Blinging out my Rail 9.8 - Secus + Flites + Magura MT7's (install/riding notes)

RowanTheKiwi

Feb 8, 2021
New Zealand
Alright so jumped 2 feet into the deep end upgrading my rail. Had it for 4 months, put 1300km on it so it's not a garage queen :)

First off got rid of the Bonty standard comp line rims - one of the rim strips was clicking and pretty sure play/flex was creeping into the rear hub - cranking on one side pedal stroke it would rub the brake disc. Well that's my excuse and sticking with it. Got a set of beautiful Wheelworks (NZ company) Flites w Hope hubs. Main performance upgrade here was going out to 35mm which flattens the profile of the tyre - so in theory, and visually, increasing contact patch. Did I notice? maybe.. certainly felt like more grip was there. Between the rims and the eddy's you can feel dirt getting torn up underneath you under hard braking :)

The warranty on the Flites is fantastic, they're a set of wheels for life. Interestingly even though they're Carbon, I didn't get my weight-weenie on and weigh them, ebikes will do that to you :) Previously I could tell you the exact weight difference before/after.

Oh and it looks awessssome... the deeper rim and wider profile looks burly. Changing tyres is now a breeze. The Eddy's were a PITA on the stock rims, taking quite a bit of work to get on, on the Flites took all of a couple of minutes each. Even easier than DT Swiss.

TrekRail3.jpg

Next up was the Magura MT7's - 220 MDR-p front, 203 rear

The reviews and hype train holds up - the front one's power is noticeably more than stock - I was running stock SLX's with metal pads. And you get much better modulation, said another way when you're braking on the limit you have more feel between 'front end locking and washing out' and 'i'm in control'. Much like race car's race brakes, they are noisier and less refined - the front for sure you get a warble at low speed/hard braking. It doesn't take much effort to get the rear end off the ground :) I noticed my first proper steep DH track today I just had a lot more confidence going down it. So thumbs up on that upgrade.

Finally put a new Fizik saddle on. Don't know how but I broke one of the rails on the stock saddle. Regardless the Fizik is way, way more comfy.. should have put that on from day 1.

Install notes:

You need a different post mount for the front if you go 220m (Magura has one), and the shiftmix to mount the shifter on (or another ispec clamp). If it's not clear on websites they *do* come with pads already. I was unclear and got some race pads which will be pretty exciting to try.

You can't re-use existing brake lines, so you need to thread in the rear one underneath the motor - installation was pretty easy, the only special tool is a T40 torx to remove the motor. I played it safe and used blue locktite reinstalling the motor bolts. Take a photo so you can refer to which way the wires go and sit around the motor.

When bleeding I didn't get any dreaded bleeding issues like some people do - worked first try. Be very deliberate about trying to get air out of the rear caliper, you will get tonnes of air in the system because you have to cut lines. So have the rear caliper hanging loose and bleed it in various positions (eg hose end up, hose end down etc). At one point I found the magic spot and bubbles kept coming and coming... I probably cycled the fluid 15 times. Much more than the 3 they say to start with.

I did have to use a rotor truing tool as the front one came slightly out.

Still have to sort the birds nest of cables. Next time :)

Now, to fit the Secus...
(this is what happens when you get your best bike ever in 3 decades!)

John B

Nov 25, 2020
Folkestone
I have the exact same brake set up as yours and I have to say it’s epic. The power they provide defiantly makes you more confident!

I’m with you on the upgrading side too. The only original bits left on my Rail 9.8 is the frame and forks (I think)

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
I have the same brakes on mine.
I couldn't stand the yellow plastic rings, so 3D printed some. But i keep losing the rear's.
My disk are not straight too. I try to true them, but it's not easy.
The front as not to much power and comes to close to the handlebar. I think it needs a bleed. What tools are neeeded ? (i only used shimano for years, after some marta SL back in the day...)

RowanTheKiwi

Feb 8, 2021
New Zealand
The front as not to much power and comes to close to the handlebar. I think it needs a bleed. What tools are neeeded ? (i only used shimano for years, after some marta SL back in the day...)

Magura has a bleed kit - two syringes, some tube, oil and a nipple for the caliper plus you'll need the 'transport blocks' the brakes came with.

What most intructions say is it's super easy to strip the lever bleed port screw which is rated 0.5nm torque (don't have a torque wrench that low!). So I just twisted between my fingers lightly the a torx socket.

They've got a really good instructional video here :

Yeah and trueing - just take your time with good light.

rsutton1223

Aug 25, 2020
Milton, GA
I have the same brakes on mine.
I couldn't stand the yellow plastic rings, so 3D printed some. But i keep losing the rear's.
My disk are not straight too. I try to true them, but it's not easy.

You can get different color rings straight from Magura. I think I saw them on JensonUSA as well.

RowanTheKiwi

Feb 8, 2021
New Zealand
New toy installed and tested. Vorsprung Secus - does what is advertised and managed to install myself. A lot plusher initially and feels quite a bit different/more supportive. Removed 1 token so ramps just at the end.

DSC_1414.JPG

DSC_1402.JPG

RowanTheKiwi

Feb 8, 2021
New Zealand
@GrandesRoues I'm a sucker for gadgets... basically I heard more supple and went 'sold'.

The breakaway force of the Zeb I find is amazingly good anyway, but this makes that initial feeling better over slightly chattery ground - feels like it's following the ground more. Knocked a few seconds off a 2min downhill run in the pi**ing rain yesterday in Rotorua without trying - felt more planted. On a long downhil run that's got some quite pumpy holes/hard ground my arms were less tired by the time I got to the bottom.

Certainly is a talking point. "What the heck is that?"

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Last edited:

Asnowmobiler

May 1, 2021
Jim Thorpe Pennsylvania
I’m working on installing my M7 pros and wondering where these washers go.
I have the front mocked up and surprised how soft the lever feel is from the factory, hopefully after I bleed them they will be better.

40CF01BF-DD0E-4224-A9E8-F1EE325493DE.jpeg

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
The adapter size is different for the different size rotors. I have 230 front and rear and using Q45 mounts.
I'm pretty sure none of those adapters will let you use a 203mm rotor on a Zeb fork. It's possible that they're meant for that kind of situation.

Karve

Subscriber
Jan 12, 2021
UK
@GrandesRoues I'm a sucker for gadgets... basically I heard more supple and went 'sold'.

The breakaway force of the Zeb I find is amazingly good anyway, but this makes that initial feeling better over slightly chattery ground - feels like it's following the ground more. Knocked a few seconds off a 2min downhill run in the pi**ing rain yesterday in Rotorua without trying - felt more planted. On a long downhil run that's got some quite pumpy holes/hard ground my arms were less tired by the time I got to the bottom.

Certainly is a talking point. "What the heck is that?"

Are you running more pressure with the secus?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles