Bullit battery range

Aug 17, 2020
portugal
I’m absolutely loving the Bullit ride, however very disappointed with the battery range. Probably is just a question with my usage and learning curve, so would like to have some info from more experienced riders.

I’m 71kg and on my 3rd ride, with a fully charged battery and most of the use in Eco, was possible to make only 31 km, with 1300m climbing, in 2 hours. I used the profile 1, the temperature around 19C, little wet, but not much. In the same trails and similar conditions, other bikes are achieving normally more then 40km, even with the E8000 with 500wh battery.

In other ride also runner out of juice after 50km, 933m climb, but with really great conditions and 30kms flat, only with ECO.

Can you share your experiences in range with the Bullit, since mine looks like below expectations. Or some tips on what are you doing in settings and charging to improve that.

Expectations, based on other ebikers and my experience with non assisted bikes in the same place. Normally was riding there a Santacruz Nomad4, making 25km and 1000climb for average ride

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
On my Heckler I put Eco in the Medium
Setting and Trail and Boost in the Low settings.
It gives you much more range.
I rode Afan on Sumday, I got 27 miles, 2900 feet and the ride was 3.5 hours. I still had 37% left.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I love the bullit, would really like one. But this does put doubt on it for me.

there’s another thread with a guy disappointed with range and he too turned down the assistance.

he seemed happy with it after that ?? Also put the settings up so maybe worth a search

but doesn’t that defeat the purpose of it? Maybe it’s not too noticeable but if you have to turn the power down on a full fat heavy bike,might as well go lightweight like the rise or sl?

that said I’d still love one along side my levo for rides when range isn’t an issue

Last edited:

Tim Jewitt

Oct 9, 2020
Exeter
Assist settings out of the box were ridiculous on mine. Eco hardly any different to boost. Since winding it down I've had 5500ft over 20-miles from it, which I'd never have gotten from my previous E8000/500wh bike.

hecklermx

Apr 5, 2021
SF Bay Area
Here are my personal settings for my Heckler MX under "Profile 2":

- ECO mode: increased the torque to 34Nm
- TRAIL mode: decreased the torque to 78Nm
- BOOST mode: decreased the assist character to Lv. 8

I get great range...recently did 13 miles and 3,028 ft elevation gain with two bars left.

Richwall

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
first thing i did was ditch the Assegai for a Minion Dhf Exo+ which rolls much better giving better range. Also dial down the settings with the E-TUBE app they are far too high in stock trim. After these slight changes im getting much better range. See attached pics of settings.

B4443650-0858-442E-9966-53EDE93D4153.png

A1EC8AFA-EDD1-475B-8066-DDFB20AD7D2A.png

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
first thing i did was ditch the Assegai for a Minion Dhf Exo+ which rolls much better giving better range. Also dial down the settings with the E-TUBE app they are far too high in stock trim. After these slight changes im getting much better range. See attached pics of settings.
Just to confirm these settings give good distance/height gain. I’ve got very similar settings to Richwall and also swapped out to the DHF which rolls way better.

Now I’m finishing a straightforward red route type ride (36km, 600m, Dalby) with 33% battery (as reported STRide) in the same time (about 1hr 50m) for same perceived effort as my previous Turbo Levo (stock settings) with 3 bars left (is that 30%?) on the Levo’s TCU. I think I’m going faster downwards to account for this result.

I’d add that generally those last 3 bars on the Levo will get you a few of km further than the 33% on the Bullit with the Levo settings stock and the Bullit‘s as above. I don’t know if that’s because the Shimano battery protection circuit is more conservative than that on the Specialized battery? Does anybody know if that’s a thing?

Last edited:

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
I used the profile 1 settings yesterday for a 44km ride. I did 3780ft of climbing and was mostly in trail and the battery died at 39km. I found the standard settings a little overkill so will make some tweaks . I'm 230lbs kitted up.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
I used the profile 1 settings yesterday for a 44km ride. I did 3780ft of climbing and was mostly in trail and the battery died at 39km. I found the standard settings a little overkill so will make some tweaks . I'm 230lbs kitted up.
Recently bought a second battery. This gave me a chance to see how far I’d get on one battery at a place I know well and at which I’m consistent. In the same conditions (mainly Eco mode, weather, tyres etc) as my earlier post, but carrying the extra battery in a bigger pack (weight), it packed in at 46m second time round the Dalby Red in U.K.

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
Recently bought a second battery. This gave me a chance to see how far I’d get on one battery at a place I know well and at which I’m consistent. In the same conditions (mainly Eco mode, weather, tyres etc) as my earlier post, but carrying the extra battery in a bigger pack (weight), it packed in at 46m second time round the Dalby Red in U.K.
I think the range on the bullit is brilliant for factory settings, it depends entirely on how much you demand from it. Some slight tweeks in the app will increase the range. I've come from a levo SL so I'm use to have max 35nm . I've adjusted the Bullit to offer same output in eco/trail as levo SL and lowered boost drastically as I dont really need it. I'll be doing The Beast again at the end of the month to test the range. I'm expecting to have around 40% left after 40km.

righton

Apr 8, 2020
USA
i have a bullit coming in this week, i hope i won't be disappointed with the battery range. i have a 20 kenevo and 20 levo right now and can get about 18 miles in eco/trail (factory settings) about 2500 ft climb and have about 2 bars left in my 500 battery.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
i have a bullit coming in this week, i hope i won't be disappointed with the battery range. i have a 20 kenevo and 20 levo right now and can get about 18 miles in eco/trail (factory settings) about 2500 ft climb and have about 2 bars left in my 500 battery.
You’ll not be far off with those numbers on a Bullit - a guess, obviously, like all my opinions ?.
I predict 3 differences from your 2 old bikes. My confidence in doing so is because I had a 2020 levo before the Bullit and have ridden extensively on both over the same trails in the same conditions.
1. As you know, the battery has 100Kw/hr less. So less energy. So, less kilometres within it, all other things being equal. We’re all other things equal, you’ll probably have your battery used up completely on the same trip.
2. The Bullit has much more sticky tyres than the stock Levos you’re buying. I realise being 2020, they may have different rubber, but I’m going to assume you rode stock 2020 Specialized Levo rubber. When I got my Bullit (a sudden purchase ‘cos it was there?), I did a timed rolling test (repeated a few times) down a fine gravel slope on these bikes (Levo vs Bullit). The drag on the Bullit, judged as when coming to rest all things being equal, is about 30% more (stopped 30% sooner from same start speed from same start point on same slope, same person, same total weight, same dry conditions, not peddling, no brakes etc etc). I then changed the front Assegai to a DHF MaxGrip on the Bullit (same DH walls, but not MaxTerra like the Bullit stock Assegai ‘cos I couldn’t get one). I repeated my little test and got back those 30% just changing the front. I was surprised, but that’s what I found. So I got back to the Turbo Levo figures pretty much. I couldn’t do this on a Kenevo - didn’t have one. For what it’s worth, the rolling resistance “feel’ of these bikes before and after changing the Bullit front felt like the numbers might be correct - but, obvs, that’s too subjective to judge with.
3. You’ll have to tweek the motor settings on the Bullit from stock using the UTube app or the STUnlocker app. On stock settings, the Levo and the EP8 are completely different animals and should not be compared. The Brose is a bit of a beast which some love, but it lacks the sophistication of the newer EP8. Each motor is setup stock with all that in mind. What you’ll need to do is simply rid yourself of trying to recreate the Levo/Kenevo. They’re very different. Once you have the Bullit dialed in, as set out in a post above and many others here and on FaceBook, you’ll have turned down a few things.

The Bullit is a more sophisticated frame than the Levo (queue the ranters ???) that will allow you to extend your riding - of whatever type - beyond what you were achieving on the Levo/Kenevo.

Some have reported that they find the Bullit harder to ride. Assuming a correct frame size and suspension setup (and many think, incorrectly, that they know how to do that) the reason for feeling it’s a bit hard to ride could be that the Bullit has exposed the limitations of a rider’s skills….

I’m no suspension guru, so I’ve always taken advice setting up my bike’s suspension; for the Levo and the Bullit and the rest. Also, as soon as I started on the Bullit, I realised two things. Firstly that I’d made the correct choice.

And second I needed an upgrade. I needed to upgrade myself. I got a couple of coaching sessions on it and now I can’t imagine wanting to ride anything else except my very different Ti 456 OnOne hardtail with an old Fox coil up-front ?

Last edited:

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
The range depends on several factors. I personally wouldn't rush to change the front out, go ride, go faster than you've ever been before and make use of that maxxgrip front end. The bullit will truly come to life when things get fast and ruff. The more skill you have, the more rewarding the bullit will be.

Default profile I can get to the top of BPW beast of burden 7x
If I dial down the power in profile 2, I can get 12 x

A casual ride with mates mostly flat I can get 50km in trail/eco and I'm 16stone where a mate on the same motor (merida) gets 60+ at 12stone.

Make sure you dial the suspension in and restrict any bobbing , that has an impact too.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
The range depends on several factors. I personally wouldn't rush to change the front out, go ride, go faster than you've ever been before and make use of that maxxgrip front end. The bullit will truly come to life when things get fast and ruff. The more skill you have, the more rewarding the bullit will be.

Default profile I can get to the top of BPW beast of burden 7x
If I dial down the power in profile 2, I can get 12 x

A casual ride with mates mostly flat I can get 50km in trail/eco and I'm 16stone where a mate on the same motor (merida) gets 60+ at 12stone.

Make sure you dial the suspension in and restrict any bobbing , that has an impact too.
Agreed completely! Ride more and ponder less - there’s not much time spare for anything else ?
The bit about the tyre up front is exactly as you say.
I only changed it after 2 months because:
a) I needed a to get to 40 miles with 3000 to 4000 ft on our trails and be certain I could still get back (I’m old and arthritic and like the idea I won’t have a big zero assist end to a long ride). I don’t know your trails, so can’t compare.
And b) because I ’ll never need that the full extent of the phenomenal grip the pro-racers exploit so well (I wasn’t good enough?).
Also, there is the issue of pushing the Assegai to the limit - can many people actually do that, or are they being limited by other factors (I did mention coaching)?
You’re right though, feeling secure is a joy and the Assegai will do that for everybody.
I’m nearly ready to put the Assegai back on.
That’s a) because I have a second battery now for when I need the range (???)
b) because I occasionally reach the limit of the DHF now I’ve got to grips with the Bullit’s extraordinary potential and falling off when you’re a bit brittle can be the type of cracking ride that’s not a lot of fun?
c) the weather’s changed.

righton

Apr 8, 2020
USA
cool, thanks for all the data you shared. not too worried about the battery, but something i never thought of until i read these posts. as for tires, my preference is magic mary. so i'll probably switch it out. i have mt7, x2 and fox38 waiting for the bullit to come. i'll ride it stock once, so i will know how it feels. then it's off to the shop to get all the goodies installed. i couldn't get anything else other than the lowest build. that's the only one available. oh i am also in between size L and XL (6'1 200 lbs) - i sized up to XL.

not getting rid of my kenevo, i love it. i got it to where it handle how i want it. very playful and capable. my levo, not so much. it is a back up bike and will be up for sale once the bullit comes.

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
cool, thanks for all the data you shared. not too worried about the battery, but something i never thought of until i read these posts. as for tires, my preference is magic mary. so i'll probably switch it out. i have mt7, x2 and fox38 waiting for the bullit to come. i'll ride it stock once, so i will know how it feels. then it's off to the shop to get all the goodies installed. i couldn't get anything else other than the lowest build. that's the only one available. oh i am also in between size L and XL (6'1 200 lbs) - i sized up to XL.

not getting rid of my kenevo, i love it. i got it to where it handle how i want it. very playful and capable. my levo, not so much. it is a back up bike and will be up for sale once the bullit comes.
I am same weight and height as you and went with XL, reach is a little longer than the levo by 30mm but, the L felt cramped . I've been to revs countless times recently (addicted) and super happy with the XL and room to move around.

I have the 21 x2 on rear and went 180 fox 38 upfront, give me a shout if you want some dialed settings for it ?( back end is like butter and poppy)

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
i have mt7, x2 and fox38 waiting for the bullit to come….
….oh i am also in between size L and XL (6'1 200 lbs) - i sized up to XL.
I am same weight and height as you and went with XL, reach is a little longer than the levo by 30mm but, the L felt cramped . I've been to revs countless times recently (addicted) and super happy with the XL and room to move around.
I have the 21 x2 on rear and went 180 fox 38 upfront, give me a shout if you want some dialed settings for it ?( back end is like butter and poppy)
Yup MT’s is a great upgrade that I took immediately off my Levo onto the Bullit. I did put a 230 disk on the front which I don’t regret.
I’m 6’1” as well and tried L and XL: chose XL for the same reasons - I’m really happy I went for the XL.
Havent taken the sled to revs - yet… looking forward to that ?

Bac

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
Not sure why, but I'm getting very similar distance and elevation (same trails, same mode, etc) on the Bullit as I was getting on my old Heckler! I would have thought I should be able to get around 16% more?

Screenshot_20211010-132826_Fitbit.jpg

Screenshot_20211010-132820_Fitbit.jpg

Screenshot_20211010-132727_Fitbit.jpg

Screenshot_20211010-193932_Fitbit.jpg

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
Yup MT’s is a great upgrade that I took immediately off my Levo onto the Bullit. I did put a 230 disk on the front which I don’t regret.
I’m 6’1” as well and tried L and XL: chose XL for the same reasons - I’m really happy I went for the XL.
Havent taken the sled to revs - yet… looking forward to that ?
100% take it to revs, it just ploughs through.

Bac

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
More power, more weight, heavier gripper tyres?
Shouldn't be any more weight. Tyres, I ditched the Maxxis for Michelins which roll easier. Weird thing is, I can tow my boy 8YO on his Norco with the Bullit and still get the same distance/elevation... 4 runs

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles