• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Changing a Flat while on the road. and How far can I go

tym

Jul 18, 2024
Abingdon Illinois
Two questions. I have a handle bar extender on my bike. Not much room on my handlebars. So my first question is, IF i have to replace a tube on my bike, What can I use to keep the bike stable upside down. I thought about handle bar jack. Just not sure it would work on a bike with a handle bar extender. Maybe I dont even need to turn my bike upside down and can replace the tube with my bike upright??

Second question I own a FREESKY Electric Bike Rocky Step Through for Adults 1200W Motor 48V 20AH Samsung Cells Battery Step-Thru up to 28+MPH&90Miles Ebike. I Just bought a second battery and have plans to do some real distance riding. I weigh about 160 pounds. Have a bag that will hold my battery, all total, maybe 30 to 4O pounds??

I know distance I can travel has so many factors, hills, head winds, how much pedal assist I use. So on and So on. With two fully charged Batteries, if you were to guess with what information I provided, how far do you think I can travel, and still make it back home with a little battery to spare. Thank you for your time. Have a Nice day.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I am unsure what a handlebar extender actually is. From your context I assume it is like a second bar that you fit stuff to. I can see how that might cause problems. A handlebar jack looks like a good solution. maybe a wider bar if you are short of room.

Turn the bike upside down and take the wheel off to replace the tube. If you are concerned about bike stability, drop the saddle all the way before upending the bike (if you have a dropper seatpost!)

If flats are a real inconvenience and/or are happening too often, I would strongly recommend that you convert to tubeless. You don't need special tyres to do this. See YouTube and or this Forum for advice on going tubeless. I used to average a flat tyre every 14 miles until I went tubeless with sealant. Then I went years and years before another flat. I had loads of punctures of course, just no flats! If you really do not want to go tubeless, then consider buying inner tubes that have sealant already in them. Slime make some good ones; they are a bit heavy, but they do work.

You don't say how many Watt-hrs your batteries have. But with a 1200- Watt motor that is nearly 5x as big as the ones most people use on pedal assist emtbs, you might be consuming the battery a bit quicker than most. I have no experience upon which to offer a guess on range.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Just an off the cuff guess but that type of bike is not well known for efficiency, Chineseium hub motor/fat 20" wheels/upright positioning, so I would say you will be using around 25wh/mi dependent on speed and terrain. Less if less and more if more....... With both batteries you have 1920wh's so you do the math: Wh's ÷ wh/mi. = probable distance

Good luck!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles