Can I pick your brains again?

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
yea, i just have a bottle of Stans in the cupboard and top up whenever. (which is very rare to be honest)

My last set of tires...i wore out the tread before i had to top up. ie...i changed new tires when the treads died and it still had sealant inside

Thanks jwrx, I was sure I'd read that the sealant only lasts a few months and has to be replaced with fresh; it's good to hear thats incorrect.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Thanks jwrx, I was sure I'd read that the sealant only lasts a few months and has to be replaced with fresh; it's good to hear thats incorrect.

diffrent tires have diffrent levels of 'soak'...so when installing brand new tires for first time, i tend to pour in extra 50ml to let it seep into the tire.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I use milkit valves. Setting up and checking the quantity and condition of sealant every few months is easy. If advise against Stan's race sealant, it dried out very quickly, maybe the clues in the name.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
If you do go tubeless, the Spesh bikes are normally nicely set up for it with the wheels correctly taped and decent valves supplied with the bike, so it only takes about half an hour even if you're unfamiliar.

There was also this thread recently about tannus :

Does anyone use Tannus Armour in their tyres? - EMTB Forums

Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciated :)

Looks like for me, Tannus might be the way to go. under £70 all in, without the anxiety or mess of tubeless.

I've been through loads of reviews, and most of them are positive. Other tyre inserts still require tubeless set up, so the inserts would be an additional cost on top of tubeless set up.

I'll order tomorrow in case they turn up an a Black Friday deal somewhere.

Thanks again :)

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
I'm a new Levo owner. First proper ride out got 2 pich flats in the rear and I wasn't even hooning it. I've gone tubeless using the standard wheels/tyres. Just needed to buy valves and sealant. I went for Muc-Off sealant as came much higher rated than Stans etc. Managed to pop the tyres to the rim using mini gas cartridges. So far so happy.

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
Carrying a tube/pump etc creates its own issues; a bag that fits in the bottle cage means getting an adapter so I can fit 2 cages - or no drink. Plus the hassle of actually swapping out the inner tube when I get a puncture - not much fun this time of year.
Regardless of tube/tubeless setup, i though carrying a pump and tubes were part of the "don't leave home without it" kit? Do tubeless riders really not carry a tube to over the worst case scenario?

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Regardless of tube/tubeless setup, i though carrying a pump and tubes were part of the "don't leave home without it" kit? Do tubeless riders really not carry a tube to over the worst case scenario?

if a puncture/cut is bad enuff that the sealant wont seal it...pump is pretty much redundant.

net wurker

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2019
Huntsville, AL USA
That's when you pull the valve stem out and throw a tube in so you can ride out instead of push out. May have to wrap a dollar bill around the tube where the tire is gashed.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I've been carrying a Blackburn plugger, strapped under the top tube, it's enabled me to seal a puncture that sealant alone couldn't cope with, on two occasions, with negligible loss of pressure. Just ordered Stan's DART, well worth checking out.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
That's when you pull the valve stem out and throw a tube in so you can ride out instead of push out. May have to wrap a dollar bill around the tube where the tire is gashed.
With the exchange rate we get these days, no way. I hear an energy gel thingy (empty) works.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
After a lot reading and tubing, Ive ordered A set of Tannus Armour inserts and a inner tubes.
Should be here early next week.

Going down this route, for me, just makes things easier and less messy. I've no doubt going tubeless would be just as convenient, but some of the stories and issues that can crop up put me off.

The Tannus system looks like a simple fit and forget solution, and I'm not sure things like the weight or even feel will affect me very much as a newbie, I won't know any different - only done 20 miles so far!

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
................. Do tubeless riders really not carry a tube to over the worst case scenario?

Not only do I carry a pump and tube (part of my talisman to prevent me ever getting a flat), but also tube patches in case I subsequently get a puncture in the tube. AND some tyre patches in case I get a split or tear in the tyre wall, to stop the tube from poking out and exploding.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Not only do I carry a pump and tube (part of my talisman to prevent me ever getting a flat), but also tube patches in case I subsequently get a puncture in the tube. AND some tyre patches in case I get a split or tear in the tyre wall, to stop the tube from poking out and exploding.
And a pair of nitrile gloves to stop the goop getting all over my hands.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
And a pair of nitrile gloves to stop the goop getting all over my hands.

A very good idea! I now remember it being suggested a few weeks ago when I thought it was a good idea then. But promptly forgot about it until now!!! :giggle:
Will now go into the garage where I have a box of gloves hung on the wall, and put some in my backpack!
Thanks for the reminder. (y)

Edit: Just done it. I have put two gloves into one of those small zip lock plastic bags that tiny components are sold in.

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
Tubeless isn't really about "normal" puncture protection, it's about being able to run lower pressure without risk of snakebite punctures. Lower pressure = more grip and if you believe the hype, lower rolling resistance. Of course it does help with "normal" punctures, and I've taken working fine tyres off which actually had several thorns in them, but it isn't infallible. But that's where anchovies come it, you have to do a good bit of damage before one of those won't seal up!

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Sasame boat, levo running 2.6,bike shop spoke to tannus while I was standing there, doesn't matter whether you run 2.5 or 2.6

Do you have them fitted Levo19?

Mine should be here Mon/Tues, not riding till then :(

I should have posted the reply from Tannus:

'Thanks for your message regarding armour 2.6". Although we technically go up to 2.5, we have a lot of riders using it with 2.6"....so yes, you should be fine.'

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
3 rides in and 1 puncture already has put a damper on my new ride :(

Today, I replaced the inner tube without checking the inside of the tyre (schoolboy error I know) - 2 inner tubes punctured now, good job I bought 2 new tubes.

I've thought about going tubeless, but thats could get expensive, tubeless pump, sealant etc. Also I understand the sealant has to be replaced every few months, please correct me if I'm wrong.

So I'm thinking about a bag that fits in the frame to carry everything required for the trail; spare tube, pump, levers etc.

As I'm not keen on a backpack, does anyone know of a bag the fits in the frame of the Levo that would hold everything?

Any other idea's welcome too :)

High Rock Ruti

Cushcore, tubless i.e. no more flats.

Stans Race formula you already spent enough on tubes to pay for tubless.

Cushcore is expensive $150 plus install but I've lowered pressure to about 16 lbs plush ride traction galore, just finished smashing Rock ride.....nothin but fun

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
if a puncture/cut is bad enuff that the sealant wont seal it...pump is pretty much redundant.
Not true. A mate had a tyre 'cut' over rocks and there is no way it would have sealed whilst tubeless but it worked fine when fitted with a tube and some re-inforcement over the cut (i.e. another bit of inner tube). Also I've seen two wheels get rim dings where they just wouldn't seal but held no problem with an inner tube. Even running tubeless I carry tubes for just these situations.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Arrived, fitted and ridden today (y)

Mr Postie delivered the Tannus Armour at 10.30, all fitted by 11.00 - although I did have everything ready - wheels off and tubes out. They were much easier to fit than I thought, simply insert the Tannus, insert the inner tube into the Tannus and put tyre on rim. Pump up the inner tube and its done.

Went for a ride for about an hour on hardpack/roads/bridle ways, the ride didn't feel much different to before apart from slightly less vibration.

I've gone from 30psi to 24psi, and think I'll go a little lower tomorrow.

After the flat on the third ride, the inserts gave me more confidence to ride harder and faster. knowing I'd get home even if another thorn did get into a tyre.

Thanks again for all the advice :)

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
My humble suggestion: Tubeless, Stan’s sealant, Black Diamond compound on rear tire and Cushcore in both. Yes, a bit heavy but it has been the best investment for my kind of riding.
True!!!
The only thing that really works! (For me anyway)...
Cushcore and black diamond tires..with Stan's.
Tim.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles