Dodging the lynching

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Where are you America? They seem very anti eBikes there due to land access issues where I think in the early days of eBikes people were taking out hub drive bore which were basically dirt bikes!!

My cousin came over from the states and we went for a ride over Xmas and he said he was amazed how many walkers said hi and smiled. He said in the US there’s a very definitive divide between the two which has fractured each biking community. There’s even a Group called the DGAF’s who stick fingers up at hikers..!

People hate Porsche drivers, but they are awesome cars.. :)

Bohn101

Jan 3, 2019
Colorado
I'm in Colorado, kinda between Golden (pro-ebike) & Boulder (lynch-ebike). Yeah I've got a BMW 435i (that my mate and I installed a Stealth Hitch on yesterday for biking). Sorta similar, we're seems as pretentious drivers (I do feel a bit more so while in it :p ).

Golden (Jefferson County) went thru pilot program last year and have completely accepted class one e-bikes on all the trails.

Boulder on the other hand is going through a pilot program this year, but they have already excluded all mountain trails from even the pilot program.

The hate is strong here. It'll eventually change as many prejudice topics do.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Strangely the States seem behind on this!

In France they are totally loved and accepted. You still get the odd comment here but everything is in jest. Had one very sarky comment in the car park but hey, such is life.

Enjoy. Many many miles of serious fun ahead of you!!

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Once people try them they love them. I have to say that most road cyclists are against them or make odd remarks because they enjoy the purity of cycling a standard bike and that's totally cool too! Everyone on bikes should just get along :p

You;ll love riding your emtb for sure ;)

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Most people say they don’t want to try one as they know they will want one ;)
Most people say "it's cheating" or "I've still got my legs" it's just a bit of stubbornness to accept that e-bikes as a whole are changing the lives of many people and becoming something that we see everywhere :)

craig landau

Dec 19, 2018
brisbane australia
call it what you want , for me im almost 50 rode my first bmx in the 70s raced moto x 250 cc and 500 cc class from the age of 11 to 18 , got onto downhill at the age of 40 . knees are fucked so is my neck and lower back , i should be sitting in the pub wasting my life like most 50 year olds who think they have had a hard life but i choose to go camping with my kids and explore the tracks as far and as much as i can while my ass points to the ground

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
I'm in Colorado, kinda between Golden (pro-ebike) & Boulder (lynch-ebike). Yeah I've got a BMW 435i (that my mate and I installed a Stealth Hitch on yesterday for biking). Sorta similar, we're seems as pretentious drivers (I do feel a bit more so while in it :p ).

Welcome, seems to be a slightly more liberal attitude here in the UK but they aren’t as yet widely accepted and we still get some grumbling. As an aside, although I’m in the UK I’ve spent a little time in your neighbour last year working in Highlands Ranch. I’ve i ever make it back I’ll give you a holler ??

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Once people try them they love them. I have to say that most road cyclists are against them or make odd remarks because they enjoy the purity of cycling a standard bike and that's totally cool too! Everyone on bikes should just get along :p
Don’t underestimate the effect of Strava either, at least in the roadie world - I overheard a conversation on a cafe the other day when I was on my gravel bike about ebikes “...polluting our boards and making the whole thing pointless”! Luckily I managed to squish my incredulous snigger sufficiently to avoid being outed as a non Velominati, ebike liking charlatan... ?

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Don’t underestimate the effect of Strava either, at least in the roadie world - I overheard a conversation on a cafe the other day when I was on my gravel bike about ebikes “...polluting our boards and making the whole thing pointless”! Luckily I managed to squish my incredulous snigger sufficiently to avoid being outed as a non Velominati, ebike liking charlatan... ?

Haha Strava is their pride and joy. I've heard horror stories of some roadies going out killing people who have posted e-bike times. Upload with caution :ROFLMAO:

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Let’s not be guilty of the very prejudices we claim to be victim of folks. Strava is great, eBikes are great, Road bikes are great. Let’s all just live and let live ??

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Let’s not be guilty of the very prejudices we claim to be victim of folks. Strava is great, eBikes are great, Road bikes are great. Let’s all just live and let live ??

Yes, my last message probably came across as that and so I apologise! Strava is great but I can understand why anyone would be a bit pissed if they're passed by an e-bike time :)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Strava times ain’t worth shit, as it’s totally inaccurate.
Only Asshats care what others ride.

Hope it gets better with land access in your neck of the woods.

Welcome to the Forum, it’s mostly a safe place ?

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
I'm in Western Washington and it's not much better here. I have hopes that it will start changing, but know it will be a long process. I see EMTB as a a way to get back into mountain bikes. I've been riding mountain bikes before I could drive, but the last decade I've been more into motorcycles both on and off road. Now that I have a young family I don't have the time to get to the moto legal riding areas as often as I would like, but have 3 MTB trail systems within a 20 minute drive from home 1 I could likely even ride to on a EMTB. Yes I'm older out of shape and carrying more pounds around the middle than I'd like so I'm the perfect candidate for an ebike :oops:. I wan't to be outside and active again if a random person on a trail wants to hold that against me so be it.

While ebikes my not be kosher most places closer to home (the only truely open places are the same places I ride motos so it defeats the point of closer access), but I am not going to let that stop me. I'm not a fast nor aggressive rider. I do most of my riding mid week anyway when the bulk the snobbery is working. I don't think I'll have many issues. I'm following the path of don't be an asshole and people might be open to changing.

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
I'm in Western Washington and it's not much better here. I have hopes that it will start changing, but know it will be a long process. I see EMTB as a a way to get back into mountain bikes. I've been riding mountain bikes before I could drive, but the last decade I've been more into motorcycles both on and off road. Now that I have a young family I don't have the time to get to the moto legal riding areas as often as I would like, but have 3 MTB trail systems within a 20 minute drive from home 1 I could likely even ride to on a EMTB. Yes I'm older out of shape and carrying more pounds around the middle than I'd like so I'm the perfect candidate for an ebike :oops:. I wan't to be outside and active again if a random person on a trail wants to hold that against me so be it.

While ebikes my not be kosher most places closer to home (the only truely open places are the same places I ride motos so it defeats the point of closer access), but I am not going to let that stop me. I'm not a fast nor aggressive rider. I do most of my riding mid week anyway when the bulk the snobbery is working. I don't think I'll have many issues. I'm following the path of don't be an asshole and people might be open to changing.
brother, that’s my story exactly! i live in the sf bay area. die hard moto head, but have always had bicycles too. the trails around here are straight up or straight down. unassisted, i would only get one or two descents, which are the whole point?! and, like you said, a lot of having access is just not being an asshole. fingers crossed that the illegal but not posted or enforced status around here lasts for a while...

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
one other point i make to friends / strangers / hecklers (they all judge) well, one point i make when i can, is to show them or talk about the cardio data from my polar and my fitbit. no one can argue i’m not pumping hard when you see the heart rate numbers i put up. there’s a pretty good size group of serious cyclists at work. they all hate e-bikes, but talking to them about how hard i train has changed their minds a lot. i think some of the judgement that comes our way is the assumption that we’re not riding hard.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Strava times ain’t worth shit, as it’s totally inaccurate.
Only Asshats care what others ride.

And this sums up the misunderstood benefit of Strava in one post. It isn’t about comparing your time with someone else. It isn’t about measuring absolute scientific timing accuracy for a segment. It’s about measuring performance and personal progression and improvement against yourself, irrespective of what others are doing. It doesn’t work for you, that’s cool, but don’t be a douche and slate everyone as asshats because it works for them.

Last edited:

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
And this sums up the misunderstood benefit of Strava in one post. It isn’t about comparing your time with someone else. It isn’t about measuring absolute scientific timing accuracy for a segement. It’s about measuring performance and personal progression and improvement against yourself, irrespective of what others are doing. It doesn’t work for you, that’s cool, but don’t be a douche and slate everyone as asshats because it works for them.
It’s still fact.,, Strava is inaccurate

And only an Asshat care what others ride ( not related to the Strava comment)

Oh and if you want to use Strava that’s fine, I even still use it, but take the information a grain of salt. It’s mearly a loose guide at best.

Still facts, but merh

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
Bumped into a few groups of acoustic mountain bikes over Christmas on my rides.Still find it amusing how they struggle to engage in conversation, a nod is all i got at best.One group i came across had one e bike amongst their group on a Moustache. He stopped to chat while the rest rode on

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
i find that it is important to other riders that i tell them i have a battery if i am overtaking them on a climb or rolling flats. they are usually grateful to know they’re not just going slow. and, a few times when i haven’t announced the disclaimer, i’ve gotten a resentful, snarky tone...

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
Bumped into a few groups of acoustic mountain bikes over Christmas on my rides.Still find it amusing how they struggle to engage in conversation, a nod is all i got at best.One group i came across had one e bike amongst their group on a Moustache. He stopped to chat while the rest rode on
“Acoustic mountain bike”... don’t know if you came up with it, but I love the term.

On the main subject, here in Spain, not as many haters as you describe, and most get converted once they try. Also a lot of people in the “I don’t wanna try because i am afraid to love it” category. I think it is just a matter of time before the usual close-minded people realize what ebikes have to offer and that it is not a competition between e and acoustic.

I agree, All bikes are great, e or not, Ebikes Is simply a new Experience.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Who cares as long as the inaccuracies are consistent. I don’t give a toss if my time over a segment is not scientifically accurate as long as it’s consistently inaccurate, which Strava is. It’s still an accurate gauge of rider progression, which is all I care about.
I don’t agree that Strava is even consistently inaccurate. I have had some very strange sector times on occasion, one which had clearly been significantly underestimated and got me a KOM (which I cancelled out), and another that registered me as riding a sector on an adjacent parallel road. In general I agree it can be used to measure your own progression, but any single sector result should be taken with a grain of salt.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
I don’t agree that Strava is even consistently inaccurate. I have had some very strange sector times on occasion, one which had clearly been significantly underestimated and got me a KOM (which I cancelled out), and another that registered me as riding a sector on an adjacent parallel road. In general I agree it can be used to measure your own progression, but any single sector result should be taken with a grain of salt.

Which device are you using? If you say a phone you’ve answered your own question.

I did 5k miles of cycling last year, all with Strava and all with a Garmin gps. It might not be entirely accurate but it is absolutely consistent. You have to make allowances for GPS or satellite coverage but that’s not a fault of Strava.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I find strava mildly interesting and I do use it for most rides , i like to briefly view the ride and maybe see if I’ve improved , mainly on my pedal bikes , I like the end of year mileage tally although a bit inaccurate Iam sure ,but I always enter an ebike ride as ebike .
I’ve seen it cause some hassles locally with ebikers taking the kom times etc etc and it’s caused a bit of hassle in a number of local clubs and groups at times . Just enter the ride as ebike then no ones upset by what you do , respecting other cyclists and thier favourite thing is what makes us part of the community , we all complian about ebike prejudice , after all that’s what started this thread so surely we don’t need to add to that for our own sakes surely ?

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Boulder on the other hand is going through a pilot program this year, but they have already excluded all mountain trails from even the pilot program.

The hate is strong here. It'll eventually change as many prejudice topics do.

Isn't the general sense in Boulder's local government "anti-mountain bike" in general? I heard the city is run by land hogging hikers

Anyways, the US is really big and you find all kinds of people here

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles