Bikepacking on an emtb?!

colinstoltzltd

May 11, 2019
The netherlands, Helmond
Howdy!

How are you doing? I was wondering if any of you guys/girls have any experience with bikepacking the emtb?

I own a kenevo expert and I have zero bikepacking experience!

Would love to go on a multiday trip!

I am curious!

Thanks
PicsArt_05-25-06.41.55.jpg

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I am not sure once you are loaded up whether bikepacking is that practical on an EMTB - your max range is probably ~30 miles on a single battery, and you're going to need to find somewhere with power to charge overnight. Bike-glamping maybe.... ;)

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Credit card bike touring? Yes. Into the hinterlands actual bikepacking? Hard to manage with a limited battery range.

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
Difficult with a full suspension bike of any variety.

If you are wanting to do some serious bike packing, forget a full sus emtb.

Get yourself something like a Surly Long Haul Trucker and load it up!

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Awesome! Will check that out. Do you have any experience with a trailer?

No, I don't sorry :) I like the idea of bikepacking, but I've never got around to trying it yet! I came across Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Gear, Tech, News, Advice - CyclingAbout.com when I was looking at gear ratios for a gravel bike and they have some great articles so I keep reading them. A trailer seems like an alternative to bikepacking bags which is an alternative to panniers, depending on your preference and what you want to carry.

I thought I remembered someone crossing really tough terrain using a trailer - but it turns out I was remembering a hiker - something like this: TRAILER : MONOWALKER Fatmate

But if it works for hiking I can also see it working for cycling too. Could certainly fit a big spare battery on a trailer :p

colinstoltzltd

May 11, 2019
The netherlands, Helmond
No, I don't sorry :) I like the idea of bikepacking, but I've never got around to trying it yet! I came across Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Gear, Tech, News, Advice - CyclingAbout.com when I was looking at gear ratios for a gravel bike and they have some great articles so I keep reading them. A trailer seems like an alternative to bikepacking bags which is an alternative to panniers, depending on your preference and what you want to carry.

I thought I remembered someone crossing really tough terrain using a trailer - but it turns out I was remembering a hiker - something like this: TRAILER : MONOWALKER Fatmate

But if it works for hiking I can also see it working for cycling too. Could certainly fit a big spare battery on a trailer :p
How coincidal! I was actually thinking that last night. I was like hey wait a minute.. why not use a trailer?! with a spare battery!

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Problem 1 (easy) - carrying stuff.

I'm happy with stuff on my back. So I find a 25 lt backpack and around 6 lt. saddle bag is enough. Put the heavy stuff in the saddle bag, bulky light stuff in the backpack. For a bivvy and sleeping mat, I'd have to add a bar bag.

Problem 2 (harder) - recharging.

Biggest problem is getting a recharge if you sleep out in the wilderness. I use between 480 and 620Wh on a big day. I cant carry enough spare batteries for two days!

You're going to need to find places to recharge on your way. Pubs, cafes etc are all good options if you ask nicely. Means carrying your charger pack, but I do that on my multi-day long rides without much trouble. Ideally you'd be able to remove your battery and take it in to the establishment to recharge. Much harder to find an outdoor power point where you can leave your bike plugged in....

Plan ahead to find recharge points. Oh, and if your battery has a lock, don't do what I did and realize you've forgotten your key when you're at 10% charge....

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Plan trip from guest house to guest house and each night top up as required. A 2nd battery would also be a good idea

Alternatively go on a reccy and bury fresh batteries along the route.

Wombat Breath

Sep 26, 2023
Western Australia
Howdy!
How are you doing? I was wondering if any of you guys/girls have any experience with bikepacking the emtb?
I own a kenevo expert and I have zero bikepacking experience!
Would love to go on a multiday trip!
I have a Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 (w 750Wh batt) and me+luggage+bike=120-125kg so a practical day range with charging available is 90-100kms so in Holland you could probably stay on Eco and get closer to 120-140. Obviously, going where no charging available means you need to get inventive and visits towns for lunchtime charging etc.
Here in west oz its a great way to see quieter rural areas and we have lots of forests with gravel roads as well as trails.
I find that using an app like RideWithGPS is a great way to plan good routes (using Google maps to find charge locations & accommodation). Here's an overview of my setup... Cheers

Last edited:

michael_bc

Sep 4, 2023
Laax, Switzerland

I have no experience with it but my bike (Focus Thron2) has the possibility to add a rack and hang a bag from your bike.

Where I live (Graubünden, Switzerland), there are charging stations everywhere. There are literally hundreds, many of them at random huts up in the mountains.

This means you could plan an E-mtb trip spanning several days and charge while you grab lunch or take a break.

It would be interesting to know if there are portable solar panels powerful enough to charge an E-mtb.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
I have no experience with it but my bike (Focus Thron2) has the possibility to add a rack and hang a bag from your bike.

Where I live (Graubünden, Switzerland), there are charging stations everywhere. There are literally hundreds, many of them at random huts up in the mountains.

This means you could plan an E-mtb trip spanning several days and charge while you grab lunch or take a break.

It would be interesting to know if there are portable solar panels powerful enough to charge an E-mtb.
I am moving there. Now.

If i was King, I'd insit that all EV charge points being put in for cars also include a normal domestic socket or standardised DC output for charging our bikes. Okay, wont see many of them up a mountain in the UK, but would certinaly give us more options for charging on all-day rides.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
How coincidal! I was actually thinking that last night. I was like hey wait a minute.. why not use a trailer?! with a spare battery!
This is the way I will do it.
BurleySolar2.png

But you need a bike that can use the Burley Coho replacement thru axle. That is why I sold my Rise and bought a CEF50 because it can tow a trailer and the Orbea can not.

BurleySOlar.png

The designer provides files for his 3D printed connectors.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
Me and a mate did a 50 mile round trip overnight down to winspit quarry on the Jurassic coast. Took a trailer with us with tent, bbq food and drink. My 750w bosch had 6% left when we got back. Mate had 2x 500wh batteries. Planning to do it again and wondering if we can hook an alternator up on the trailer to charge a battery?

Could easily do a few days if you invested in some spare batteries

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Difficult with a full suspension bike of any variety.

If you are wanting to do some serious bike packing, forget a full sus emtb.

Get yourself something like a Surly Long Haul Trucker and load it up!
You can totally do it on a full suspension bike.
Kurt Refsnider did the Tour Divide, the Arizona Trail 750, and most recently, the Colorado Trail Race all on full suspension bikes.
1700517114621.png

The biggest challenge is charging the bike, but it depends how remote you go.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing and if I could do it on my Levo SL.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles