Carbon Fiber Kickstand

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
Should ebikes have them?
Used sticks to hold up the bikes then thought a kickstand would be nice
It would have to be sleek and not get in the way while riding or cause an accident
Are there any out there?

bike - 1 (2).jpeg

IMG_0868.jpg

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
Like a kickstand that’s attached to the bike? Or one just to prop a bike up in photos?
Yes, attached to the bike. I try not to lay the bike down. Most of the time i lean the rear wheel on a tree, wall or my truck. I don’t even like to lean the bar ends on anything. My 55 pound ebike is almost like a scooter lol

Probably not cool to have. Probably will get laughed at. But they would be pretty damn convenient

I noticed on Robs video for the SL he had one to prop the bike up. Not attached

Last edited:

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
I’d like a kick stand. It’s just so darn convenient. After all these years I can’t believe no one making a good kickstand that can hide into the frame or something.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Your bike will fall over with a kick stand - they always do. It's a percentage question really. Fall over 10% of the time or 20% - that sort of thing. I learnt that when I was a kid. Personally I lie the bike down disc side, or lean it against something with handbrake applied. Handbrake is a strong rubber band that I leave on the bar - takes about 15" to apply.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
I used a click stand (with 'handbrake' as described by poster above) when touring with multiple panniers. Made fitting/removing them or stopping for a break a ton easier when on the road as you didnt always have something big enough or positioned suitably to lean a loaded tourer against.

For eMTB though? no, just lay it down. Youll cause more damage dropping it once than laying it down a hundred times. If damaging your grip is a concern, you can get metal bar end caps.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
Kickstands on bikes that are used on technical trails are inherently dangerous.
The kickstand can open unexpectedly and strike the ground causing you to crash.
If you crash with the kickstand open, you could impale yourself on it.
Also you could get laughed at.
Well yes i did say it would have to be something that wouldn’t cause an accident like for dirtbikes. Maybe someone could invent a bash guard that would act as a kickstand as well. Or maybe a self balancing bike like how honda did for a motorcycle lol

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
I used a click stand (with 'handbrake' as described by poster above) when touring with multiple panniers. Made fitting/removing them or stopping for a break a ton easier when on the road as you didnt always have something big enough or positioned suitably to lean a loaded tourer against.

For eMTB though? no, just lay it down. Youll cause more damage dropping it once than laying it down a hundred times. If damaging your grip is a concern, you can get metal bar end caps.
That looks convenient

I’ll lay down the bike if i have to. I’m thinking convenience wise. it would be nice to easily be able to park the bike especially when with a large group where space is limited

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
Your bike will fall over with a kick stand - they always do. It's a percentage question really. Fall over 10% of the time or 20% - that sort of thing. I learnt that when I was a kid. Personally I lie the bike down disc side, or lean it against something with handbrake applied. Handbrake is a strong rubber band that I leave on the bar - takes about 15" to apply.
True
Probably wouldn’t work to park on off camber single track as well
Different terrain and scenarios
So many variables lol

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
I’d like a kick stand. It’s just so darn convenient. After all these years I can’t believe no one making a good kickstand that can hide into the frame or something.
I agree
It would have to be a good one
Sleek and hidden
Doesn’t move around when riding so no accidents
Perhaps integrated inside frame
Not much weight penalty

i rode ebikes in Japan and having a kickstand was convenient. Every bike had them. Maybe shimano can make an XTR or Saint kickstand

ebike manufacturers should develop and include it as an option

IMG_1301.jpeg

Last edited:

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
ebikes yes, stands on city bikes should be mandatory, as should mudguards and baskets. So Much Utility!!!!

eMTB no (for me), when are you stopped anywhere ground is level enough to use a kickstand and not have the bike balanced precariously, I know this as i stupidly used to take my city bike offroad a lot, and the kickstand was useless and just made a lot of noise :LOL:

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
ebikes yes, stands on city bikes should be mandatory, as should mudguards and baskets. So Much Utility!!!!

eMTB no (for me), when are you stopped anywhere ground is level enough to use a kickstand and not have the bike balanced precariously, I know this as i stupidly used to take my city bike offroad a lot, and the kickstand was useless and just made a lot of noise :LOL:
the stand would probably sink in loamy dirt and bike would fall over anyways
good point

No for emtb for me right now as well. Until a perfect one is made that addresses all or most of the issues then i would reconsider

Someone could make some $$$ inventing a good integrated stand for full suspension emtb's

Last edited:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Or: great example of a downside of kick stands?

It would be no trouble at all to have both of those bikes "neatly parked" by leaning them against the hedge.

we were the only ones there at the time but propping up against the hedge would have been the way forward I agree. Lesson learned

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
Or: great example of a downside of kick stands?

It would be no trouble at all to have both of those bikes "neatly parked" by leaning them against the hedge.
i understand the pros and cons
just seeing if there is a more modern updated solution out there
in a scenario with 6 bikes there would not be enough hedge space, but would fit in that space if they had kickstands

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
just seeing if there is a more modern updated solution out there
in a scenario with 6 bikes there would not be enough hedge space, but would fit in that space if they had kickstands
You need to start with the problem, not the perceived solution.
I know this is just a bit of fun, but strikes me that you're coming up with some pretty contrived and unlikely scenarios in order to then justify a need for a "modern updated" solution to them.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020

I know this is just a bit of fun, but strikes me that you're coming up with some pretty contrived and unlikely scenarios in order to then justify a need for a "modern updated" solution to them.
lol
Just came across a few instances where i thought it would be convenient if my bike could just be parked standing on it's own

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles