Rail (625Wh) Do you really need Rail chain guards/guide?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Have 2022 Alloy Rail 5's with Shimano drivetrains. When it gets really mucky mud and other debris can accumulate in the front chain guard/guide. Is there any practical reason why I need these chain guards, or can I take them off? (always have derailleur clutches on).

idunne

Sep 19, 2022
merseyside liverpool
Have 2022 Alloy Rail 5's with Shimano drivetrains. When it gets really mucky mud and other debris can accumulate in the front chain guard/guide. Is there any practical reason why I need these chain guards, or can I take them off? (always have derailleur clutches on).
YES LIKE TO NO MYSELF I HAVE 2022 TREK RAIL 5 IF YOU LOOK AT THE CHAIN GUIDE IF SEEMS VERY BIG CHAIN CAN FALL BOTH SIDES OF CHAIN RING OUT OF THE GUIDE MAKES YOU THINK IS IT THERE JUST FOR STYLE LOOKS

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Alright mate, no need to shout.

Take it off & see what happens. IME one by bikes with big cassettes & tortured chain lines jump sprockets even with narrow wide. Ymmv. Generous of manufacturers to spec parts bikes don't need eh?

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Hi have run without chain guides and with a good clutch and a good narrow wide sprocket you can get away with it on a lot of trails including jumps and very rough sections but its a nice back up just in case .

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
On a single gear bike maybe..............on a 1X it has to be wide enough to allow for a chainline from 1 to 11 or 1 to 12 so it is unlikely to achieve anything other than make for an even bigger tangle if the chain should come off. As a bove a narrow wide chainring in good condition coupled with an effective rear mech should not need one. None of my bikes have chainguides.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
On a single gear bike maybe..............on a 1X it has to be wide enough to allow for a chainline from 1 to 11 or 1 to 12 so it is unlikely to achieve anything other than make for an even bigger tangle if the chain should come off. As a bove a narrow wide chainring in good condition coupled with an effective rear mech should not need one. None of my bikes have chainguides.
Another good point.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
one thing to a void is bombing downhill when on the smallest rear cog making the chain its slackest. At best it will beat hell out of the chainstay....at worst it could try to fall off the chainring ( although even then narrow wide should keep grip on the chain assuming both chainwheel and chain are not knackered). Not good for the chain either. Downhill I rarely need to pedal but even so I ensure I am mid cassette before dropping in.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Thanks all for the above posts, will take the chain guide off tomorrow. (y)
Changed my mind, did this:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles