Cannodale monterra neo 3

fa1321tx

Apr 2, 2024
Magnolia, TX
Love to hear it. I may have more questions, but this is the bike that my gut is telling to get.
Yeah I scoured the internet for weeks before pulling the trigger. A few factors closed the deal for me.
1. Bosch - Parts are available & warranty support feedback online is positive.
2. Smart System with Kiox 300 - I am riding at several new to me spots. Using Trail forks/ Komoot I can import ride routes and display them on the Kiox. Its not perfect but might get better and still offers peace of mind as it is now.
3. LBS - As you mention they sell Cannondale locally so free adjustments are nice.
4. Cannondale - Been around forever feedback on these bikes is they are tough as tanks
5. Price / Value - Components for price point is a value compared to everything else I was seeing. Also they post the price on the website so really no haggling with the LBS in fact he knocked off $100 which I used towards the tubeless set up.

I did change the saddle to a WTB Volt that I already had purchased for my previous bike. Saddles are 100% user preference.

Tgianco

May 2, 2024
Folsom, CA
So, I went ahead and purchased the 2024 Cannondale Moterra Neo3 from Mike's Bikes in Folsom in olive green. They are going to make it tubeless, upgrade the pedals and install a water bottle holder (cheap item). It should be ready by Friday (I have a conference from Tues-Thurs anyway), and the weather here in NorCal is going to be sunny & warm next weekend. Yippee-kay-aye!

fa1321tx

Apr 2, 2024
Magnolia, TX
So, I went ahead and purchased the 2024 Cannondale Moterra Neo3 from Mike's Bikes in Folsom in olive green. They are going to make it tubeless, upgrade the pedals and install a water bottle holder (cheap item). It should be ready by Friday (I have a conference from Tues-Thurs anyway), and the weather here in NorCal is going to be sunny & warm next weekend. Yippee-kay-aye!
Awesome I think you will love it. Have them make sure Automode is installed as one of the ride modes. I had to take mine back to a Bosch dealer to have it installed. After you do that moving forward all the other updates should work from the app. Post a pic when you get it as I did not see any photos of the green till after I ordered mine. Im a little jealous! lol!!

Tip: Make sure you let off the pressure on the pedals when shifting gears or it will make a horrible crunch sounds like its eating the gears.

Last edited:

Tgianco

May 2, 2024
Folsom, CA
Awesome I think you will love it. Have them make sure Automode is installed as one of the ride modes. I had to take mine back to a Bosch dealer to have it installed. After you do that moving forward all the other updates should work from the app. Post a pic when you get it as I did not see any photos of the green till after I ordered mine. Im a little jealous! lol!!

Tip: Make sure you let off the pressure on the pedals when shifting gears or it will make a horrible crunch sounds like its eating the gears.
Should I call them to ask for that ahead of time? I have to leave town for a few days (business), so will pick it up Friday. I am hoping for a good tutorial, setting up the app, making sure the suspension is set to my height/ weight, etc. Do these bikes have a set password (almost universal, a la Himiway, Aventon, Velotric, etc)? This will be my 3rd ebike in my collection... have the Cruiser, an urban (well, suburban for me) commuter and now, the coup de grace, my e-mtb.

fa1321tx

Apr 2, 2024
Magnolia, TX
Should I call them to ask for that ahead of time? I have to leave town for a few days (business), so will pick it up Friday. I am hoping for a good tutorial, setting up the app, making sure the suspension is set to my height/ weight, etc. Do these bikes have a set password (almost universal, a la Himiway, Aventon, Velotric, etc)? This will be my 3rd ebike in my collection... have the Cruiser, an urban (well, suburban for me) commuter and now, the coup de grace, my e-mtb.
I would call ahead and just have it done before you pick it up. It does not take them any time at all to do it. Bosch has tons of videos on their website. Rockshox has an app to set your pressure and rebound. The shop might be able to do that for you as well. I have not used the passcode yet. I could be wrong but it seems like it uses your phone to unlock / lock. My fear is breaking my phone then getting locked out. If I was using it as a commuter too I would consider adding the Bosch Connect Module for GPS tracking and alarm.

Tgianco

May 2, 2024
Folsom, CA
I would call ahead and just have it done before you pick it up. It does not take them any time at all to do it. Bosch has tons of videos on their website. Rockshox has an app to set your pressure and rebound. The shop might be able to do that for you as well. I have not used the passcode yet. I could be wrong but it seems like it uses your phone to unlock / lock. My fear is breaking my phone then getting locked out. If I was using it as a commuter too I would consider adding the Bosch Connect Module for GPS tracking and alarm.
Yeah, I saw that but it's not available for all Bosch models. I'll ask about it.

chelbach

May 8, 2024
indiana
I bought also the Moterra Neo 3, but I "transplanted" some components, donor was my previous bike, components are: Fork Fox 36 Factory Grip2, brakes Magura MT7. I also bought wheels DT Swiss 1700HX (Not yet mounted), and shock Fox Float X Factory from ebay USA. Now, it is perfect.

And yes, it has two drills for the kickstand

View attachment 137530 View attachment 137531
is this a size small? i just got a large and dont seem to have the clearance to fit the float x on mine.
same orientation as yours the piggy back hits the frame.
tried flipping it around with the piggyback facing out as well but the rear doesnt seem to work either as the linkage hits the shock before lining up with the hole

fa1321tx

Apr 2, 2024
Magnolia, TX
is this a size small? i just got a large and dont seem to have the clearance to fit the float x on mine.
same orientation as yours the piggy back hits the frame.
tried flipping it around with the piggyback facing out as well but the rear doesnt seem to work either as the linkage hits the shock before lining up with the hole
He said in an earlier post is is an XL

Tgianco

May 2, 2024
Folsom, CA
By the way, I rode with a buddy on Saturday at Sly Park in NorCal. He has a 2021 Orbea Rise (he paid like $9k for it). He's a very good, experienced rider.
He was GREATLY impressed by the performance of my Cannondale. On the climbs, using the same PAS, I blew him away (we're about the same weight, too). He also noted that my Bosch motor was very quiet compared to the Shimano EP8. Being a, somewhat, bike snob, he likes the idea that it's so quiet that someone can't tell your riding an e-mtb. Personally, I don't care & kind of want people to know they're getting their butt kicked by an "e-biker."

fa1321tx

Apr 2, 2024
Magnolia, TX
By the way, I rode with a buddy on Saturday at Sly Park in NorCal. He has a 2021 Orbea Rise (he paid like $9k for it). He's a very good, experienced rider.
He was GREATLY impressed by the performance of my Cannondale. On the climbs, using the same PAS, I blew him away (we're about the same weight, too). He also noted that my Bosch motor was very quiet compared to the Shimano EP8. Being a, somewhat, bike snob, he likes the idea that it's so quiet that someone can't tell your riding an e-mtb. Personally, I don't care & kind of want people to know they're getting their butt kicked by an "e-biker."
That’s awesome glad you are happy with it! I bought my GF a Gas Gas Enduro 2.0. It has the Yamaha PW-X3 it is so quiet even compared to the Bosch. I am a heavy rider so my motor makes some noise. I still prefer ETMB mode over Auto on the trails. I have ridden mine several times now and I absolutely love it. I get about 3 rides on the battery before needing to charge it. Only thing I felt like needed an upgrade was the seat. Other than that I am super happy with mine.

Tgianco

May 2, 2024
Folsom, CA
That’s awesome glad you are happy with it! I bought my GF a Gas Gas Enduro 2.0. It has the Yamaha PW-X3 it is so quiet even compared to the Bosch. I am a heavy rider so my motor makes some noise. I still prefer ETMB mode over Auto on the trails. I have ridden mine several times now and I absolutely love it. I get about 3 rides on the battery before needing to charge it. Only thing I felt like needed an upgrade was the seat. Other than that I am super happy with mine.
Seriously considered the Gas Gas, too, but the dealer was about 25 minutes away (whereas my Cannondale dealer is under 10 minutes away... I also signed up for the ultra-premium 5-year maintenance plan for $750, which gets me unlimited minor tune-ups and 1 MAJOR e-bike tune up every year).

fa1321tx

Apr 2, 2024
Magnolia, TX
Seriously considered the Gas Gas, too, but the dealer was about 25 minutes away (whereas my Cannondale dealer is under 10 minutes away... I also signed up for the ultra-premium 5-year maintenance plan for $750, which gets me unlimited minor tune-ups and 1 MAJOR e-bike tune up every year).
Yeah I didn’t have the extra $1,000 to get her a Cannondale too. Its a great second choice.

bheiser1

Subscriber
Jun 18, 2024
Sierra foothills, California
I just got the Moterra Neo 3 yesterday as my first ebike. I thought long and hard about it, and thought about a Velotric Summit or Aventon Ramblas (which people seem to love) as well as Polygon, Husqvarna, and GasGas online. Most of the “good” brands with good size batteries, good torque, and decent components are priced out of reach. But then I ran across this bike for $4K (still a stretch in my situation), and picked it up yesterday at Mikes Bikes in Folsom, CA. I see someone else in this thread got theirs there too. It’s a couple hours from me so not exactly “local” but I went for it anyway … still better than buying sight unseen online.

I went on a 23 mile ride on paved and dirt paths in Folsom yesterday before driving home. It’s a ton ‘o fun! Now I have a sore knee and a (very) sore butt (need to explore seat options and dig out the ole padded shorts). I rode another 3 miles this morning and then did a firmware update and have the battery charging now.

I hope I didn’t make a mistake on the sizing. I’m 6’ but relatively short legs at a 32” inseam and I got the medium. I rode it and it felt fine. I stood over the large and it felt too big. My seat post is fully extended and my legs are near extended on the low pedal. My riding position isn’t upright like on a cruiser, but I’m not leaning forward too sharply. I see I could adjust the seat about an inch further back if needed. I like the medium as it feels more agile (though it’s still big and heavy). They weighed it at the store and it came in at 58 lbs… I really want to keep it solidly under 60 lbs in case I want to ride the trails at our local ski area (they have a 60 lb limit). Also the large size is longer, and even the medium barely fits on the rack I got (easy fold XT).

Anyway I’m looking forward to exploring the nearly unlimited off road riding opportunities we have around here, and getting lots of exercise. Yesterday I was excited to see how it climbs (amazing!) yet at the same time I feel like I got a workout overall.

Btw, they did tubeless conversion for me, and replaced the Rekon with a Dissector. Everything I’ve read about the Rekon leads me to not trust it on solo rides miles from a main road.

I opted for the Mikes Bikes “pro” service plan (ouch). I have to keep reminding myself that it’s just pre-payment for stuff I’ll want to do anyway to maintain it well, and labor prices will only go up so this will save me money.

It was a big spend day but I’m grateful to have this bike! It will get lots of use.

IMG_5460.jpeg

fa1321tx

Apr 2, 2024
Magnolia, TX
I am 5' 11" and they had the Moterra Neo 4 in a large and it felt big. I ordered a Neo 3 in the medium and it seems like a good fit. I too felt like the seat was a bit forward so adjusted it when I replaced the seat with a WTB. The Bosch puts out some power! You can adjust it in the app and it gets even more aggressive. The 58 pounds is surprising but it doesn't feel heavy on the trail. It also seems to be built like a tank so I guess that's the trade off. I had to replace my seat within a couple of days. Loving the olive green ones!! Too bad they look mustard yellow on the website or I would be rocking one!

bheiser1

Subscriber
Jun 18, 2024
I am 5' 11" and they had the Moterra Neo 4 in a large and it felt big. I ordered a Neo 3 in the medium and it seems like a good fit. I too felt like the seat was a bit forward so adjusted it when I replaced the seat with a WTB. The Bosch puts out some power! You can adjust it in the app and it gets even more aggressive. The 58 pounds is surprising but it doesn't feel heavy on the trail. It also seems to be built like a tank so I guess that's the trade off. I had to replace my seat within a couple of days. Loving the olive green ones!! Too bad they look mustard yellow on the website or I would be rocking one!
Even more aggressive, wow. I haven’t even tried turbo yet, though I used eMTB a bit yesterday up a couple short steep climbs and, wow! If I could name it I’d call it the mountain goat. 😎

The store guy yesterday said he rides one of these, and he (taller than me) usually gets an XL. But for the Moterra 3 get got a L. It seems these tend towards big. And I rode a large size Giant while shopping and the medium in this feels about like that one.

bheiser1

Subscriber
Jun 18, 2024
Even more aggressive, wow. I haven’t even tried turbo yet, though I used eMTB a bit yesterday up a couple short steep climbs and, wow! If I could name it I’d call it the mountain goat. 😎

The store guy yesterday said he rides one of these, and he (taller than me) usually gets an XL. But for the Moterra 3 get got a L. It seems these tend towards big. And I rode a large size Giant while shopping and the medium in this feels about like that one.
Also I noticed the green does tend to look like mustard in certain light. I’m still good with it though. I thought I was going to get “mercury” but am glad it worked out that I got this instead. The mercury one was a large.

fa1321tx

Apr 2, 2024
Magnolia, TX
EMTB is my favorite mode on the trails! As you mentioned I still get a good work out too. It keeps me looking for things to hit even in boring sections. I got too aggressive and flew into a creek last trip seriously though I was going over the bars! Nope the Yari & 29" wheel took the hit and I popped out on the other side.

bheiser1

Subscriber
Jun 18, 2024
EMTB is my favorite mode on the trails! As you mentioned I still get a good work out too. It keeps me looking for things to hit even in boring sections. I got too aggressive and flew into a creek last trip seriously though I was going over the bars! Nope the Yari & 29" wheel took the hit and I popped out on the other side.
I noticed the weight of the bike on the ups and downs on the trail by Folsom Lake, like going down with an immediate turn to one side. The bike wanted to keep going straight. It’ll tow some practice to learn proper technique.

And I havent ridden full suspension til now and I love how it feels on bumps and terrain. This morning I rode around our neighborhood (our county is ranked the very bottom of the list of all counties in the state for road conditions). The bumps and broken pavement didn’t phase the bike.

Tgianco

May 2, 2024
Folsom, CA
@bheiser1 Congrats! Yeah, I bought mine there, too (same color, also got the tubeless & bought the "Pro" maintenance plan, too). My buddy says I should take off the Rekon, too.
This bike is a lot of fun, and it's a lot quieter than my buddy's Orbea Rise. I've really only used Eco & Trail modes, but Trail mode gets you up just about anything. I'm having MCL surgery on Thursday, but let me know if you want to get out on a ride together sometime after the 4th of July.

Last edited:

Tgianco

May 2, 2024
Folsom, CA
I went George of the Jungle on Sunday at Sly Park and ran into a tree. No harm, no foul... just some laughs about it.

bheiser1

Subscriber
Jun 18, 2024
@bheiser1 Congrats! Yeah, I bought mine there, too (same color, also got the tubeless & bought the "Pro" maintenance plan, too). My buddy says I should take off the Rekon, too.
This bike is a lot of fun, and it's a lot quieter than my buddy's Orbea Rise. I've really only used Eco & Trail modes, but Trail mode gets you up just about anything. I'm having MCL surgery on Thursday, but let me know if you want to get out on a ride together sometime after the 4th of July.
That would be fun. I'm in the Sonora area, so it's a drive, but I see there's lots of good riding in the Folsom area. I should get up to speed a bit first (no pun intended) as I'm a total newbie and don't want to slow you down. :)

This is what I've used so far, but it's been mostly pavement and it'll probably change over time as I get off the roads. I've had to keep the riding minimal, and took yesterday off completely, to let my knees and a sore sit bone recover. My knees feel ok and I have a new seat arriving today so more riding soon! I'm trying to ease into it to avoid any long-term injuries, it's been years since I did any biking.

Good luck with your surgery!

IMG_5509.jpeg

Tgianco

May 2, 2024
Folsom, CA
That would be fun. I'm in the Sonora area, so it's a drive, but I see there's lots of good riding in the Folsom area. I should get up to speed a bit first (no pun intended) as I'm a total newbie and don't want to slow you down. :)

Good luck with your surgery!

View attachment 142507
I'm a total newbie, too. You would not be slowing me down any.
Feeling pretty good after the surgery, but looks like it will be about 4 weeks or so before I can, possibly, be back riding any trails.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles