Rail (625Wh) Coil shock on my rail 9.8 (rather random question…not your usual ones)

Sean0711

Nov 30, 2020
Surrey, uk
Hi everyone,

I’ve been running my 2021 rail with a EXT coil shock in it and as far as I can remember it has always had this “free play” is the best way I can describe it. When you pick the back of the bike up the rear wheel drops slightly. When I do this with the air shock installed it’s solid. Anyone else out there with a coil shock of any make want to let me know if yours does the same thing? video attached showing what I mean.

Thanks in advance!

Animal80

Sep 24, 2021
Norway
Hi.
I just did that test on my Rail. And it's solid. Maybe maybe moving 0.5%.
But will say solid. Have a DVO Jade X.

IMG_5306.jpeg

Sean0711

Nov 30, 2020
Surrey, uk
thanks for the
Wind a bit of preload onto the spring.

That said, if you arent bottoming out and its buttery..... well.
Does it really matter?

PS Make sure its not loose shock eye bushings.
thanks for the advice. I have wound on the preload to take this out - the only worry with this is the instructions state a max of 2 turns preload. but its not clear on when to start counting the pre load - if its once it has absorbed the slack shown above then its only about 3/4 of a turn. if its from contact with the spring its about 5 turns!

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
thanks for the

thanks for the advice. I have wound on the preload to take this out - the only worry with this is the instructions state a max of 2 turns preload. but its not clear on when to start counting the pre load - if its once it has absorbed the slack shown above then its only about 3/4 of a turn. if its from contact with the spring its about 5 turns!
Tighten the preloaded ring until it just prevents the spring moving (ie there's no slack but the spring is not compressed). Then give it max 2 more turns. What I do with my Ohlins TTX22m.2

Edit: forgot to say to gently tighten the stop screws to prevent the adjuster moving.

Last edited:

Sean0711

Nov 30, 2020
Surrey, uk
So when I tighten up the top cap of the spring it applies pressure to the spring one it makes contact but it’s minimal until it takes that upwards movement out of the damper. I think it’s ok now but will give it a ride this weekend and see 😅

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
So when I tighten up the top cap of the spring it applies pressure to the spring one it makes contact but it’s minimal until it takes that upwards movement out of the damper. I think it’s ok now but will give it a ride this weekend and see 😅
IIRC I gave mine one turn.

Lesdapost

Jan 15, 2022
Uk
Hi everyone,

I’ve been running my 2021 rail with a EXT coil shock in it and as far as I can remember it has always had this “free play” is the best way I can describe it. When you pick the back of the bike up the rear wheel drops slightly. When I do this with the air shock installed it’s solid. Anyone else out there with a coil shock of any make want to let me know if yours does the same thing? video attached showing what I mean.

Thanks in advance!
If yu speak to mojo they will tell yu its how ext get the shock to be supple at beginning of stroke don't worry ride it!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles