Buying without trying....?

Choppersquad

Nov 10, 2021
Leatherhead
Hi everyone.
I'm looking at buying my first ebike and due to the current market shortage I'm struggling to find anything in stock locally.
This has really left me with the choice of demoing and then buying a YT Decoy, or just taking the plunge and buying a Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 Hpc (about £700 cheaper) without even throwing a leg over one.
I was just wondering how many of you just ordered your bikes without sitting on/riding them first?
Many thanks.

Ogofmole

Oct 30, 2021
Wales, UK
I never rode any, but we do have two local cycle shops stocking e-bikes, so I was able to throw my leg over them first (glad that I did, as the top tube is quite high on some models).

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I'm 6'3". Pretty much only one size i can ride :LOL: Besides size most geometry in the all mtn range is pretty much the same. Outwith that any personal changes - stem length angle, bar width,rise can be easily fettled.
On buying the initial choice in XL couldnt be got, the supplier had none but a second choice in XL was offered so that was what I got.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I always end up buying my bikes (e bike or not) without trying.

I know what I want in terms of geometry and dimensions, and can read between the lines of reviews and understand what I need to with regards to the characteristics of the ride.

Not had a bad bike yet....

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I bought my Whyte E-150 RS blind and don’t regret it…….as @Mteam mentioned I looked a geometry, reach and stack…..oh and price.
Had a look on line and read reviews.
We’ll pleased with purchase.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I was just wondering how many of you just ordered your bikes without sitting on/riding them first?

Thinking back, I don't think I've ever had a honest test ride on any bike before I've purchased it. In the early days, my decisions were more random. Nowadays, I have a good idea of what I require in a bike. But I'm certainly not smart enough to be able to properly evaluate a bike after just a loop around an easy trail. I need to ride, adjust, tweak, ride some more, and go home and think about it before being able to decide what I like and dislike about a bike.

I think your first step should be to figure out what kind of trails you like, and what you intend to do with the bike.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I think test rides on full suss bikes are of limited value, you can use them to understand how well the bike fits you, but that's about it.

It takes so much tinkering and adjusting of suspension settings to get a bike riding well that a single test ride is not enough. It usually takes me 4 or 5 weeks of riding to get a new bike fully dialled in and adjusted to my tastes...... Or maybe I'm adjusting myself to the bike?

A badly setup (for you) demo bike could put you off immediately.

Last edited:

pmcdonald

Oct 22, 2021
NSW, Australia
Just bought without riding the bike. I did sit on a few. Like another poster I'm 6'3" and near the L/XL border on a few brands. The sit test confirmed L was an inch short of a good time. Briefly ridden a mates Shimano equipped Ebike so I have a vague sense of what to expect from the motor too.

TBH even in pre-covid days when such things were possible a test ride really isn't enough for me to get a good impression of a bikes character. Ideally I'd live with it for a few days before making a properly informed decision, so hires or 48 hour test rides (remember those?). Reviewers like Rob, Flow, Emtb Magazine do a great proxy job of zeroing in on a bikes nature.

Bike has arrived, no regrets buying it unseen. (Yet.) I'm conscious I'm in confirmation bias land though. Just get your sizing sorted by a LBS if you can.

Last edited:

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
We bought a Levo SL and a Como, both without trying them because the dealer could not keep any in stock. I did try a StumpJumper for fit since that was the closest thing to a Levo SL We also tried a Vado since we know someone who has one, that convinced us that Specialized had a pretty good rider/motor power integration.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I changed from a Trek Powerfly to an Orbea Wild. I bought the Wild on line without a trial ride. When I first got on it I thought I had made a dreadful mistake but after just a couple of hours I got used to it and could not imagine going back. I love the bike but if I had done a test ride before hand I would not have bought it.

Ogofmole

Oct 30, 2021
Wales, UK
I changed from a Trek Powerfly to an Orbea Wild. I bought the Wild on line without a trial ride. When I first got on it I thought I had made a dreadful mistake but after just a couple of hours I got used to it and could not imagine going back. I love the bike but if I had done a test ride before hand I would not have bought it.

Interesting that you had the Powerfly. As I was looking at the Powerfly FS alongside the Orbea Wild, and in the end I choose the Orbea mainly due to its higher spec.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just do everything you can to confirm the bike is the right one for you. Confirm the geometry of a bike that you know fits you well and compare it with the target bike. Read reviews. Go up to riders on the trail that are riding the target bike and express interest in their bike, tell them about your dilemma and ask if you can sit on it to check size. Sit on bikes in the shop if you can find any. Then take the plunge!

If the bike turns out not to be a perfect fit, be aware that there are many small adjustments that can be made to improve the fit.

Aikone

May 28, 2021
UK
I’ve counted back the last 5 I’ve bought and I rode none before purchasing, I’ve deliberated over sizing and geometry comparing with bikes I’ve already owned as I can ride either ML or L, I’ve been happy with them all so far.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Every bike I've bought in the last ten years bar one I've taken a punt on. It's worked out every time apart from my sparkly brand new freshy (which happens to be for sale on here right now, do grab yourself an absolute bargain) And one of those I built from scratch,. My advice is if you can't swing a leg over the thing, then work out a few measurements, have a think, take in some reviews & generally, you'll be golden.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Bought my Orbea Wild on a parking lot test. Because the reach numbers are relatively short I was a bit worried about it on paper. Didn't feel too short in the parking lot, I was a little anxious about it still. Once I got it, on the trail, I was very glad I didn't get something with more reach. Our trails/my riding style just don't need it.

I did once get a bad bike. I bought a Knolly Endorphin many moons ago and I was in between M and L, I got the M because I wanted playful, but that bike was way too short. I changed cockpit bits trying to get it right, but even with a 70mm stem I often felt like I was about to topple OTB, and I did exactly that a few times too. That was back in the shorter-reach days though, and 27.5. Shame, it was a superb bike in terms of kinematics and build and I'm sure I'd still have it if I'd bought the L frame.

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
I’ve never demo ridden a bike I have ordered. Mainly because it’s never really been possible, because sometimes your expected to leave a deposit (you’ll get back if your order) and finally because demo bikes and loops never really replicate my typical riding. I do however know what I like geometry wise, I know what suspension set ups work well for me and my riding and I also take time to research specification. As an example with my ebike. The Trek rail ticked every single box, however the specifications always lacked right across the range. In the end I plumped for the base model. That has all the geo and motor I want. The rest I am changing to build to my own specification. So forks, brakes, wheels and shock setup.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
It's by no means ideal, but It's not unusual to make a decision based off of reviews, anecdotal reports, and geometry numbers. I've been able to properly demo only one mountain bike and one road bike prior to buying over a span of 30+ years riding. Sometimes it does mean that you end up with a marginal fit or a bike that doesn't work quite like you expected.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Bought my Whyte E150RS totally blind. Had a Cube before but wanted a change. Done a lot of research and joined this forum etc. Tracked one down in a shop 120 miles away exactly what I wanted. This was last year in Covid lockdown I was in Wales bike was in England so I could not go and even look at it before deciding. Never seen one in the flesh before but rang shop put a deposit down to secure it, picked it up six weeks later. Any regrets. NONE. (y) (y)

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
Same experience with my Whyte e-150RS. Did my research online, got lucky the day I called my LBS who had just taken delivery. Went down and had a chat with them and bought on the spot. With the amount of info, reviews and videos online it’s a relatively sound decision. Good luck!

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
Just get a BBS02 and DIY it with a LiitoKala battery. That way, not only have you already tried the bike you'll be riding, it's about 10 times cheaper doing it this way and you can always convert the bike back again if you ever want to.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
For the last 7 years i use 2 shops and i ride daily year round so i am knowned there.
With a 15% deposit the reserved me an Ebike and if i say it does not fit me
they simply give me back my deposit, it will be sold in less than 5 days.
Obviously i know what i want so i am likely to like my order.
With an Ebike i suggest get one from a dealer near you that you can trust.
If you look for affordable and reliable i suggest you look at Giant.

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
I bought mine without trying, just like the look of it 💪 Absolutely love it 😊

4631B186-32A2-48EE-A288-B6D40DF347EB.jpeg

Dec 18, 2019
UK
I've never test rode any bike i've actually bought, since my first MTB in 1987, to the Trail Pistol I ride today. I have a Bullit on order and I haven't test ridden that, but the geometry is virtually identical to my TP, bar the wheelbase being a tad longer, which i've found to be a shortcoming on my current bike.
I did sit on a few eeb's and have test ridden the Whyte and Heckler, but that was mainly to see which motor I preferred for my style of riding. The Bosch was simply too much power that couldn't be adjusted (at that time) and very draggy when it arrived at 15.5mph. The Shimano suited me much better and the Heckler's high Stack and long ETT confirmed the front end was good for a taller rider like myself. However, the smaller front wheel wasn't good and the older spec motor and smaller battery didn't give me the range I was looking for.
So, as per some others' comments, know what geometry fits you best and then test ride the motors - it won't matter which bike manufacturer you ride for this - to find which one suits you and go and buy it.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi everyone.
I'm looking at buying my first ebike and due to the current market shortage I'm struggling to find anything in stock locally.
This has really left me with the choice of demoing and then buying a YT Decoy, or just taking the plunge and buying a Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 Hpc (about £700 cheaper) without even throwing a leg over one.
Many thanks.
Depends how fussy you are. Ive had 14 bikes never ever tried one before i got it. Not been disappointed yet. Lot of them just bought frame .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles