand and the seat was way too high for me so had to lower it into the frame. I’ll try adjusting the barrel and see if it improves

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes it’s just a floppy lever. Everything else works fine. Bought bike second hand and the seat was way too high for me so had to lower it into the frame. I’ll try adjusting the barrel and see if it improves
If the lever works fine then (after winding the barrel adjuster in) you should be able to loosen the cable hold bolt, pull some slack cable through, re-tighten the bolt. Then use the barrel adjuster for fine adjustment.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Are you sure that the cable has not become bent inside the frame? You were pushing on a flexible cable and mostly they don't flow smoothly through the frame when pushed. They need to be pulled. Raise the dropper back to where it was and, whilst feeding the dropper cable back down the seat tube, pull on the remote end to keep the cable taut.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles