considering a rocky mountain ebike-questions

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
can you set the motor to deliver high power at low cadence in the ludicrous mode? i want something that i can soft pedal and get boosted up the hill faster than my current bosch. can the dyname 4.0 be set to do that?

how has the reliability of the dyname 4.0 motors been?

are the batteries hot swappable, how easy is to do a battery change in case i want to run 2 like i do with my bosch

Last edited:

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
Hmm, kind of. You can adjust how the initial assist feels from -2 to +2. I think it should be programmed to feel like +2 as default. I have all my power levels set to +2. You can adjust 4 power levels to any amount you want from 0 to 100.

The Dyname likes to be spun at a higher cadence compared to other motors though. I didn't love this my first ride on it, coming from a Bosch CX Race. Over the course of a few rides I started to really like the motor though. It feels more natural than other motors and is sneakily very powerful. If you put in the effort, it rewards you in spades, all while being very controllable and maintaining traction with its smooth power delivery. Hopping on a Bosch CX Race equipped bike after riding the Dyname now feels a bit jerky/abrupt/unnatural. I like both motors but they're like opposites. If you want a low end / low cadence powerhouse something like the Bosch would probably be a better choice.

The reliability for me has been great, but that's just an experiment of 1. There was a couple quirks before though - the motor would heat up easily on extended climbs and the power output would be reduced. Since it's latest firmware update this has not happened again, but I have yet to ride in really warm temps. And the "jumbotron" screen wasn't very waterproof. It would have a lot of issues coming back on after being turned off after being exposed to a decent amount of water. After requesting a bike shop to contact RM about this RM sent out an updated version of the jumbotron and the bike shop installed it, all for free, no problems since.

Last edited:

Sudastone

Aug 14, 2022
San Jose, Ca
I don't know about hot swapping batteries but you can buy the 314wh Overtime Pack which is an eternal piggyback battery. The bike will run off the OT first then use the main battery. It's on sale now too. I bought the V1 for my 2019 and it's been great.

Overtime Pack

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
What d3ftone said.

If you prefer to soft pedal a different drive would suit you more. If you are willing to put in the effort the Dyname is far more powerful and intuitive. Works especially well if ridden like an analogue bike, where you get out of the saddle at low cadence. The assist does not have as great a range of adjustment as Shimano drives, but it seems to have been designed solely for mountain biking, without the need to suit cargo/commuter bikes as well. YMMV.

Battery slides out of the bottom of the down tube after a small cover has been unbolted, can be done on the trail in a couple of minutes.

Cheers.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
What d3ftone said.

If you prefer to soft pedal a different drive would suit you more. If you are willing to put in the effort the Dyname is far more powerful and intuitive. Works especially well if ridden like an analogue bike, where you get out of the saddle at low cadence. The assist does not have as great a range of adjustment as Shimano drives, but it seems to have been designed solely for mountain biking, without the need to suit cargo/commuter bikes as well. YMMV.

Battery slides out of the bottom of the down tube after a small cover has been unbolted, can be done on the trail in a couple of minutes.

Cheers.
hmm yeah i guess its not for me then. i really just ride winch up and plunge down style trails so i want something to shuttle me up fast as possible with minimal effort. its a shame they dont have a firmware setting to allow that since they are so proud having the biggest torque number

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
Yeah, it sounds like something else might suit your trails/riding style more. I have adjusted my Shimano EP8 to more closely mimic the Dyname, just better dynamics for our area.

Cheers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles