Bottle Cages 2021 Rail 9

SAF

Aug 23, 2020
Cairns,QLD, Australia
i have a new 2021 Rail 9 and find with the new rear shock that it hits the bottle while in the cage.If cage is move up bottle wont fit, anyone else have a solution????

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
What size Rail do you have? Have you tried a side-load bottle cage? Or the fidlock bottle could be a good option.
otherwise you might have to ride with a hydration pack, I ride with a hip pack HIP PACK PRO 3l - EVOC - PROTECTIVE SPORTS PACKS
If you like the fidlock idea but you just can't fit a bottle in, you could use the uni base and fit it to your top tube or the underside of your down tube, also check out this thread Which bottle cage Trek Rail - EMTB Forums
hope this helps

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
From within the thread @Philly G has given...

And another option from the same user on a medium bike .. (rail 7)

SAF

Aug 23, 2020
Cairns,QLD, Australia
What size Rail do you have? Have you tried a side-load bottle cage? Or the fidlock bottle could be a good option.
otherwise you might have to ride with a hydration pack, I ride with a hip pack HIP PACK PRO 3l - EVOC - PROTECTIVE SPORTS PACKS
If you like the fidlock idea but you just can't fit a bottle in, you could use the uni base and fit it to your top tube or the underside of your down tube, also check out this thread Which bottle cage Trek Rail - EMTB Forums
hope this helps
i have a large Rail 9 have tried side loaders etc but the bottle itself keeps getting hit by the canister on the shock,will follow up the other links you provided

Tomroy

Aug 18, 2020
Australia
i have a large Rail 9 have tried side loaders etc but the bottle itself keeps getting hit by the canister on the shock,will follow up the other links you provided
I have a medium rail 2021 and have a bontrager side load cage with it pushed all the way up. An old camel back podium 620ml bottle squeezes in but rubs on frame, so i put some tape on to protect the paint. A fly 550ml bottle fits with clearance, so it should have ample room on a large frame.

SAF

Aug 23, 2020
Cairns,QLD, Australia
I have a medium rail 2021 and have a bontrager side load cage with it pushed all the way up. An old camel back podium 620ml bottle squeezes in but rubs on frame, so i put some tape on to protect the paint. A fly 550ml bottle fits with clearance, so it should have ample room on a large frame.
What model do you have ,, the shock in the 2021 Rail nine has the external can on the front and this is what hits the bottle

Tomroy

Aug 18, 2020
Australia
What model do you have ,, the shock in the 2021 Rail nine has the external can on the front and this is what hits the bottle
I have the 2021 rail 9 in medium. I filed the slots a little more on the cage and have it pushed up as close to the front of the bike as i can get it.
Or you could try the wolftooth bottle shift, it pushes the bottle out slightly to the side and at an angle.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
Did we ever find a solution to this ?, i have a 9.9 with the shock canister facing the front of the bike so it hits the bottom of the bottle, i even tried a 500ml bottle and put the cage at the top and it still hits the shock canister !

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
Making progress....

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 10.41.10.png

baydoh

Dec 22, 2020
Australia
i have a new 2021 Rail 9 and find with the new rear shock that it hits the bottle while in the cage.If cage is move up bottle wont fit, anyone else have a solution????
I have a mate that works for Trek and he suggested to get a Wolfe Tooth B-Rad Bottle Shift and get a left-hand Bontreger side load cage accompanied by a 450ml bottle. I have just purchased one and are waiting for it to arrive for my 9

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
I have just completed my design and it will take a 500ml (I reckon a 550 would fit) side loaded and won't require a bottle shift. I already have a side load bontrager, got that when I got the bike assuming it would fit. Sadly not. I will post some pics once I have my design on the bike. I have nice clearance top and bottom even with the 9 series shock cannister at the front.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
pretty happy with that, even got the Trek logo on the top ! :) , loads of clearance and doesn't stick out to one side.

the bottle seems nice and tight, but can tweak some areas if i need to make it hold tighter following some rough terrain testing, but i am pretty sure its good to go. Not sure why Trek/Bontrager don't make one that fits, but anyway one exists now.

20201222_165529.jpg

20201222_170001.jpg

pretty happy with that, even got the Trek logo on the top ! :) , loads of clearance and doesn't stick out to one side.

the bottle seems nice and tight, but can tweak some areas if i need to make it hold tighter following some rough terrain testing, but i am pretty sure its good to go. Not sure why Trek/Bontrager don't make one that fits, but anyway one exists now.

View attachment 47899
Hi Link, Do plan to sell the holder and or plans?

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
Hey, Not really thought about it but assuming I am not breaking any forum rules ? I am happy to offer them (have a range of colours too) ??.0

baydoh

Dec 22, 2020
Australia
Just received my Wolf Tooth Bottle Shift accompanied with a bontrager left-side entry cage and a small bottle. Works great !

20201229_163252.jpg

Karve

Subscriber
Jan 12, 2021
UK
The worst case scenario for getting a bottle to fit appears to be a size medium or below with a Super Deluxe piggyback shock ( rail 9, 9.8, 9.9 - 2021).

Link - are you on a medium or a large?

I have a medium 9.9 2021. The Wolf Tooth Bottle Shift looks ok as an option, but interested to know if anyone has found another way of doing it before I go down that route?

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
i have a medium and never found something that worked well and hence made my own, i didn't like the bottle shift as it looked odd having it hung to one side.

Karve

Subscriber
Jan 12, 2021
UK
i have a medium and never found something that worked well and hence made my own, i didn't like the bottle shift as it looked odd having it hung to one side.

Yea it a slick design!

Are you selling - how much?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
This may not be the solution since I don have the canister shock but the shape of the water bottle may have some clearance issues. This is a 620ml/21oz bottle. It seems to be tapered more towards the top. Medium 9.7 Rail.

16437D4A-9C0A-4D46-9EA3-AEC8B4E70FB9.jpeg

EMTB!

May 22, 2020
Eagle, Idaho
I use the Fidlock mount with a YT bottle and used a heat gun to mold a dent in the bottom of the bottle where it was hitting. Problem solved.

Bike is size L

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
On the Rail 9 and above , it was hard to get a bottle cage to fit in the 2020 medium, on the 2021 with the bigger canister it's almost impossible ☹

Esef

Dec 29, 2021
Czech Republic
Hi, I also have the 2021 Trek Rail 9, size Medium, and its impossible to find a bottle which would fit there due to the shock contact. I have the Bontrager bittle cage with side insert, but I feel like there is no bottle which will fit. My latest test was with 450ml bottle and there is still the contact.
Any tips for a bottle in the M sized frame?

Esef

Dec 29, 2021
Czech Republic
Hi, I just bought two bottles, which fits well size M and S. One is Zefal Sense PRO 50, where on my size M is like 2-3cm of space left, so it will fit size S without touching something. Another one is ELITE FLY 0.55 l, which fits my size M too and there is like 1cm of space left, so puting it in and out is without any problem. For the cage I use Bontrager Left Side Load (code 5274463).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles