Custom Battery with better cell quality?

mark4444

Jan 12, 2021
LA
As I know the cells inside the battery get better and go up in prices rapidly... With Electric motos like the Sur Ron, there are people who will build a battery that last much longer.

Has anyone found someone who can build a longer-range battery with the same weight for ebikes? Specifically for the new Shimano steps motor?

Right now I could experiment, but I would need to supply the case, and that would require buying a whole new battery and taking the existing cells out.. which seems like a bit of waste.

mark4444

Jan 12, 2021
LA
True, I think you can double the range of a Sur Ron... maybe more as the stock batteries are very random quality.

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Cool your jets!

If you have been following battery tech recently then you will know that there is a lot of innovation going on in the battery world. From Tesla and their construction techniques to weird and wonderful readily available element variations. The next couple of years is bound to see major manufacturers bringing something very exciting to the market.

One thing I have noticed though, when following the innovations, they are all about power output and charge and discharge speeds/cycles. I have not seen much, that I recall, about weight saving.

Those of us lucky enough to have an e-bike should stick with what we have for the time being when we think about the environmental impact going into the mining and construction of our current batteries. Like Seasick Steve I think that the best way to be "green" is to use something until it no longer works. Yes I know, a flawed argument. What I actually do is sell stuff on rather than it going to the last resort of land fill.

I think that I will be one of the first in the queue should something exciting happen with a Bosch Powertube replacement, so get your orders in quick for a very well looked after 500wh battery. One careful owner, never raced or rallied? Hmm.

mark4444

Jan 12, 2021
LA
it's good to think about the environment for sure. And I agree there are all kinds of hypothetical battery cells in development. What I'm saying here is, there is already a difference in cell quality amongst the currently mass-produced cells and battery packs out there. For example, some battery packs have dead cells, simply because they did not test every cell that went into it. Another example is cell fraud, where old laptop cells get thrown in the bunch... With Tesla, they test every cell, that's one of many reasons there cars have more range than other electric cars.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
On the topic of new tech coming along, I just hope it will be backwards compatible I hate the thought of a very expensive eeb becoming scrap just because the battery system is obsolete. It’s only a packaging issue, as long as new tech can be packaged in the same size/shape case then we should be ok.
I had started to wonder about a custom battery (half range/half weight) but packaged in a dummy chassis that mimics the battery case of the original. Not exactly splitting the atom so it should be achievable.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
As I know the cells inside the battery get better and go up in prices rapidly... With Electric motos like the Sur Ron, there are people who will build a battery that last much longer.

Has anyone found someone who can build a longer-range battery with the same weight for ebikes? Specifically for the new Shimano steps motor?

Right now I could experiment, but I would need to supply the case, and that would require buying a whole new battery and taking the existing cells out.. which seems like a bit of waste.

Good mtb companies use good cells in their battery packs. The Battery will out live your interest in your bike Unless you are doing a huge amount of mileage. No need to think it will not last, as long as you have treated it properly.

As for building a new battery pack within the same casing, you would have to consider the electronics involved too. A new BMS board would also have to be wired in and made compatible with the rest of the bikes electrical components and wiring. You would also be limited to use the same size cells and configuration in order to fill the battery casing properly as to the shape it's been designed and moulded to. if you took out 18650 cells and then replaced them with higher Ah 21700 cells which are larger you'd have difficulty configuring them to use the space available efficiently.

Last edited:

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Good mtb companies use good cells in their battery packs. The Battery will out live your interest in your bike Unless you are doing a huge amount of mileage. No need to think it will not last, as long as you have treated it properly.

As for building a new battery pack within the same casing, you would have to consider the electronics involved too. A new BMS board would also have to be wired in and made compatible with the rest of the bikes electrical components and wiring. You would also be limited to use the same size cells and configuration in order fill the battery casing properly as to the shape it's been designed to and melded to. if you took out 18650 cells and then replaced them with higher Ah 21700 cells which are larger you'd have difficulty configuring them to use the space available efficiently.
Clearly you assumed I hadn’t thought of all of the above? How odd.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles