Creaking noises on a bike with less than 3 weeks life

Swissete

May 6, 2020
Spain
Hi guys,

The bike is a Haibike AllMtn 8.0.
I can hear the creaking noises coming from motor/pedals/cranks location. It started during the third ride only when starting from a full stop when appling force to the pedals standing up... hence putting lots of pressure.... but each ride I can hear it more. Now not just starting from a stop but also seated when trying to increase drastically cadence or applying more force to the pedals. Even when pedaling in a constant cadence and just forcing one of your legs, you can hear the creaking noise.

I don't think it is the motor but more the pedals or cranks... hoping it is not the frame.... how can I check this?

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
Could you ask your dealer to diagnose it? If not proceed by elimination by retorquing all the bolts and/or regreasing. Noises are notoriously difficult to assess. It could be the seat clamp or even the saddle rails.

Swissete

May 6, 2020
Spain
Hi, I have to call the shop today and probably get them the bike. At the end there's a warranty process hence let's use it...

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Hi guys,

I can hear the creaking noises coming from motor/pedals/cranks location. It started during the third ride only when starting from a full stop when appling force to the pedals standing up... hence putting lots of pressure.... but each ride I can hear it more. Now not just starting from a stop but also seated when trying to increase drastically cadence or applying more force to the pedals. Even when pedaling in a constant cadence and just forcing one of your legs, you can hear the creaking noise.

I don't think it is the motor but more the pedals or cranks... hoping it is not the frame.... how can I check this?

In my experience, this is nearly always the pedals. Did you apply grease to the threads before you put them on? If not, they will creak.

Should be easy enough to try to see if it fixes it ;-)

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Hi guys,

what motor is it? Flyon or Bosch?

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Really hard to tell where a creak is really coming from! Here's my handy-dandy list of things to check, starting with the most likely (in my personal experience):

1. The seat post / seat tube. Take the seat post out, clean it and the inside of the seat tube; Apply grease or anti-seize compound before refitting.
2. Pedals. Some are worse than others, but my current set lose bearing tension very quickly. Just nip up the hex on the outside of the pedal (if it has one).
3. Pedals again. Remove pedals from cranks, clean both threads, and apply grease before refitting.
4. The seat rails. Again, take the seat off, clean it , and apply grease/anti-seize before refitting.
5. Crank arm to bottom bracket (or motor). Pull the crank arms off, clean, re-grease.
6. The drive train in general. More likely to 'click' or 'squeak' than 'creak', but gunk anywhere in the drive chain can cause odd noises from various locations. Give it all a good clean.
7. Where the stem attaches to the bars. Remove bars, clean out any grit/dust, grease and replace. Check the (probably 4) bolts are at correct torque.
8. Other random fittings. I had a really creaky engine cover (the plastic outer cover, not the engine itself) after it was refitted poorly. Torque bolts for motor covers, smash guards, etc.

Anyway, that's how I work through the problem of random noises...

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I've had a bike with a creak that was solved via a motor mount bolt. Seat posts make noises that can seem to come from anywhere.

As it's peddling I'd tighten the motor bolts first and then the chainring and cranks. If it's still going then do an *M* check on everything. An M check is starting at the rear axel and moving forward in an M shape to the front fork checking everything along the way.

But really. All new bikes, acoustic or electric, should have a thorough M check after a couple of rides anyway. It's a normal thing you should do on a new bike and periodically after that. Not checking bolts is a good way to kill bearings. I do a check once a month. It's only 10 minutes for a whole bike.

Gordon

Manx G

Jun 19, 2020
Isle of Man
Hi guys,

Did you get this fixed..... I have same issue with my allmtn 5.0?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles