Confused about torque wrenches

DJEMTB

Jul 3, 2024
North East
I have some confusion about torque wrenches. I can't find a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench that goes up to 50NM.

I just purchased Hope Ebikes cranks and the directions said tighten to 50NM.

My torque wrench goes up to about 20 nm, so I went to Lowe's and they only had ones that did in-lb. When I got home I converted the highest in-lb to NM and it was like 26. It was a 50-250 in-lbs wrench. No good.

So I got to Amazon and I can't find a 1/4 inch drive wrench that goes to 50 NM. There are some bigger ones but not what I need.

What gives? I've always used torque wrenches that use NM not in-ft.

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
50Nm is squarely out of 1/4” territory and below, or at the very bottom of, most 1/2” wrenches. You ideally want a 3/8” torque wrench for that range.

Here’s what I use, they have a pretty good reputation for the price point and offer all 3 common sizes. Also show both lb-ft and Nm on the handle.

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I should have said that I don't own a 3/8" torque wrench hence why I use the 1/2" one.
But yes having a 3/8" wrench is a good idea 👍

DJEMTB

Jul 3, 2024
North East
50Nm is squarely out of 1/4” territory and below, or at the very bottom of, most 1/2” wrenches. You ideally want a 3/8” torque wrench for that range.

Here’s what I use, they have a pretty good reputation for the price point and offer all 3 common sizes. Also show both lb-ft and Nm on the handle.
Thanks for the link, I did get a similar one.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Once you start removing motors and cranks you realize you need some more tools.

IMG_8074.jpeg
These aren’t the best torque wrenches available, but I’m not building Formula 1 engines either. 2 torque wrenches and a variety sockets seems to do the trick for our eMTB’s. 👍🏻

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
During my working life as a commercial mechanic, the torque wrench that had the most use was 1" drive with a 36mm socket on it for the wheel nuts.
And if you were using an extension, then one guy would have to support the ratchet head while someone else would have to use their full body weight to get to the break point 😱
Can't remember what the setting was but I'm glad I don't have to do that shit anymore 👍

• Hot
Reactions: Dax

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles