Does anyone else hate the ridecontrol ergo 3 as much as I do

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
I had the Ridecontrol Ergo on my Stance and it worked really well. My new trance has the egro 3 and it is horrible. There is little to no tactile feedback that you actually pushed the button and half the time it does not register that you pushed the button. It is very difficult to push the buttons.

Does anyone know if you put an ergo, ergo 2 or ergo dash on 2024 Trance?

Base

Jul 21, 2023
Toronto
I like that the Ergo 3 is low profile but it would be better paired with a display like the Shimano EP8 has beside the stem. The inframe lights is very basic as well. Having options is good.

You can buy the Ergo and swap out the Ergo 3 on the trance but the little switch is way overpriced at least in Canada anyways.

RideOn!

Mar 7, 2024
Canada
@CraigR , The buttons on the Ergo 3 being curved is a poor design choice. it’s to easy for your finger/thumb to slip off while pressing it in a hurry.

For my GIANT TRANCE X ADVANCED E+ Elite, I ordered a RideControl Ergo to replace the Ergo 3. It was necessary to order a Y-CONNECTOR cable as well. The RideControl Ergo has flat buttons, instead of the curved buttons.

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
@CraigR , The buttons on the Ergo 3 being curved is a poor design choice. it’s to easy for your finger/thumb to slip off while pressing it in a hurry.

For my GIANT TRANCE X ADVANCED E+ Elite, I ordered a RideControl Ergo to replace the Ergo 3. It was necessary to order a Y-CONNECTOR cable as well. The RideControl Ergo has flat buttons, instead of the curved buttons.
Thanks, I think I will look into this. My 2020 Stance has the Ergo and I liked that much better.

Last edited:

Oldfella

Feb 1, 2023
new zealand
Hi. I have the same issue, is the new button easier to use and did you think of trying the Ride Control dash. Do you need any extra cables and how do you remove the top tube display to plug it in. Thanks

Oldfella

Feb 1, 2023
new zealand
Just upgraded to the Ridecontrol Ergo.
Had to buy a Ridecontrol and a Y connecter cable. Reasonable price in NZ, $95 for the ridecontrol and $50 for the cable.
Shifted the original controller to the other side in case the new one gets damaged { it's pretty ugly but easy to use} and still managed to get the top tube display to work as well as the lights on the Ridecontrol.

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
I am still thinking about going to the ridecontrol EVO or ridecontrol Dash. Been doing a bit a research. To go from the Ergo 3/Ridecontrol Go to the Ego, Ergo 2, Dash or Evo you need the Y-connector to connect them to the Ridecontrol Go. Attached is a wiring diagram. Someone asked about how to get to the wires. I believe you need to pull the battery, but I have not done it yet. Note that the ridecontrol Go has two additional wires not used in the below diagram. They are labeled Left and Right. This is where the Ridecontrol Ego 3 plugs in. You can have an Ego 3 on both your left and right handle bars and control the functions of the buttons via the ridecontrol app. Make sure you tape all connections so they don't disconnect on you.

I also seem to remember reading somewhere that in the US (I don't think it applies outside the US, but don' t know for sure) you have to have your LBS do this "upgrade" or it will void the warranty.

Ride control diagram.jpg

Last edited:

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
Just upgraded to the Ridecontrol Ergo.
Had to buy a Ridecontrol and a Y connecter cable. Reasonable price in NZ, $95 for the ridecontrol and $50 for the cable.
Shifted the original controller to the other side in case the new one gets damaged { it's pretty ugly but easy to use} and still managed to get the top tube display to work as well as the lights on the Ridecontrol.
You say still managed to get the top tube display to work. Did you have to do something special to get them to work? Firmware upgrade? Something else?

Oldfella

Feb 1, 2023
new zealand
You say still managed to get the top tube display to work. Did you have to do something special to get them to work? Firmware upgrade? Something else?
I can't remember what order I plugged the cables in. It took me several attempts but I have both controllers and the top tube display working. I put the Egro wire through the spare cut out in the side of the frame. Use a fine screw drive at the front of the display and a flap lifts up with a screw under it. Remove the screw and the display comes out and you can access the cables, no need to remove the battery.

IMG_6184.JPG IMG_6183.JPG IMG_6181.JPG

Uphill Phil

Aug 9, 2024
San Diego
I had the Ridecontrol Ergo on my Stance and it worked really well. My new trance has the egro 3 and it is horrible. There is little to no tactile feedback that you actually pushed the button and half the time it does not register that you pushed the button. It is very difficult to push the buttons.

Does anyone know if you put an ergo, ergo 2 or ergo dash on 2024 Trance?
Ditto. The worst part of my 2023 Trance X Advanced Elite is that Ergo 3 control switch. I'm not sure if it's a mechanical issue where the button doesn't responds to the push or if it's a software issue that limits the changing of the assist level.
The non responsive respond usually happens when going down from a higher assist level to a lower assist level during load. I would have to repeatly take my eyes off the trail and look down at the display on the top tube to see if anything has happened and that sucks too. Ergonomically, that's a terrible placement to read real time data but that's a different story.

Does anyone know if the older Ride Control One switch is interchangeable with the Ergo 3?

Oldfella

Feb 1, 2023
new zealand
It works well, you can feel the switch and you don't have to look down. The positioning is a bit awkward because it's not designed to fit with the shimano brake lever but it's the best out there at the moment, and it's handy putting the original one on the other side. I thought about trying to fit the Trek EXE switch as that is really compact and a great feel but it uses 5 wires and the Yamaha has 6, I'm sure it could be done but beyond me.

Cory

Aug 26, 2024
Vancouver Island
The Egro 3 needs a design update, if you wear full finger gloves you know what I’m talking about. They need to increase the height of the up/down buttons and add some non slip material. A temp solution thats been working for me was to add duct tape making them taller with more grip. Seems to be working for the last few months.

IMG_2388.png

RideOn!

Mar 7, 2024
Canada
The shape of the + - buttons should not match the curve of the handlebar. They should be flat to provide a flat/positive surface to press against. Can someone 3D print some new buttons for us?

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
I think the switch is good actually: it's really low profile to the point that it's not noticeable and yet has two ridges on each +/- switch that can easily be felt through gloves. One idea for those who dislike it might be to rotate it so that your thumb hits it at a different angle?

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
I think the switch is good actually: it's really low profile to the point that it's not noticeable and yet has two ridges on each +/- switch that can easily be felt through gloves. One idea for those who dislike it might be to rotate it so that your thumb hits it at a different
Can't argue with the sleek look, but the buttons should give a little more support/feedback. The bigger issue I have with the controller is the functionality and response.

Why can we turn on the lights(that we don't have) with it, but can't turn off/on the whole system, because it's kinda sketchy looking down the downtube midride and trying to press the fu... on/off button for 3s...

The other one is fast repeated presses don't work, for every level change you need to press and release for a brief moment or so, for the next press to be registered. I think some have been referring to this as unresponsive buttons.

Example run into a steep climb and want to go up fast 2 levels or 3 levels, it's impossible to do so, without loosing some momentum and looking down the downtube if you got into your wanted assistance level.
Off course someone will say why don't you just leave it in turbo, well that's not my style, I like to work out on my ebike.

It would be great if the remote would also have say a simple small led showing the current assistance level in color, that way you don't need to look down.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles