Choice of 3 E Bikes….

Wergsy

Mar 19, 2022
Staffordshire
Evening all

My LBS has 3 potential e bikes in stock and I’m after feedback from esteemed mtb riders as to what their thoughts on each are…

Whyte Bikes E-160 S – V2 (2022 Bosch CX motor)

Spesh Turbo Kenevo Comp (2020 Spesh 2.1 motor)

Scott ransom e ride 120 (2022 Bosch motor)

Aesthetically Spesh wins it, all 3 good sat on but I am reading horror stories about Spesh motors…

I’m 188cm so looking at large/S4 as prefer it a bit smaller rather than XL.

Thoughts please – cheers

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
Well, it depends... Your riding style, level of confidence, fitness, ability. Are you more after touring or bikepark shredding, etc.?

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
Then you'll probably not make a mistake with the Kenevo. Plenty of power and no rattling on the trails and the current 2.1 motor should be better than its predecessors, too.

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
I’ve got the Whyte and it’s a great bike, I love it. However if you have to remove the battery to charge it then I’d think twice because it really is a PITA.
Luckily I don’t need to remove it because I can charge it where it is stored, I just thought I’d have a go one time and I never will again!
I think the battery placement is a good idea to keep it as secure and away from the elements as possible, but it’s not made to be routinely removed.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
If the kenevo is new or a ex demo you’ll get a 4 year motor warranty ! There can’t be many 2.1 motors about as just had the 2.2 put in mine and it’s seems way punchier !

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Another shout for the Whyte...( e160 rs owner) ..
It's as comfortable at a trail centre as it is out in the wild ..a fantastic ride.
While @Stoffel makes a valid point ( so I'm told ) about battery removal ..there are " hacks " to make this easier ...check out the Whyte section ..
Mine is a pretty biased view as I've never tried the other bikes ..but see if you can test ride each of them before you buy ..

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Loves me the Bosch motor & the Ransom looks pretty nice and rides well. The Whyte looks good too.
Over Spesh so won't comment.

I will say however, look at the components and look at the price. - then go for the one that gives you the best componentry for your dollar.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Kenevo is also a bit long in the tooth now and must surely be due an update,

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Think that model of kenevo also only has 500wh battery, if it does , then I'd be going for the whyte

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No contest. Best equipment level, best handling, best motor, best all rounder, best protection from mud and water........Whyte E160s.........even better if you can get the RS ( a few in stock a round the country). ..........Whyte e180 RS owner/ex Levo owner.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Think that model of kenevo also only has 500wh battery, if it does , then I'd be going for the whyte
Correct but you can put in a 700 ! It’s worth a thought if he can get a good deal and I mean around 4.5k then ungrade forks to zebs , make sure that shittie coil is changed , swap out the shittie bars and bin those shittie butchers . Sweet bike for just over 5k 🤪
Edit ….warrantied til March 2026 😎

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Correct but you can put in a 700 ! It’s worth a thought if he can get a good deal and I mean around 4.5k then ungrade forks to zebs , make sure that shittie coil is changed , swap out the shittie bars and bin those shittie butchers . Sweet bike for just over 5k 🤪
...and the shitty freehub and the shitty wheels..............in fact see if they will just sell you the frame:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Edit ….warrantied til March 2026 😎

l wouldn't pay £4000+ for a bike if there was so many components l didn't like on it.

l paid £4500 for my NOS 2020 Kona Remote 160 last year and in the 3,000 miles since then have changed nothing, not even the saddle, as it's all good.

Wergsy

Mar 19, 2022
Staffordshire
Had a sit on all 3 today and the Scott felt the most natural with the larger 29er wheels and chunkier frame, I’m the top end of large in all 3 at 6’2 and the Scott seemed a great fit. Going go for that, thanks for all the advice, my first post and won’t be my last.

notes

Nov 21, 2019
Sydney, Australia
Well, I hope you're happy with it. But something that I now first look at - for any new bike since I've owned a '19 Levo for the past 2 years - is the chainstay length. The Scott Ransom 920 (?) has 465mm chainstays .. pretty much the longest in the business. If you're a beginner and like stability and a good climber then this may be ok. If you want something nimble and fun, I'd stay well clear of it. Of these 3 I'd go the Whyte, looks excellent and with a super short chainstay of 442mm. The Kenevo is due for an update.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Evening all

My LBS has 3 potential e bikes in stock and I’m after feedback from esteemed mtb riders as to what their thoughts on each are…

Whyte Bikes E-160 S – V2 (2022 Bosch CX motor)

Spesh Turbo Kenevo Comp (2020 Spesh 2.1 motor)

Scott ransom e ride 120 (2022 Bosch motor)

Aesthetically Spesh wins it, all 3 good sat on but I am reading horror stories about Spesh motors…

I’m 188cm so looking at large/S4 as prefer it a bit smaller rather than XL.

Thoughts please – cheers

High Rock Ruti

2022 Specialized Levo pro

On third motor less than 1500 miles, the new motor is sso noisy probably being replaced. If you have only one bike go with the Bosche if you have a spare bike Specialized is fantastic riding bike and they replace failed motors no problems at all.

That being said;

I think my 2020 Orbea Wild fs team is a better riding bike than the Levo and the Trek Rail 9.8, the fox 38s/X2 combination is worth getting I've never been able to tune Rockshox to the Fox level of plushness. I ride all of the bikes switching sometimes daily. Of the three choices I've heard great things about the White, but never ridden..... life is very good !

Warm Regards Ruti

notes

Nov 21, 2019
Sydney, Australia
High Rock Ruti

2022 Specialized Levo pro

On third motor less than 1500 miles, the new motor is sso noisy probably being replaced. If you have only one bike go with the Bosche if you have a spare bike Specialized is fantastic riding bike and they replace failed motors no problems at all.

That being said;

I think my 2020 Orbea Wild fs team is a better riding bike than the Levo and the Trek Rail 9.8, the fox 38s/X2 combination is worth getting I've never been able to tune Rockshox to the Fox level of plushness. I ride all of the bikes switching sometimes daily. Of the three choices I've heard great things about the White, but never ridden..... life is very good !

Warm Regards Ruti
Oh, so the '22 Gen 3 Levos still have the motor fails ? This is the first I've heard.

What is it about the Orbea that makes it ride better than the Levo'22?

SUBcyclist

Apr 9, 2021
NoCar, USA
Great Scott! You chose a nice bike, and for a very good reason. The feel of a bike is critically important, as a good feel indicates proper reach, height, and overall preference. If you are happy with it, you are much more likely to ride it often. I hope you find it to be tremendously enjoyable out on the trails. If you care to, please post a photo when you are able to, so we can see and appreciate what you have chosen as your mud machine.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Oh, so the '22 Gen 3 Levos still have the motor fails ? This is the first I've heard.

What is it about the Orbea that makes it ride better than the Levo'22?

High Rock Ruti

Yes Brose motors fail, Sprague clutches, if the bearing man is correct in his diagnosis of the rear wheel not turning backwards after failure. For the life of me why Specialized hasn't chosen a new motor is a mystery. Have a deposit on the Pole Voima, Pole, suddenly decided against the Brose instead going with the Bosche last minute; a great decision. The Bosche is a stronger motor by any measure, torque figures be damned it's a faster motor, see the comment today about the Brose feeling less powerful now, than the Bosche. A failed attempt at de-powering to increase reliability by Specialized, is my guess.

I wish I understood why the Orbea rides so well, oddly the handling reminds me of the Pivot Shuttle, I've owned since 2016 still running 2800 miles. The front of both bikes ride light, making is easier to move off the ground, the Rail and the Levo are amazing at speed but more cumbersome for slow trials moves, not that I'm capable of such skills.

Last summer I took a friend riding with both the Levo and the Orbea half way through a 14 mile ride we switched bikes, we both had the same impression about the Orbea be more nimble and playful on the smooth twisty, undulating trails.

Charging into the chunder is the province of the Rail and Levo, they're monster's of composure.

Just to put a fine point on the Brose, I've now had 8 failures across 3 Levos and two complete refunds and likely a third refund in the future on 2022.

Specialized is a fantastic company, the Levo's show a refinement un matched by any e bike currently available My fingers are crossed about Pole, she's a real looker in "oh-so-obnoxious" Gold

Warm Regards Ruti

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I say buy the bike that fits you best. All the different ebike motors have failures. I had constant problems with my previous Shimano motor and haven’t had a single problem with my Kenevo SL motor in almost a year of aggressive riding, including the bike park.

notes

Nov 21, 2019
Sydney, Australia
High Rock Ruti

Yes Brose motors fail, Sprague clutches, if the bearing man is correct in his diagnosis of the rear wheel not turning backwards after failure. For the life of me why Specialized hasn't chosen a new motor is a mystery. Have a deposit on the Pole Voima, Pole, suddenly decided against the Brose instead going with the Bosche last minute; a great decision. The Bosche is a stronger motor by any measure, torque figures be damned it's a faster motor, see the comment today about the Brose feeling less powerful now, than the Bosche. A failed attempt at de-powering to increase reliability by Specialized, is my guess.

I wish I understood why the Orbea rides so well, oddly the handling reminds me of the Pivot Shuttle, I've owned since 2016 still running 2800 miles. The front of both bikes ride light, making is easier to move off the ground, the Rail and the Levo are amazing at speed but more cumbersome for slow trials moves, not that I'm capable of such skills.

Last summer I took a friend riding with both the Levo and the Orbea half way through a 14 mile ride we switched bikes, we both had the same impression about the Orbea be more nimble and playful on the smooth twisty, undulating trails.

Charging into the chunder is the province of the Rail and Levo, they're monster's of composure.

Just to put a fine point on the Brose, I've now had 8 failures across 3 Levos and two complete refunds and likely a third refund in the future on 2022.

Specialized is a fantastic company, the Levo's show a refinement un matched by any e bike currently available My fingers are crossed about Pole, she's a real looker in "oh-so-obnoxious" Gold

Warm Regards Ruti
Thanks for the extensive answer, you've certainly bought and ridden plenty of emtbs 😂 .. has certainly got me thinking. I reckon I'll cancel my Levo'22 Comp Carbon order due next week. I really don't want a detuned motor that's still going to fail.. I've already got a '19 Levo.
Looking at the details, the Orbea Wild has 65.5 degree head angle, the Pivot Shuttle 65.8 degrees. That's why they both feel nimble.. compared to the Gen3 Levo ~64 degrees. The Pole looks like a brilliant beast (agree, the Brose without dealer support would be a disaster for their business model, good to move to Bosch) - however the head angle is 63.5 degrees, so it's not going to feel snappy on the trails the way you like. You'll have to save it for the downhill park!
A good geometry comparison chart ;

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles