Levo Gen 3 Correct way to tighten turbo Levo comp front axle

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
I mean of course Turbo Levo Carbon with the Fox rhythm 36!
I’ve searched through the user manual but cannot find the procedure to install the front axle and lock device, it uses a small locking part washer with a 2.5 mm bolt.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Barry

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If the axle is just an allen key type you tighten to c 10nm. If the fork is being used for the first time the pinch bolt is loosened, axle installed and torqued, then the pinch bolt tightened ( c4nm) . you should not need to touch the pinch bolt again a fter that.

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
My axle does not have a pinch bolt or a quick release. It has a quarter moon shaped washer on the threaded side of the axle which is obviously a lock or retention device. I have a copy of the Fox Manual for the Fox 36 fork and there is no mention of tightening torque for this style of axle. I don’t want it so tight that I cannot remove it if I have to fix a bad flat whilst on a trail
Yes I have a tubeless setup but I have had sidewall rip that I had to fix with one of those handy patches. I alway carry one in my waist hydration pack.
Barry

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
It sounds like you may be referring to the small screw and plate that retain the axle nut in the fork. You can loosen it for fine adjustment of the rotation of the nut to precisely position a lever type axle. Tightening the axle will hold the nut in place. You don’t need to adjust it for an axle that uses an 6mm Allen key. It has no effect on axle tightening, just snug it up and forget it.
IMG_0187.jpeg

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
It sounds like you may be referring to the small screw and plate that retain the axle nut in the fork. You can loosen it for fine adjustment of the rotation of the nut to precisely position a lever type axle. Tightening the axle will hold the nut in place. You don’t need to adjust it for an axle that uses an 6mm Allen key. It has no effect on axle tightening, just snug it up and forget it. View attachment 148619
Thanks, your reply is exactly what I needed to know. Any idea of the correct torque for the axle ? I’m guessing it will be about the same for all the other 6mm bolts and a little grease on the threads
Thanks

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
I’ve always just done it “gut-n-tight”, but @Mikerb recommends 10Nm in post #8 above. Even at home I use the multi-tool I carry on the bike to tighten anything that I might need to service on a ride. That way you won’t be stuck trying to loosen something you tightened at home with a larger/better tool (a carryover from past motorcycle days). The Specialized Swat tool 6mm Allen is sufficient for the front and rear axles.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
On previous bikes that had just 6mm allen key tightening rather than a lever I used a torque wrench set to 10nm in order to get an idea of how tight it needed to be........then replicated that with an allen key thereafter. I really dont think its critical.

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
On previous bikes that had just 6mm allen key tightening rather than a lever I used a torque wrench set to 10nm in order to get an idea of how tight it needed to be........then replicated that with an allen key thereafter. I really dont think its critical.
10nm is tight and I don’t think I could undo the axle with the Swit tool. I would hate to have the axle fall out while riding, it would be quite embarrassing!
B
Dyslexia is a bitch. Suggest using a 3ft bar to make sure you don’t under torque it.
😂😂 yeh I’ve now read the and of the bolt, but I’m going to tighten it using the supplied tool
Thanks

Reactions: Dax

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
10nm is tight and I don’t think I could undo the axle with the Swit tool. I would hate to have the axle fall out while riding, it would be quite embarrassing!
B

😂😂 yeh I’ve now read the and of the bolt, but I’m going to tighten it using the supplied tool
Thanks

10nm really isn’t very much torque, most people could easily overcome that with a multi tool. Ideally you should use a 1/4” torque wrench to do it up, but most people don’t (myself included) and it’s fine.

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
Thanks, I actually have three torque wrenches, two 1/4 and one 3/8 in. I use them for all the bolts etc on my bike. If I tighten the axle to the recommended torque and get a flat out on the trail that needs the tire, tyre, to come off there is no way I can undo the axle with the Switch multi tool as I already indicated. So my best bet is to tighten the axle with the tool as firm as I can get it and check it before every ride.
Given that I’m 79 and have the big C I don’t ride very hard although I do ride single tracks. I’ve been riding mtb’s since the early eighties, if you can call those early bikes mountain bikes. They were fun though. I worked for several months as a bike mechanic in The Greasy Wheel in Plymouth New Hampshire, so I kinda know my way around bicycle's. ( Anyone know what happened to the wonderful owner John Rankin?)
I love my Levo because I can ride some trails now again that my health prevented, oh my age as well i suppose.
This thread has taken a life of its own so thanks to all that have replied.
Barry

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Thanks, I actually have three torque wrenches, two 1/4 and one 3/8 in. I use them for all the bolts etc on my bike. If I tighten the axle to the recommended torque and get a flat out on the trail that needs the tire, tyre, to come off there is no way I can undo the axle with the Switch multi tool as I already indicated. So my best bet is to tighten the axle with the tool as firm as I can get it and check it before every ride.
Given that I’m 79 and have the big C I don’t ride very hard although I do ride single tracks. I’ve been riding mtb’s since the early eighties, if you can call those early bikes mountain bikes. They were fun though. I worked for several months as a bike mechanic in The Greasy Wheel in Plymouth New Hampshire, so I kinda know my way around bicycle's. ( Anyone know what happened to the wonderful owner John Rankin?)
I love my Levo because I can ride some trails now again that my health prevented, oh my age as well i suppose.
This thread has taken a life of its own so thanks to all that have replied.
Barry

9nm is not very tight, rather than intentionally under torqueing the wheel, I’d give it a test at home sometime, torque it up and then check i could undo it with what I have with me when I ride. I’d rather carry a second multi tool rather than run the axle loose.

Keep fighting the big C!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles