Bike rack for 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid

Point Reyes

Aug 10, 2021
Somerset, UK
We just got our Focus Planet bikes and have started thinking about a bike rack. The first thing would be a tow bar and I see they're available but they all say, "not for hybrid". We're not towing anything so that wouldn't apply right?

I'm in the UK.

Many thanks.

Growmac

Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
There are two considerations. First, can the tow bar be physically fitted to the vehicle?

If so, then second is whether the car has a towing weight limit - i.e. is is homologated for towing? If not, then it's legal to have a tow bar but it would be illegal to tow on the public highway. This is the situation I'm in with my Golf. A tow bar mounted bike rack is no problem, but towing would be breaking the law.

Point Reyes

Aug 10, 2021
Somerset, UK
There are two considerations. First, can the tow bar be physically fitted to the vehicle?

If so, then second is whether the car has a towing weight limit - i.e. is is homologated for towing? If not, then it's legal to have a tow bar but it would be illegal to tow on the public highway. This is the situation I'm in with my Golf. A tow bar mounted bike rack is no problem, but towing would be breaking the law.
Thanks, good information. I've been doing more reading since I posted and the Auris Hybrid is not homologated for towing but would be OK for a bike rack if the two e-bikes don't exceed the rack weight limit. There's also something called nose weight I've read about.

Cost wise fitting a towbar and buying a bike rack will be pretty expensive. Probably around £1000 or more. I came across a rack from Germany called PaulChen that can strap to the Auris back hatch and will work for two e-bikes. Its cost would be around £800 I believe. I'm a bit leery on how secure it would be but reviews seen decent.

Anyway, some decisions to be made. Thanks, again, for the insight.

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
I wouldn’t trust anything other than a tow bar mounted bike rack for two heavy ebikes.
I looked into all the options before having our tow bar fitted, it wasn’t cheap but it was worth it for not having to worry at all when transporting them.

Point Reyes

Aug 10, 2021
Somerset, UK
I wouldn’t trust anything other than a tow bar mounted bike rack for two heavy ebikes.
I looked into all the options before having our tow bar fitted, it wasn’t cheap but it was worth it for not having to worry at all when transporting them.
What kind of car do you have?

Maybe not having to look in the rear view mirror constantly would be worth it. Thanks.

Point Reyes

Aug 10, 2021
Somerset, UK
Hyundai i20, we got a detachable tow hook fitted. We can get the gear in the car and the hook, rack and bikes on in under 10 minutes.
Nice. However the Hyundai i20 isn't a hybrid and it's not clear to me if they'll even fit a towbar to my Auris hybrid. I'll have to make some calls.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles