Decisions Decisions Decisions Which Bike ???

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
Hello there. Time for me to switch to the world of E Biking.

I'm torn between theses bikes.

Trek Rail 5 - Love the colour even though it's the lower spec.

Trek Rail 7 - 1K more than the 5 but bigger battery and better spec.

Whyte E150S - Awesome looking bike but the battery looks a ballache to remove.

Orbea Wild FS M20 - Great looking bike LBS will knock 500 off retail.

Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 - Great spec at a decent price.

Any input would be great. I've sat on the top spec rail in the LBS the other day. Great looking bike. Also tried the Whyte. Not seen a Cube or Orbea yet.

There's so many new bikes due the choice is overwhelming.

I'll be mainly riding natural trails, adventure riding. Couple of bike parks nothing too insane.

Thanks.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Will you need to remove the battery on a regular basis ?

I think I'd be edging towards the white or the orbea on a combination of design/performance .. Looks ! :)

If you can ride them, that will help your decision enormously. If you can't, don't fear that you've made the wrong decision afterwards, they're all good bikes.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Hello there. Time for me to switch to the world of E Biking.

I'm torn between theses bikes.

Trek Rail 5 - Love the colour even though it's the lower spec.

Trek Rail 7 - 1K more than the 5 but bigger battery and better spec.

Whyte E150S - Awesome looking bike but the battery looks a ballache to remove.

Orbea Wild FS M20 - Great looking bike LBS will knock 500 off retail.

Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 - Great spec at a decent price.

Any input would be great. I've sat on the top spec rail in the LBS the other day. Great looking bike. Also tried the Whyte. Not seen a Cube or Orbea yet.

There's so many new bikes due the choice is overwhelming.

I'll be mainly riding natural trails, adventure riding. Couple of bike parks nothing too insane.

Thanks.
Rail 7 over the 5, slightly better geo for bike parks.
Oreba, slightly better for natural trails
Cube, as above but better spec
They will all do what you want tho, and all good choices.

Oh the Whyte ... ?‍♂️

Would you trust this to trail hazards encounter on natural trails and adventure riding ? Killer bike, but groomed trails only ?‍♂️

7F3943DD-D6C4-4611-981E-FDD64018AA55.jpeg

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
@themonkster for natural rides without agressive ride i would pick the cube 29 over the 27.5 it has a more comfortable geometry but I think is too slacked for enjoy in not steep sections, same on the Orbea and the trek is crazy slacked for “adventure“ rides ... maybe a 66.5 is more enjoyable in all round rides without compromise the descent stuff

Do want to just go over the trails and wait to the downhill to smash or you want to have a tight handling in all situations?

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Cube 2020 have carbon frame o_O .
I have the Cube 2019 160 and I like the bike. I also tried the Cube 120 and it feels fast. Maybe the 140 is the sweetspot for trail riding. Thinking on tradind my 160 for the 2020 140.
Also tried the 2019 Trek and I like it.

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
I've been in contact with Blazing Bikes down south. This is in stock and he'll knock 10 percent off the retail price. Takes it down to 4300. I know it's pretty slack but it's a mint looking bike.
E761D913-9F00-446D-8DBD-D04CBE41099B.JPG

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
SOLD !

I wouldn't go too insane on analysing all the numbers. I bought a Kenevo and was hugely concerned it would be nightmare for anything other than base jumping - it's not. I love it .. In ten years time shopper bikes will probably have that geometry.

Reactions: Lee

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
It´s the 2019 or 2020 model? Nice looking girl ! :p
Only 10% off for the 2019 model! Push it down :alien:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
You are probably looking for a higher spec than this one below but what I like about the Powerfly 5 2020 is it uses Shimano cassette, gears, shifters.
Has 10 speed so is probably more robust, longer lasting and has a thicker chain. New Bosch motor and Rockshox suspension all round.
It’s only 130mm travel however and you may want more, I’m not sure.
If I was upgrading from my Cube Race hardtail I’d probably get this bike as it ticks all the boxes for me and is only £3400.
There are way more expensive bikes out there but the law of diminishing returns is a factor to consider as you go up the price level.

C2607422-961C-46B8-8CBA-7BB933B07791.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You are probably looking for a higher spec than this one below but what I like about the Powerfly 5 2020 is it uses Shimano cassette, gears, shifters.
Has 10 speed so is probably more robust, longer lasting and has a thicker chain. New Bosch motor and Rockshox suspension all round.
It’s only 130mm travel however and you may want more, I’m not sure.
If I was upgrading from my Cube Race hardtail I’d probably get this bike as it ticks all the boxes for me and is only £3400.
There are way more expensive bikes out there but the law of diminishing returns is a factor to consider as you go up the price level.

View attachment 20881
Isn't that a 2019 ? keeper ?

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
I'm going to go to my LBS on Friday as they are a Trek Dealer. As this other shop has offered me 10% off, I'm pretty sure they would too. They PX too so I'm hoping they'll give me near what I want for my 2018 Scott Spark 940 as a deposit. We'll see.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
? is this true? The old Gen 2 motor is still being made???
But it’s larger and heavier than the new one and probably costs a lot more to make.
I really thought production had stopped.
Zim, you may need to summon your genie friend again to clear this matter up or I won’t be able to sleep at night ?

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
? is this true? The old Gen 2 motor is still being made???
But it’s larger and heavier than the new one and probably costs a lot more to make.
I really thought production had stopped.
Zim, you may need to summon your genie friend again to clear this matter up or I won’t be able to sleep at night ?
Maybe Trek still has a boatload in a warehouse, so they thought sod it we'll stick it on the new Powerflys and knock them out cheaper.

Lee

Jun 11, 2019
Lancaster
I'm going to go to my LBS on Friday as they are a Trek Dealer. As this other shop has offered me 10% off, I'm pretty sure they would too. They PX too so I'm hoping they'll give me near what I want for my 2018 Scott Spark 940 as a deposit. We'll see.

I think that's definitely worth a try; earlier this year wheelbase were selling the Remedy 9.9 with £1000 off the RRP, I stated to my local Trek dealer that i'd rather buy locally but can't ignore that saving, could they match it? they said yes so i bought it locally. great bike.

Good luck

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
What's everyone's thoughts on this. There's at 10% offer on. Takes it down to 3600. Comes with a Lyrik, new Bosch, 625 battery, Magura MT50 brakes. SX/NX eagle.
Screenshot_20191030-184024.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Nice again .. I think that's the RRP for that bike.

The cube gives you the Rock Shox Deluxe Select+

The Trek the RockShox Yari RC

Rail 7 : Rail 7 | Trek Bikes

Cube 160 SL : CUBE Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC SL 625 27.5 carbon´n´grey 2020

If you're plodding about, they're going to feel pretty similar.

You're in the unenviable position of choosing :) it sucks ! I think I've already said it, they're all going to be good.. at some point simple passion also has to come into the equation.

And the money thing ... If you could get the cube with a discount it's then a "cheap" (*e-bike relative stupid take a zero off pricing)

Only you know what the driving force is which eventually weights your decision.

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
Nice again .. I think that's the RRP for that bike.

The cube gives you the Rock Shox Deluxe Select+

The Trek the RockShox Yari RC

Rail 7 : Rail 7 | Trek Bikes

Cube 160 SL : CUBE Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC SL 625 27.5 carbon´n´grey 2020

If you're plodding about, they're going to feel pretty similar.

You're in the unenviable position of choosing :) it sucks ! I think I've already said it, they're all going to be good.. at some point simple passion also has to come into the equation.

And the money thing ... If you could get the cube with a discount it's then a "cheap" (*e-bike relative stupid take a zero off pricing)

Only you know what the driving force is which eventually weights your decision.
It doesn't help that no one's got any on the shop floor and they are ordered in. If the bikes were there in the flesh it would make the decision much easier.

The rear shocks are identical. The Yari on the Trek and the Lyrik on the Cube.

I've not ruled the Orbea Wild FS M20 out yet.

It's head wrecking when your throwing a lot of money at a bike.

Like you say they're all going to be good bikes. If I wasn't so impatient I'd hang on till all the pre orders have been fulfilled and they are on the shop floor . My guess that would be march or so.

Thanks for the help.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles