Does an Ebike make your legs waste away ;-)

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Great question!
IMO, all about the application /use of tools. I've met emtb riders. 100% Turbo!
Me? I want "just enough" help to make it to get more laps/climbs in.
Hence, my consideration to sell Full fat and stick with SL.
PS: I still ride my standard bikes!
Agreed. Everyone has different reasons/uses for the e-bike. I got it to renew my interest in riding as I was tired of doing big climbs and walking half the time. Also keeping up with fitter riders was a big issue as they didn't like to take breaks either so when I'd catch up they would just be ready to go again. Also big mountain epics are more palatable as I no longer need to train for like 4 months to have fitness to do a 1500-2000 meter day.

The bonus that I never realized was I could have an incredibly capable DH oriented pedal bike. That has just blown me away how capable it is at fast DH.

Also I've increased muscle mass from so much riding lately so thats been awesome too.
Yesterday we did 1100 meters and steep dh tracks in about 1h 20mins and we were pretty casual with it. It would take twice as long to shuttle that!

I ride with both regular bike riders and ebike. I'm easy, I just like to get out and enjoy it.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
In my experience, yes it does. Can you push hard on an eMTB? Sure. But if you're only riding eMTB it's unlikely that you'll push yourself as consistently hard as you would on an Amish bike. It varies week by week, but lately I'm on the eMTB one day a week and the regular bike(s) four days a week.

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
My ebikes are uplift vans. Simple as that. On my Ebike days i don't care about my HR, my cardio, they're just a method of getting me to the top of the hill to get back down the trails.
I still ride my MTB equally in terms of days out and on the other days i'll be found riding on Zwift to sort the cardio side of things, so the Eeb, well that's just a means to an end. I go to places where i have and can pedal up, sure, been there done that. But these days, i just want the fun side of things sometimes... So i pull out the power.

Desmopilot

Feb 25, 2024
USA
The Bullit has allowed me to overcome the arthritis in both my knees. When one of my knees starts to give out, I bump up a power level step until I recover, then bump it back down. I set the STEPs to have 6 power levels and spend most of my time between level 3 and 4. Hit 5 a couple times briefly. I can clear climbs again that I haven't been able to do in years. I'm now able to ride 2 days in a row without limping afterwards and my leg muscles are returning. Riding the Bullit has brought real joy back to mountain biking for me. It's a beast on the downhill as well.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I've lost 'peak' power since I began riding the e-bike but it sure seems like my Z2 stuff is notably better. I feel really strong on my normal bike lately.

Also, my technique seems really good lately as well and I think the e-bike has assisted with this.

I will say that my normal bike is a weight weenie fast rolling trail bike. My days of pushing around a 33# AM/ Enduro bike on heavy tires are over. Just isn't fun any longer to me.

Have the Relay for the gnar and the Smuggler for the trails.

Last edited:

Don805

Oct 11, 2022
United States California
Yes and no, I just experiencing the same thing. After spending the last 2 and a half years just e-biking (I ride everywhere as fast as i can, have a 60nm and full fat) Last week I pulled one of my Amish bikes off the wall and went for a ride. Holy crap i spent the first 15 minutes stopping to see why when the bike was under load it felt like the rear hub was locking up:ROFLMAO:. This feeling went away by the third ride.

My conclusion was that my leg muscles had gotten used to the e-bike high cadence and had to be retrained to the Amish bikes slower more powerful pedal stroke. Maybe a muscle firing thing ??.

I am going to add some Amish bike riding back in from time to time. Not as much fun as the e-bikes though.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Yes and no, I just experiencing the same thing. After spending the last 2 and a half years just e-biking (I ride everywhere as fast as i can, have a 60nm and full fat) Last week I pulled one of my Amish bikes off the wall and went for a ride. Holy crap i spent the first 15 minutes stopping to see why when the bike was under load it felt like the rear hub was locking up:ROFLMAO:. This feeling went away by the third ride.

My conclusion was that my leg muscles had gotten used to the e-bike high cadence and had to be retrained to the Amish bikes slower more powerful pedal stroke. Maybe a muscle firing thing ??.

I am going to add some Amish bike riding back in from time to time. Not as much fun as the e-bikes though.
Have you got shorter cranks on the ebikes? That'll play a pretty big part in the cadence vs torque thing and definitely takes a bit of getting used to unless you're switching between them regularly.

If, (like me) you've got shorter cranks on the ebike, you'll be used to higher cadence. When you try to spin the longer cranks at the same cadence you'll need a whole lot more power to keep them turning at the same speed.

I always try to focus on effort rather than speed. Chasing speed, whether that's trail speed or cadence, is an easy way to burn out.

Don805

Oct 11, 2022
United States California
Have you got shorter cranks on the ebikes? That'll play a pretty big part in the cadence vs torque thing and definitely takes a bit of getting used to unless you're switching between them regularly.

If, (like me) you've got shorter cranks on the ebike, you'll be used to higher cadence. When you try to spin the longer cranks at the same cadence you'll need a whole lot more power to keep them turning at the same speed.

I always try to focus on effort rather than speed. Chasing speed, whether that's trail speed or cadence, is an easy way to burn out.
Good point. Both my e-bikes have shorter cranks.

Also, I noticed when climbing steep grades on an Amish bike there is a leverage thing going on. More pulling or locking against the bars as we torque through our pedal strokes. Not sure how to explain, but i find ride e-bikes hands stay pretty lite on the bars and the push/ pull thing is not really needed.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Maybe fill the tyres with sand, or put a rubber band around the rear brake lever.
200 IQ
Tim And Eric Omg GIF

Lazy Clydesdale

Apr 24, 2024
Maryland
I have started "cross training" by riding with the motor off at some point in my rides, because of this concern.

I could ride my regular bikes, but now that I have adapted to this emtb, those feel very twitchy. With a race coming up soon, I think it best to not go back and forth.

One of my favorite horrible experiences was climbing Rocacorba in July on a rented Moterra without using the motor. Good for mental discipline to not push that power button and end the suffering instantly..

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
For me though, the main reason for buying an ebike was to be able to ride for longer rather than be able to do shorter rides quicker.

Yeah, I could stick to a normal MTB and get a killer workout over 20 miles but then I only get to do 20 miles.

The ebike means I can go out and do double that.

Just going faster with the assistance on is great for the legs but doesn't keep my heart rate up like it would with the motor off or if I'm riding a normal bike.

Last ride I did, I tried again. The last 4 or 5 miles back to the car is relatively flat. Couple of gentle climbs but nothing sustained. I left the bike in Trail and basically ride as fast as possible the whole way back. My legs were on fire but I was barely out of breath.

That's a good workout for the legs. But there can't have been any real fitness benefit. If I'd have done it with the motor off, I'd have at least got my heart rate up a bit.

Exactly this.

It's so eaay to fall into the into the trap of thinking I'll turn the assistance up on this bit because it's a bit of a drag. And Oh, this hill is a bit difficult, I'll just up the power a bit. "well, this bit is boring so I'll power through on boost until the next fun bit".

Before you know it, your fitness starts to disappear and it's only when you jump on a normal bike that you reasise how much it's suffered.
I think you might have misunderstood me. I'm not out there doing the same distance as mtb in a shorter time. I'll do the same time or longer and go for more distance more speed, more laps.

I don't get how people cant get a workout in higher power levels. I just push until I hit the limiter then keep pushing. The very reason I got an e-bike was increase fun per hour. Reduce the boring bits I don't like and increase the fun bits and ride stuff that isn't possible to ride on an mtb.

When I come to that boring bit I don't throttle back on power, I up the power and stomp that boring piece of shit section as fast as I can.

I have no desire to ride an emtb at mtb speeds or even similar speeds up. I want to despatch that climb asap so i can move onto the next down and then the next climb.

I'll admit that sometimes i get leg burn without lung bursting, but often the combo is there as i'm just pushing hard everywhere. I find I push harder on the E than i do on the mtb because i dont need to keep anything in the tank on the E. Blow myself up on the e. Slap it in boost, back the effort off and recover. One the mtb I typically leave something in the tank to get home.

FYI, I'm 50% mtb/E. So I dont need to ride the e with the motor switch off to try and get mtb resistance. I just ride my mtb when i want mtb resistance. The mtb is fun and playful and i enjoy the shit out that riding style. The E is a god damn monster truck or warp factor ploughing which is also fun AF. Both compliment each other.

By riding both e and mtb I dont have to try an emulate mtb with the E. I just immerse myself in full guttural E mania.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
I think you might have misunderstood me. I'm not out there doing the same distance as mtb in a shorter time. I'll do the same time or longer and go for more distance more speed, more laps.

I don't get how people cant get a workout in higher power levels. I just push until I hit the limiter then keep pushing. The very reason I got an e-bike was increase fun per hour. Reduce the boring bits I don't like and increase the fun bits and ride stuff that isn't possible to ride on an mtb.

When I come to that boring bit I don't throttle back on power, I up the power and stomp that boring piece of shit section as fast as I can.

I have no desire to ride an emtb at mtb speeds or even similar speeds up. I want to despatch that climb asap so i can move onto the next down and then the next climb.

I'll admit that sometimes i get leg burn without lung bursting, but often the combo is there as i'm just pushing hard everywhere. I find I push harder on the E than i do on the mtb because i dont need to keep anything in the tank on the E. Blow myself up on the e. Slap it in boost, back the effort off and recover. One the mtb I typically leave something in the tank to get home.

FYI, I'm 50% mtb/E. So I dont need to ride the e with the motor switch off to try and get mtb resistance. I just ride my mtb when i want mtb resistance. The mtb is fun and playful and i enjoy the shit out that riding style. The E is a god damn monster truck or warp factor ploughing which is also fun AF. Both compliment each other.

By riding both e and mtb I dont have to try an emulate mtb with the E. I just immerse myself in full guttural E mania.
Man the first time I used an e-bike it was an absolute game changer on flatter chunky sections. Like the lightbulb just went off in my brain and I realised I could be sending those sections at 30kmh straight into the next dh section. I remember my buddies on regular bikes saying how the trail we did was a bit crappy because it had these sections that werent flowy and ruined the trail. I on the other hand had an absolute blaster down it. I had rented it for a multi day bike trip last summer because I wasn't in any shape for daily 900 meter climbs lol. It was my test to see if I wanted to buy an e-bike. Bought one about a month later.

The bike I rented was a rockymountain altitude powerplay. It was a great bike but I wanted a bike with more travel and an easily replaceable battery. When I go do a big day say in whistler I will bring a 900w battery and a 540w and do like a 2500 meter day hitting different spots.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
^^^
Having spare batteries is a must if you want to work out AND have fun on an emtb, (or a fast charger 😄).
Using only one, its hard to get more than 1:30 hours riding. I miss the long 4+ hours I used to do with the naughtybikes.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
^^^
Having spare batteries is a must if you want to work out AND have fun on an emtb, (or a fast charger 😄).
Using only one, its hard to get more than 1:30 hours riding. I miss the long 4+ hours I used to do with the naughtybikes.
Yeah in hindsight I would of just bought two 900w batteries lol

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Man the first time I used an e-bike it was an absolute game changer on flatter chunky sections. Like the lightbulb just went off in my brain and I realised I could be sending those sections at 30kmh straight into the next dh section. I remember my buddies on regular bikes saying how the trail we did was a bit crappy because it had these sections that werent flowy and ruined the trail. I on the other hand had an absolute blaster down it. I had rented it for a multi day bike trip last summer because I wasn't in any shape for daily 900 meter climbs lol. It was my test to see if I wanted to buy an e-bike. Bought one about a month later.

The bike I rented was a rockymountain altitude powerplay. It was a great bike but I wanted a bike with more travel and an easily replaceable battery. When I go do a big day say in whistler I will bring a 900w battery and a 540w and do like a 2500 meter day hitting different spots.
Nice, what bike did you end up with?

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Nice, what bike did you end up with?
I got a 2023 norco range vlt a2, it was 45% off and I got like 45% off on the additional bigger battery as well. I wanted the rockshox package as the yoke setup isn't good for fox dhx 2 (prone to blowing up) and also I wanted the zeb so I could put the 190mm airshaft in. The higher spec range vlt a1 didnt have the specs I wanted anyway. Had to do a few upgrades, 40mm rise bars, stronger wheels (blew up the back wheel after about 5 rides). Different brake pads,discs.

The bike is a dh machine that climbs everything, quite happy with it. It probably weighs over 60lbs but I hardly notice it anymore after enough adapting to it.

The new norco ranges have the bosch motors and high pivot but that isn't really enough difference for me. I think my next bike will be a few iterations out when bombardier makes a good bike with pinions transmission gear box. No more derailleurs 😅

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles