Can you add a thumb throttle to a Gen 3 S-Works?

Tarbs

Dec 2, 2020
USA
I'm wondering if anyone has added a thumb throttle to a Gen 3 S-Works? I come from a motocross background and would love to have a thumb throttle to power out of corners. I looked online, but wasn't able to locate any supplier selling a throttle kit, or mention of anyone who maybe found a way to add one. I think it would be amazing.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
It’s not possible. You need to move the cranks in order to extract power from the motor.

If you want a throttle you maybe better off looking at a Surron or similar.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Even if you could install a throttle, you can't, on your Levo you would be sorely disappointed in pinning it coming out of a corner as you suggest because a less than 1 h.p. motor doesn't have anywhere near the snot that your moto has.

Not saying a throttle isn't handy and I wouldn't own an ebike without one but use it only for starting off and as a walk assist.

Tarbs

Dec 2, 2020
USA
Yeah, makes sense now that you're saying it - not getting that pop of power out of the corner. But, I still think it would be a ton of fun to have some power to help pedal out of corners.

juggernaut

Mar 31, 2023
Australia
Frey uses the Bafang Ultra motors in their bikes with throttles. I doubt the smaller light weight mid mount euro motors could handle the thermal loads generated by a throttle.

weihlac

Subscriber
Oct 12, 2020
USA
I'm wondering if anyone has added a thumb throttle to a Gen 3 S-Works? I come from a motocross background and would love to have a thumb throttle to power out of corners. I looked online, but wasn't able to locate any supplier selling a throttle kit, or mention of anyone who maybe found a way to add one. I think it would be amazing.
If you want a throttle, you just spent a whole lot of money and bought the wrong bike. Your bike is a Class I pedal assist ebike. There is no way to add a throttle to the bike. Take the bike back and get a Class II.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles