Does a brand new motor need programing?

Andrew426

Sep 27, 2022
New Zealand
Hi all, as the title states I would like to know if a brand new performance line CX G4 motor needs to be programmed or any kind of calibration done on it when it's installed on a bike, or is it a plug and play type of thing? The bike is not smart system, if that matters. Prurion controller and 625wh battery

My original motor had some issues caused by water getting into it, I paid for a rebuild at a shop and 150km later the motor developed play in the crank and a cutting out issue. It's now back at the shop that rebuilt it, they have had it 5 weeks already and are saying it'll be another month at least before the parts they need to repair it will be shipped. That's too long, so I have purchased a new motor from a different Bosch agent - for only a little bit more than what the original rebuild cost me. I'm going to go pick up my bike next week when the new motor arrives. I don't want to pay the shop that did the motor rebuild to install it for me.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think it needs the LBS to plug into the bike in order to give the controller (in this case the Purion) the details of the new motor so it is recognised on the CAN network.

Andrew426

Sep 27, 2022
New Zealand
I think it needs the LBS to plug into the bike in order to give the controller (in this case the Purion) the details of the new motor so it is recognised on the CAN network.
Interesting. In my own understanding of CAN (from converting electric busses) the motor should include its own CAN identifier in the messages it sends, and there's not really any reason the new motor would have a different identifier than the old motor as they are the same brand and model.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Installation of Bosch SmartSystem Motors require a download of a configuration file from Bosch, this configuration file includes the ebike manufacturer configuration: Wheel diameter, Speed Limit, Light Port, High and Lower Voltage Ports, Speed sensor magnet location (Spoke or valve), PowerMore allowed or not, and many other parameters. This file can not be loaded by LBS alone, they have to contact Bosch.

This happened to me during the installation of PowerMore.

Andrew426

Sep 27, 2022
New Zealand
Installation of Bosch SmartSystem Motors require a download of a configuration file from Bosch, this configuration file includes the ebike manufacturer configuration: Wheel diameter, Speed Limit, Light Port, High and Lower Voltage Ports, Speed sensor magnet location (Spoke or valve), PowerMore allowed or not, and many other parameters. This file can not be loaded by LBS alone, they have to contact Bosch.

This happened to me during the installation of PowerMore.
Thanks for that info, I'll see if the shop can pre program it off the bike, or if the bosch distributor can do it before it's dispatched.

The shop that has my bike is 4 hours drive away and about an hour beyond that is a really great bike park so I'm hoping I can go there, pick up my bike and install the motor in the car park and take it for a ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles