Levo Gen 3 Creaking coming from somewhere around the motor.

DirkWisely

Jun 14, 2024
California
My Levo has started creaking pretty badly. It seems to happen worse the steeper the climb. Has anyone experienced this sound and resolved it?

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Have you checked all the bolts, especially motor mounting bolts?

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Yes retorque then , also check the shock/pivot bolts , they will creak if loose , also crank:/chainring , basically check everything ☺️

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
I'd also have a go at re-seating/greasing your dropper/seatpost.

if your frame is carbon then make sure its carbon assembly grease. Creaks are buggers to track down and so often travel along the frame and originate way off elsewhere!

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I'd also have a go at re-seating/greasing your dropper/seatpost.

if your frame is carbon then make sure its carbon assembly grease. Creaks are buggers to track down and so often travel along the frame and originate way off elsewhere!
Don’t forget seat rails 👍 if it creaks when you’re seated but not when standing its the seat post or seat rails got grit in there !

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Agree with (and have experienced) all of the above. I traced yet another creak to the chain stay pivot bearings, one of which barely rotated.

Samoaj

Jul 8, 2024
Northern Ireland
Quick note here would be to check the mounts on the motor. I had a creak around my motor and have just got it looked at. Turns out that some of the motors (mine is the EP8) are undersized slightly to allow for frame tolerance and they use a sort of bolt bushing that is supposed to move out to meet the frame when the motor is fitted. Sometimes during fitting this doesn’t happen and the frame gets distorted slightly and pulls in to take up the slack. This is where a creak can come from. I got it all explained to me a bike mechanic that I used recently to service my Megawatt. Might be worth looking into.

PNWmtnBKR

Subscriber
Feb 5, 2024
WA, USA
Mine was creaking, but it just needed to be washed. The dry summer dust/dirt was enough to cause it. A gentle washing took care of it.

ari

Mar 1, 2024
Australia
If its the rattle noise ? it sounds more like a worn cog or something not meshing in the motor, hard to tell .

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
How should I check them? They don't feel loose or anything. Should I try re-torqueing them?

No. If they're tight, they're tight.

Mountain bikes and all their components flex a minute amount. That's what causes creaking. Imagine a strike-slip fault on the Earth's crust. A little bit of flexing and movement cause's creaking and shaking at the Earth's surface. If you suspect a fastener, remove it, clean it, put some grease along the length, and maybe some anti-seize on the threads. Reinstall and torque accordingly.

You mentioned the motor. The noise could indeed be the motor mount bolts. Or it could be the crank arms. Or the pedals. As others have mentioned, the seatpost could be the cause. Headsets are renowned source of noise. As you see, the noise could be coming from a lot of places. Use your brain to try and figure it out, and then check each component as you eliminate possibilities.

Churchill

Jul 15, 2018
Idaho
My Kenevo was creaking horribly, and I was certain it was coming from the motor/crank area. Later I determined that the creaking was coming from the steering head. Re-greasing the bearings fixed the problem for almost a year, but it is slowing returning. At least I know how to resolve it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles