Levo Gen 2 Cost for new Brose mag-s? Less than $1000US?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I sent my wounded motor to Bearingman's US affiliate, who tells me the refurb/upgrade will be about $1000US This cost includes a new motor shaft to replace my corroded shaft (chuckle). The upgrade is said to include added sealing against water ingress, which is what killed my current motor, as well as more robust sprag clutches. I'm assuming these are the upgrade parts Bearingman refers to in his YouTube Brose rebuild video.

Before I kiss a kilobuck goodbye, I wanted to compare the cost of a new motor from Spesh. If any of you have bought a motor out-of-pocket (not a warranty replacement) and you're willing to reveal the cost, please post below.

Tim22

Jan 15, 2020
Boise, Id
I sent my wounded motor to Bearingman's US affiliate, who tells me the refurb/upgrade will be about $1000US This cost includes a new motor shaft to replace my corroded shaft (chuckle). The upgrade is said to include added sealing against water ingress, which is what killed my current motor, as well as more robust sprag clutches. I'm assuming these are the upgrade parts Bearingman refers to in his YouTube Brose rebuild video.

Before I kiss a kilobuck goodbye, I wanted to compare the cost of a new motor from Spesh. If any of you have bought a motor out-of-pocket (not a warranty replacement) and you're willing to reveal the cost, please post below.
Following

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Thanks! Spesh part number S196800005. I found it at a US seller for $1200US. Since the rebuild is supposed to have improved sealing, and is a smidgen (do you UK guys use the word smidgen?) less money, I guess I'll go that route.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks! Spesh part number S196800005. I found it at a US seller for $1200US. Since the rebuild is supposed to have improved sealing, and is a smidgen (do you UK guys use the word smidgen?) less money, I guess I'll go that route.
Yes, we use that word, it means a very small amount of something.
But it must be years and years since I have heard it or even seen it in print.

Here is what the Urban Dictionary has to say on the subject. Read all the way to the bottom, it gets wilder and wilder. :ROFLMAO:

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Whats the warranty on a new factory motor vs rebuild?
I'm told by folks here that a new motor from Spesh/Brose comes with a 2 year warranty. My refurbed/upgraded motor has a 1 year warranty.

Interestingly, so far nobody has posted that they bought a new Brose with their own money. This suggests that we're assuming the 2 year warranty extension on a warranty replacement motor applies to a purchased new motor

I believe the shop when they say their upgrade provides significantly better protection against water ingress than the factory motor. The parts shown in the Brose rebuild videos I've watched look like they'll do the job. Water ingress killed my factory motor after 3 years, so I expect (hope!) the shop rebuild will last significantly longer.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
I know its wet in that little island in the atlantic, but east texas isnt a desert and have rode in some serious rain and forded a creek from time to time without a water ingress problem, that i know about for the past 3.5 years.

Only issue i had was the first batch of motors for gen2 had a tune that needed to be adjusted, and likely because i was learning to how to not lug the motor at first and stripped a belt.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I know its wet in that little island in the atlantic, but east texas isnt a desert and have rode in some serious rain and forded a creek from time to time without a water ingress problem, that i know about for the past 3.5 years.
I'm in a part of California that is bone dry for most of the year. In fact, I've only ridden in the rain once. Didn't like it! My water damage must have come from washing all the Cali clay dust off the bike. I thought I was keeping the hose spray away from the "BB", but obviously I failed.

Regarding washing, after 2 rides my silver chain is totally clay-dust tan, as is most of the rest of the bike. I thought I was doing the right thing by frequent washing and re-lubing, but I'll definitely be following Plan B when I get the motor back from the shop.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Washing should be fine, just no hi pressure on your bearings or moving parts.
My experience says that is not always true. I never used anything other than a hose nozzle (no pressure washer!), and tried to keep the spray away from the motor shaft. But the shop says my motor shaft was fatally corroded. Since I rarely have to do any water crossings, and only rode in the rain once, I have to think it was the washing that caused my motor failure.

So you have to ask yourself one question ... :p

FuelEXe fan

Aug 31, 2023
Southern California

I had a 2018 Turbo Kenevo that broke a belt. It was at this time that I learned that Specialized does not service nor sell parts for their motors. If you're lucky enough to be under warranty you're good to go, but if you are past that 2 year mark, you get to cough up $1,000 for a new motor like I did. As you have figured out there are some companies that work on these motors and even sell parts for them. Since mine was a broken belt, I did not want to spend $180 for a new belt and tensioner (aftermarket parts) only to discover the motor was indeed bad. I was pretty dumbfounded to learn that this is pretty much standard practice in the industry and no one that I know of services their e-bike motors. They just do a swap if you're under warranty. As some of the comments have stated below, after two years of owning and shredding on that sweet $10k e-bike, if your motor fails you're going to be totally screwed. Either pay up the $1,000 or you've got a really expensive two wheeled paper weight.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had a 2018 Turbo Kenevo that broke a belt. It was at this time that I learned that Specialized does not service nor sell parts for their motors. If you're lucky enough to be under warranty you're good to go, but if you are past that 2 year mark, you get to cough up $1,000 for a new motor like I did. As you have figured out there are some companies that work on these motors and even sell parts for them. .........................
It's not just Shimano then!

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
I cant blame the LBS’s on having the skills, or tools to work on a high-tech electric motor, they are use to working on bikes, and bike components. This is an entirely new set of skills, and would limit specialized dealer network. Also, it could just be easier for spesh to replace for logistics or cost reasons, or maybe they have a service contract with brose and they just send them to brose, and get replacements.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles