Bosch gen 4 29" emtb vs 27.5" emtb

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Bosch have made various adjustments to the modes between the two versions you have . My bike was delivered with v1.1 firmware and was quite abrupt on startup which made it quite tricky to start on steep loose terrain. I had the firmware updated and this definitely toned down the initial startup power and made it easier to get going without wheelspin on steep stuff.

I'd guess it's this difference in firmware versions you're feeling,rather than something due to wheelsize differences.

xxxnutz

May 8, 2021
West Sussex
Bosch have made various adjustments to the modes between the two versions you have . Mine started on v1.1 and was quite abrupt on startup which made it quite tricky to start on steep loose terrain. I had the firmware updated and this definitely toned down the initial startup power and made it easier to get going without wheelspin on steep stuff.

I'd guess it's this difference in firmware versions you're feeling,rather than something due to wheelsize differences.

This is the sort of answer I am looking for, and best reply to the question that I've ask so far.

yes the start up power is a lot weaker/slower on my 29" with 1.1.5.0 but also feels slighty less powerful but I think i can put that down to being a bigger wheel size and different gearing

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
my bike is on 1.1.5.0 and is 27.5 and power delivery is not immediate so as a bove it could be firmware related. It could also be the difference in freehub engagement and rear suspension kinematics on each of your bikes. A bike with more compliant rear end design will absorb a degree of the initial toque you apply to the crank compared to a design with greater pedal efficiency.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
What bikes are these ?.
TBH 1/2 second is absolutly nothing to write home to mama about. I'm surprised you're even bothered about it. In the real world application it means nothing.

xxxnutz

May 8, 2021
West Sussex
1/2 second is big difference. It's the difference of me slamming the pedals to lift for a wheelie or having to pedal 1st before the host, you can really feel the difference if you stab the peddles (briefly apply pressure to the peddles from rest position)

xxxnutz

May 8, 2021
West Sussex
my bike is on 1.1.5.0 and is 27.5 and power delivery is not immediate so as a bove it could be firmware related. It could also be the difference in freehub engagement and rear suspension kinematics on each of your bikes. A bike with more compliant rear end design will absorb a degree of the initial toque you apply to the crank compared to a design with greater pedal efficiency.
My conclusion is the firmware after speaking to various people

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I'd avoid 'stabbing at the pedals' you'll shag the internal gears of the motor. Many are only nylon plastic. Not up to that level of abuse for long.
So which bikes are these ?, i ask this as theres bound to be a difference in weight, which might account for any differences.

xxxnutz

May 8, 2021
West Sussex
I'd avoid 'stabbing at the pedals' you'll shag the internal gears of the motor. Many are only nylon plastic. Not up to that level of abuse for long.
So which bikes are these ?, i ask this as theres bound to be a difference in weight, which might account for any differences.

Sorry maybe my choice of wording was bad, i mean sudden applying of pressures from 0 cadence rather than being already at a low cadence and then applying more pedal pressure, it's 2 differner techniques of getting the front wheel off the ground never of which will damage the bosch motor as the nylon gears will be high ratio gears.

The 2 bikes are a Decathalon Stilus and Orbea Wild, the conclusion is since the 1.1.0.0 firmware they have dailed down the start up assist of the motor compared to the 1.1.5.0 firmware meaning i have to employ a different technique for peddling the front up. The 1.1.5.0 does make the bike feel less lively but I think thats down to the bigger wheel size and different gearing

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
👍
I find this thread interesting because im clueless to all this firmware stuff. But I find that there are many time I too have problems lifting the front in anything other than turbo.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles