Cadence

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
You don't actually "have to" spin at any particular speed. All mid drive motors operate within a range of cadences.
all of them drop off their assiatance output considerably at genuinely high cadences.
Yep. I realise. It's just that I feel like the E8000 provided more assistance at lower cadences than the EP8 (I still have both bikes to compare directly). The EP8 doesn't seem to want to pull me up a decent incline at very low cadences like the old motor did. I'm still leaning the new motor and playing with the software but, for me, it feels like the EP8 sweet spot is smaller than the E8000 and also higher in cadence.

Gordon

MRED_mtb

Feb 22, 2023
Everett WA
Curious.... I've always had the bad habit or preference to push harder gears at a slower cadence... which of the current motors out there are suited for something like that? Do any do better for slower peddlers?

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
Curious.... I've always had the bad habit or preference to push harder gears at a slower cadence... which of the current motors out there are suited for something like that? Do any do better for slower peddlers?
Yamaha cuts out at high cadence. But i think all do well at low cadence, if they have a torque sensor.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Yamaha cuts out at high cadence. But i think all do well at low cadence, if they have a torque sensor.
I thought low cadence gives less power with high battery drain and optimal cadence is different in the various brands.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
How much motor assist is provided at different cadences is largely defined by each motor manufacturers firmware. The Brose motor as used by Specialized ( and with firmware designed by Specialized) provides more support at lower cadences than a Bosch Gen4 for example. Typically in Trail mode with the Brose motor you get good support at a cadence of 40+ whereas a Bosch Gen4 requires a cadence of 60+ to get similar degrees of support. If the Bosch Gen4 is Bosch Smart System, the riding modes can be tuned in the Fow App and with the right settings more power at lower cadences than the standard tune can be achieved.

The best battery range and least wear and tear on the drivetrain for most motors is to engage a gear that requires low torque input from the rider. I have no experience of the Shimano motor so do not know how it compares.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles