Levo SL Gen 1 Carbon wheel selection

Nowind

Feb 8, 2021
Guam
Need some advice on wheel selection. 2021 Turbo Levo SL Expert en route and a bunch of components as well. Debating on wheelset: We Are One Union Hydra or Enve AM30. Leaning towards We Are One but will take arguments for either (or an alternative). Weight savings is semi-important.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Just got some NOBL TR41. I've had NOBL in the past on my regular mtn bike, and liked their tires a lot then.

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
Out of the two you mention definitely the WAO. Incredible ride quality and the only wheels I have found comparable are the SC Reserves which you can't find anyplace.

I have WAO Unions, SC Reserve 30's and Roval carbon 30's in my garage right now for comparisons. Have had Enve's previously and I personally wouldn't spend the extra money for them. WAO are made in BC, come with a lifetime warranty so no net benefit to the Enve's in my mind.

Two riders in my group right now on the Zipp's. They work well for lighter/less aggressive riders. If you are heavier (over 200 lbs) or ride aggressive trails (bigger drops, lots of high speed rock) then I would pass. I was going to order a set, but there have been some durability issues. Admittedly we push everything to extremes so take it with a grain of salt.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I know it's a very small sample size, but this video is interesting re: Enve rims:

(I'm pretty sure the "generic Chinese rim" here is Light Bicycle)

For a nice balance of weight and reliability, I'm running Light Bicycle EN932 rims with a DT Swiss 240 EXP rear hub (I have an Onyx front hub but that's a long story). Front weighs 825g and rear weighs 890g. I suspect a 240 front would be even lighter. You could certainly size down from the EN932 as well (this is 32mm internal) and/or go DT 180 hubs. I like to run 2.6 tires and I find this a good width.

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
I know it's a very small sample size, but this video is interesting re: Enve rims:

(I'm pretty sure the "generic Chinese rim" here is Light Bicycle)

For a nice balance of weight and reliability, I'm running Light Bicycle EN932 rims with a DT Swiss 240 EXP rear hub (I have an Onyx front hub but that's a long story). Front weighs 825g and rear weighs 890g. I suspect a 240 front would be even lighter. You could certainly size down from the EN932 as well (this is 32mm internal) and/or go DT 180 hubs. I like to run 2.6 tires and I find this a good width.

I have run several sets of LB rims. They are very strong and a good value, but also very harsh. Probably not a big deal if you don't have a lot of rocks, but here in Socal they are very fatiguing. I didn't realize the difference until I started riding them back to back with SC Reserves. Then it became very apparent.

WAO are made in North America (if that makes a difference to you), have a lifetime warranty and are only about $150 more expensive per rim.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Nox Farlows. i29 470g rim weight. I have a pair laced to I9 hydra, CX-ray, alloy nips weighing 1740g

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles