Coal,wood gas or oil...

shep

Nov 4, 2023
In a field
Well this evening is cold here.
Not being bothered with all this green stuff like air source heating because it's crap 😁
What really cuts through and thaws you out?
I'm sat by the open fire as I got cold today out field bashing,I decided to go home the long way in a vane attempt to warm up with exercise.
I think the coal fire is the real king of dry heat for me alongside the wood burner. It is the only thing that really warms my knees up properly.
My bike was sodding cold when I got in too ....

Well here is the question then . What do you keep your bikes warm with?
My fleet is in a heated room with a gas powered radiator....

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Multi fuel stove...and I burn anthracite...much greater heat output than coal or logs. As for my bikes they live indoors...but that does mean spending time freezing cold in the garage after a cold ride getting it clean enough to wheel indoors. It goes on a large threshold ( coir) mat so do not have to be too fussy. To my mindd it is worth the hassle both from the security point of view and welfare of the electronics in the bike......plus I get to admire every time I leave my home office!

shep

Nov 4, 2023
In a field
Multi fuel stove...and I burn anthracite...much greater heat output than coal or logs. As for my bikes they live indoors...but that does mean spending time freezing cold in the garage after a cold ride getting it clean enough to wheel indoors. It goes on a large threshold ( coir) mat so do not have to be too fussy. To my mindd it is worth the hassle both from the security point of view and welfare of the electronics in the bike......plus I get to admire every time I leave my home office!
I wake up in the night if I leave my bikes in the cold...😁
But as you say it's definitely beneficial to them being kept warm. Even my analogue bikes prefer the warm environment of heating.
I find running anthracite in my burner with oak logs stupid hot 🥵

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
It’s currently 0c right now, I’m nice and toasty. We’re in a new custom build with an air source heat pump, they work damn good if your house is actually insulated properly. We did heated floors in the garage so my bikes are nice and toasty for the time being, my wife wants to actually use the garage for the cars this time so I’ll have to eventually build a man cave/bike shop in the garden.

shep

Nov 4, 2023
In a field
It’s currently 0c right now, I’m nice and toasty. We’re in a new custom build with an air source heat pump, they work damn good if your house is actually insulated properly. We did heated floors in the garage so my bikes are nice and toasty for the time being, my wife wants to actually use the garage for the cars this time so I’ll have to eventually build a man cave/bike shop in the garden.
How much does it cost to have 8 showers a day and 2 baths......😁
And what happens when there is no electricity for 3 days?

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The builder of my house, well his men really, made a mistake when building the garage. They used Thermalite blocks instead of standard breeze blocks for the inner wall. (Thermalite blocks were specified for the inner wall of the house*). Consequently, the garage has always been warmer inside than it would normally be. I added insulation to the double doors to stop it getting too hot in Summer, but it also increased the winter warmth. My garage seldom goes below 8degC and so far I have experienced no problems with my emtbs being stored in there all year round.
The house is 100% electric.

Note*: Thermalite block inner, brick outer and rockwool insulation in between.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
How much does it cost to have 8 showers a day and 2 baths......😁
And what happens when there is no electricity for 3 days?
No idea, we’ve only been in the house for 3 days. I imagine it should be fairly cheap though, we’re currently generating more electricity than we’re using.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
In the US, we mostly do wood framed homes, and add insulation. When I built mine in 2005, I made sure to insulate the garage as well as the house. 6" framed walls, fully insulated, with fully insulated ceiling. Also, insulated doors. In the deep winter, when temps dip to freezing (273K), I may use a portable propane heater for an hour or so until I can get warmed up... I would love to do an oil burning or coal heater, but we can't get coal in CA. No way would I ever use electric heat, too expensive.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles