Change from 34T to 36T on a Rail 9

qwertycube

Apr 29, 2020
Scottish Highlands
Does anyone know if OK to put a 36T on a Rail 9? Mine has a 34T but wife’s Trek PF5 has an identical chainring, but 36T version. I could do with more bias to the higher gears. But Trek website indicates max 34T for Rail 9?????

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Does anyone know if OK to put a 36T on a Rail 9? Mine has a 34T but wife’s Trek PF5 has an identical chainring, but 36T version. I could do with more bias to the higher gears. But Trek website indicates max 34T for Rail 9?????
Yeah I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have the clearance on the chain stay for a bigger chainring, you could always try the one on your wife's bike just to see?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Any updates on this? 36t chainring would be more suitable for my current 34t but seems like there could be some fitting issues.
Could there be some difference between aluminium vs carbon frames? or between different frame sizes?

15 euros for a 36t steel chainring is not robbery for a test.

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
I have a 2021 rail 9.8XT (carbon) and the ethirteen espec steel 36T won't fit. Believe me I tried. It rubs the chainstay big time. I barely have clearance with the 34T. I feel that for quick sprints on fast and flowy trails the 34T is just a little short. The bike should come with a 36T stock!

Check out the 36T below. No way!!

36T_2.jpg
36T.jpg

sqzer

Aug 23, 2021
Slovakia
@dixie600mhz is there a spacer between motor spindle and chainring ? because i wanted to change Sram chainring - which have Silver conical spacer as you can see on photo - fits into groove after motor - SRAM X-SYNC 2 Eagle E-Bike Direct Mount chainring 1x12 for Bosch Perf, 14,50 € and on Raceface dedicated chainring for shimano was not matching with silver spacer (dont know if spacer is only used with sram chainring) or i need to have it also for shimano ethirteen/raceface chainring as well.
when i tried to include spacer offset was too much and i cannot install motor nut and definitelly chainline was offset to 2-3mm.

Just want to know if silver spacer between motor and chainring is included on Shimano prebuild Rails. thank you

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles