Breaking spokes!

baydoh

Dec 22, 2020
Australia
I got a 2021 Trek Rail and I have busted two rear spokes, the bike is only 4 months old. I had the first one fixed when I got the first service done but now I had another one break today. Both times they have broken when I have been going up a fire road. Should this be a warranty issue or do you think its just unlucky???

Andorranik

May 14, 2021
Europe
Hi I have a Trek rail also and just installed the 4th replacement spoke.....drive side on rear every time. I have the carbon wheels and aparently it is common.

cep32

Jun 23, 2020
New Zealand
I've always found that once one spoke breaks (without it being caused by impact directly to the spoke) then it's usually followed by another one every few days to a week after that. The only way I've managed to sort it is to get in early, before the rim gets out of shape and get the wheel totally rebuilt using the best (usually DT Swiss Alpine 3) spokes I can afford at the time and brass nipples. Then I seem to be able to forget about the wheel for years at a time. For reference, I'm 120kg.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Once a spoke has broke, best practice is to get the wheel rebuilt as it will mess the other spokes tension about. at very least they should slacken them all off, replace spoke then re-tighten all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles