Bosch Profile Tuning?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I have a 2021 Mondraker Crafty with Bosch Performance CX + Kiox. I realize there's no tuning available via the display or in the app. Wondering if there's anything you can do with dealer tools? In particular I'd like to reduce what we call the "Acceleration Response" on Levo motors, or "Assist characteristic at the start" on Shimano.

Thanks for looking.

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
The only that can being done is having the dealer install certain modes. On the other hand, I believe (is the only one) the Nyon controller give the option to tweak the profile.

But IMO, though I do wish we did have the option to make tweaks using the Kiox controller, but in time I have learn to appreciate the simplicity of the Bosch system. I usually flip between two modes (Tour+ & eMTB) while riding, but still focusing on gearing chooses while navigating the terrain.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Nion only lets you modify the assist amount. I have heard the dealer can install other modes but I want to change a specific setting :( Simple or not, the acceleration response is way to high. Think about bobbling on a really steep climb and needing to start again. In that situation the bike puts out too much power too fast. Other motors allow you to change it.

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
What you're describing sounds like the "Extended Boost" doing its job.
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 9.28.51 AM.png

Which is something to get use too, I generally I start in lower mode depending where I'm riding. The only time I find the system over powering is when going downhill and I can't feel pedal resistances (if that makes sense), so I will switch to off.

Do you know which mode is installed, maybe ask your dealer to switch it to one that feels natural for you. Both Tour+ & eMTB-Lite are similar, but IMO Tour+ feels more natural, but still offers the punch of eMTB-lite. While eMTB, doesn't have Extended Boost pedal. And Sports, is non-variable power mode.

Here's a short list of the modes (Newer to older):
Tour+
eMTB-Lite
eMTB
Sports

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Good point, "bobbling" was the wrong word. I meant "stopping". So, starting on a steep hill from a dead stop. The initial acceleration is too high. I realize some people like this feeling but I *do not*. On the other hand, I want maximum assist and multiplier, just not the acceleration boost.

I can see how extended boost would be triggered in that situation; if you bobble the pedals while getting started, it will be perceived as a jab to get over some obstacle.

I realize I could start in a lower mode and then switch to boost once I get going, but this is easier said than done on a steep hill and with the terrible ergonomics of the Bosch remote :)

With Brose (Specialized) and Shimano I could change all these settings in their respective apps and, most importantly, get both bikes to behave pretty much the same.

All my firmware versions are out of date so it's possible I just have some old bugs too. Need to get them updated.

Thanks for the list of extra modes. Any chance there are docs to explain what each one does?

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
Officially no, not that I know. But from what I do know and what you’re describing sounds like you have either of of the newer mode, Tour+ (Magic Tour) or eMTB-Lite. Both of those modes have Pedal Boost feature. I can’t remember, if the eMTB had it in previous firmware.

This might be confusing, but I’m listing four different firmwares. Where each one had parts of their modes were different.
1. Tour+ (Magic Tour)= 60% - 340% (85nM)
2. eMTB Lite= 140% - 240% (85nM)
3. eMTB= 120% - 300% (75nM)
4. Sport= 200% (75nM) est.

Also attaching an image of the firmware option (which is missing the Tour+ mode). The chart doesn’t explain much, since Bosch has copy & paste text for each description. This is what the dealer will see before they update the bike.

EA33279C-A248-48B8-B00F-550A1E5D66CC.jpeg

I do suggest trying the standard eMTB mode (still dynamic, but not as punchy as the newer modes) or maybe the Sports (for a static level of power).

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles