Can someone help me out with rear shock question....

Oblivious

Mar 11, 2019
USA
Still learning about rear shocks but can someone explain these measurements and why there is a discrepancy? First pic are the sizes the Fox website says the Fox FLOAT Factory DPS is available in. The 2nd pic is from S-Works specs off Specialized website. Why does the size that Specialized says is on their Levo's with Fox rear shocks fall right between two of the available sizes from Fox? What do those numbers even mean? I'm asking because I want to get a comp carbon but upgrade to the Factory DPS rear shock. Thanks in advance!

Fox website:
Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 1.58.09 PM.png

Specialized website:
Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 1.57.42 PM.png

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
... Why does the size that Specialized says is on their Levo's with Fox rear shocks fall right between two of the available sizes from Fox? What do those numbers even mean?...
The first number is the eye-to-eye length of the shock. Shorter or longer will lower or raise the rear of the bike. The second number is the shaft stroke, i.e., how much it travels. A 52.5mm stroke with an apx. 2.8:1 linkage leverage ratio would give ~150mm travel. In some shocks you can add a travel spacer to reduce shaft travel and rear wheel travel. (Do not confuse with an air volume spacer used to adjust shock progressiveness!) You will have to call Fox to see if this is possible - they are very helpful and can give you the part number if available. Specialized's 52.5mm stroke shock may be proprietary or just be the 55mm stroke shock with a 2.5mm spacer. You may be able to use the Fox 55mm stroke shock without a travel spacer if the bike will handle the extra 7mm or so of travel without any components (rear triangle, frame, or tire) hitting one another. You can deflate your current shock and measure clearance to see if this might work. This sort of thing (adding travel spacers or changing stroke a bit, even changing eye-to-eye sometimes with offset bushings) is done fairly commonly. It will be helpful to have someone with experience assist you if you're not confident tackling it on your own.

Last edited:

Oblivious

Mar 11, 2019
USA
Right on thanks for the info. Id bet that its a spacer since a rear shock is not something thats meant to last the whole life of the bike and I would hope Specialized would have allowed off the shelf replacement and not proprietary custom parts.

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
i wonder if anyone knows how specialized raised the ride heighth of the 2018 10mm over the previous model. on the front they increased the fork travel 10mm but, on the back, what exactly did they change on the rear to increase travel / height? stroke? length? the yolk? the shock? can a 2018 yolk be fitted to a 2017 and get 150mm? ???‍♂️

bobh3501

Jan 5, 2019
California
To answer your specific questions....

The 52.5 stroke is OEM by Fox for Specialized so not listed as a "standard" metric size. Your Specialized dealer/LBS can totally order the S-works Factory DPS shock in 52.5 stroke length from Fox even though it is not standard - at least my dealer could! There are several threads in the Specialized section on rear suspension though most are focused on coil shock replacements.

Oblivious

Mar 11, 2019
USA
To answer your specific questions....

The 52.5 stroke is OEM by Fox for Specialized so not listed as a "standard" metric size. Your Specialized dealer/LBS can totally order the S-works Factory DPS shock in 52.5 stroke length from Fox even though it is not standard - at least my dealer could! There are several threads in the Specialized section on rear suspension though most are focused on coil shock replacements.

Interesting thanks. I just saw in another thread someone is using the 210x55mm and the extra bit of travel is not causing an issue. Still curious if they have spacers for the DPS shocks.

Ddc6284

Oct 30, 2018
Saint Louis MO
I'm the guy from the other thread... I still have room when the shock it totally deflated. I Have a 2019 Size Large. Think you'll be fine with 210x55.... Never hurts to play it safe though.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
i wonder if anyone knows how specialized raised the ride heighth of the 2018 10mm over the previous model. on the front they increased the fork travel 10mm but, on the back, what exactly did they change on the rear to increase travel / height? stroke? length? the yolk? the shock? can a 2018 yolk be fitted to a 2017 and get 150mm? ???‍♂️
Far as i know both 2017 and 2018 are 135mm rear travel, only the 2019 levo has 150mm rear travel

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
I'm considering installing a volume reducer in my DPS performance (2019 Comp Carbon) but the information on the Fox website is a bit of a mine field. It would appear that either I can or can't install a reducer depending on whether I have an LV or SV shock. Fox appear to list both in the parts list on their website. Does anyone know what it is that I have and if I can install the reducer?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@jonpress I don't know the answer to your question, but I can help.
On the body of your shock somewhere, there will be a four digit alpha code (like DFJK). That code describes the shock exactly and will provide the answer. Go to the Fox website and search for it. Failing that, phone your nearest Fox suspension service agent and ask them. They will be able to answer your question in seconds. i rang them on another matter and during the call they asked me for the code and then told me all about the shock.

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
@jonpress I don't know the answer to your question, but I can help.
On the body of your shock somewhere, there will be a four digit alpha code (like DFJK). That code describes the shock exactly and will provide the answer. Go to the Fox website and search for it. Failing that, phone your nearest Fox suspension service agent and ask them. They will be able to answer your question in seconds. i rang them on another matter and during the call they asked me for the code and then told me all about the shock.
Thanks. I tried the tune code but there is no information as to what one it is. I’ll try and get in touch with Fox.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks. I tried the tune code but there is no information as to what one it is. I’ll try and get in touch with Fox.
Maybe it depends upon the bike and year. Really, leave Fox until last as they are sure to take longer to reply. Ring up Silverfish (if you are in the UK) as they are the UK service agent for Fox suspension. 01752 843882

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
Well I feel like a right spanner now. I've been out looking at the shock and comparing to technical drawings on Fox's website trying to decipher what I have. I've just put the tune code back into the Fox website and noticed that under the big white text that says 2019 performance series float there is some small grey text that says.

2019, FLOAT DPS, P-S, A, 3pos, Evol LV, Specialized, Levo Comp Carbon, 210, 52.5, 0.8 Spacer, LCF, LRM, CML, Standard Logo, N/M
Well I feel like a right plum now.

So that answers the question on the tokens. Now to decide it I want to buy a DPX2 instead.

Thanks for everyone's help

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles