Buy a 540w battery for spare battery or wait for 700w out?!

Beechung

Oct 20, 2019
Bbjacob125
Hi,thinking to buy a spare battery go for a big ride.But do you guys think 700w battery still possible coming out any time soon? Do you think buying spare 540w battery use both battery for some day or just get a 700w battery and that put the 540W always?(be wasted it) I know 540w £539.what about 700w price cost that?

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
Get 2 batteries if you like uplifting yourself on bike parks.

Personally I've not gone below 3 bars yet on mine and I boost everywhere

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I would just get another 540wh. If I’m doing a 2 battery ride, I’m most likely going to be conserving battery.
Get 2 batteries if you like uplifting yourself on bike parks.

Personally I've not gone below 3 bars yet on mine and I boost everywhere
You only doing 30 minute rides?
I can run a battery dry on boost in 1.5 hours.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Anyone here anything on availability for an extra battery or the larger battery? Surprised they're not stocking batteries for sale. Need this. High alpine is starting to melt out

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
YT just got back to me regarding the battery.

20th July 2020 is the in stock date. Here’s the link:

ichauchtt

May 14, 2020
Switzerland
No, still no news. I contacted YT for another issue I had and asked about the battery in the same email, they did not even attempt to answer the question...

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Hi,thinking to buy a spare battery go for a big ride.But do you guys think 700w battery still possible coming out any time soon? Do you think buying spare 540w battery use both battery for some day or just get a 700w battery and that put the 540W always?(be wasted it) I know 540w £539.what about 700w price cost that?
Never act based on rumors. If it does come out what guaranty do you have that it will work in your bike and not just in the new models?

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
I am going to speculate (just a guess) that the delay or inevitable non-release of the 700w battery "may" (100% guess) to do with 2 things:

1) The new EP8 motor (or e9000) coming in 2021. Perhaps the motor has better efficiency which negates the need for a 700w battery (for instance better with a 600 or existing 540 to keep weight down??) .. I am not putting too much stock into this guess

2) Going back a few years, Shimano authorized YT to develop their own internal battery …. since all the Shimano ones were external (back in the development stages a few years ago). Now that Shimano offers internal options, perhaps YT has encountered some licensing issues ? Given Shimano's "proprietary past" .. it would not be surprising if Shimano wanted their own battery in the Decoy (post 2021 onwards) - I think this rumor bears more weight

Just speculation of course ... but the silence on the battery issue is one of the "things that make you go mmmmm" :unsure:

Again my guess is you will see YT develop a "universal bracket" that fits inside the Decoy downtube that will house a Shimano branded battery … Shimano will then control the batteries used on their new motor ... ^^^$$$$ .... battery Wh TBD or chosen by the buyer depending on the range they wish. The "bracket" will be adaptable to different Wh batteries) -

How about a configurable battery pack that lets you add "modules" of batteries .. then you can choose your own size battery (and weight)
again PURE speculation .. so take ALL OF THIS with a grain of salt

I may be waaaayyy out in this guess .. but its fun to speculate :cool:

Last edited:

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I am going to speculate (just a guess) that the delay or inevitable non-release of the 700w battery "may" (100% guess) to do with 2 things:

1) The new EP8 motor (or e9000) coming in 2021. Perhaps the motor has better efficiency which negates the need for a 700w battery (for instance better with a 600 or existing 540 to keep weight down??) .. I am not putting too much stock into this guess

2) Going back a few years, Shimano authorized YT to develop their own internal battery …. since all the Shimano ones were external (back in the development stages a few years ago). Now that Shimano offers internal options, perhaps YT has encountered some licensing issues ? Given Shimano's "proprietary past" .. it would not be surprising if Shimano wanted their own battery in the Decoy (post 2021 onwards) - I think this rumor bears more weight

Just speculation of course ... but the silence on the battery issue is one of the "things that make you go mmmmm" :unsure:

Again my guess is you will see YT develop a "universal bracket" that fits inside the Decoy downtube that will house a Shimano branded battery … Shimano will then control the batteries used on their new motor ... ^^^$$$$ .... battery Wh TBD or chosen by the buyer depending on the range they wish. The "bracket" will be adaptable to different Wh batteries) -

How about a configurable battery pack that lets you add "modules" of batteries .. then you can choose your own size battery (and weight)
again PURE speculation .. so take ALL OF THIS with a grain of salt

I may be waaaayyy out in this guess .. but its fun to speculate :cool:
I cannot speak on behalf of the YT battery, but for specialized their 500 and 700 batteries use a different cell makeup. The one used in the 700 is in high demand as its used in a lot of cars, and thus even specialized cannot get 700s in stock right now. Covid played a huge role with supply issues I’m sure.

I’m guessing YT is experiencing similar lack of availability of material, hence why we are not seeing the batteries.

*This is just paraphrasing what I heard and understood, but it came from more than one reliable source.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Have they actually announced that they will come out with a 700 W battery or is this just speculation? Personally I find the 504 W battery to be plenty for most of my rides. If anything I think I would rather have a supplemental battery for long rides like specialized offers.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
If you have a bike with a 500wh battery, then get a second one. Most rides you do will not need the extra large battery, and you will benefit from having a lighter bike. If you plan on doing a big adventure, then pack the second battery in your backpack. Most importantly, the 700wh battery most probably won't fit in the same space as the 500wh battery without modifications to the battery holder. With Bosch batterys that is the case. You can convert your bike to fit 500 or 625, but it is not something you can do on the trail. So 2 x 500 is definitely the better option.

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
If you do downhill runs the battery depletes fast when going up big hills to repeat a downhill course. 700wh is minimum I think for this. 540w for trail likely be fine.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I have been using two batteries on longer rides and strongly recomend this set up. Just leave one at home and save weight if you do not it on this ride. May also hide one and pick it on the way back. Also leave one charging at the bar nearby... there are many advantages on riding with two batteries.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Last ride I did, I managed about 42 km and approximately 1000hm and had 38% battery left. With 700 battery I can go so far I think I actually have to switch to higher assistance because my fitness will then be limited they way I ride now.... Actually would prefer to have a smaller 'get home' battery for emergencies that I could connect to the bike when needed.

Gemini2k

Sep 9, 2019
Normal
If you do downhill runs the battery depletes fast when going up big hills to repeat a downhill course. 700wh is minimum I think for this. 540w for trail likely be fine.

I’ve been able to get 5500 ft of climbing with the 540W battery. I’m a little over 200 lbs.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Shimano new battery is 630wh, and Decoy is 540, so waiting for the 700wh batter (if they ever ever come up with it) would be worth it, but honestly, a fully charged 540 gets you one heck of a ride!

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
With eco low at 200 lb rider weight the best I’ve ever gotten is 6,200 ft but I often run out in the 5,000 ft range if I use any trail (at medium). Would really like to get vert up to 7,500 ft with trail mode mixed in sparingly.

Boros

Jul 6, 2020
Romania
YT response on 700WH battery, on 06.07.2020:

"At the moment we are still finalizing the 700Wh battery, and planning to release it later this year. Unfortunately, I cannot give you any more precise information at this time, but we will be updating customers through our newsletter and on social media once the battery is available."

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
YT response on 700WH battery, on 06.07.2020:

"At the moment we are still finalizing the 700Wh battery, and planning to release it later this year. Unfortunately, I cannot give you any more precise information at this time, but we will be updating customers through our newsletter and on social media once the battery is available."
They also promised the owners of a Decoy the 700Wh battery at reduced cost at the time I got the 2019 model. Curious if they will keep their promise?!

Boros

Jul 6, 2020
Romania
They also promised the owners of a Decoy the 700Wh battery at reduced cost at the time I got the 2019 model. Curious if they will keep their promise?!
I hope so. The 540Wh battery is 699€in europe. If it is maximal between 699-900€ it will be somewhat acceptabel. Let's see.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
They definitely should use shimano batteries. Not sure why they'd want to make their own batteries. It does them and the customer no good in the end.
I anticipate a problem where shimano blames the battery if theres a problem and yt sends you to deal with shimano if theres a problem. The logistics of getting the 2 to communicate doesnt seem that fluid in my experience.
If you do have to warramtee the motor and/or computer will you have to have yt set the computer to their battery after the warrantee motor/computer replacement?
If you travel/fly with your bike i think it'd be far easier to rent a shimano battery on your vacation , especially seeing the yt battery stock thus far

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles