Bike carriers tow for Defender

Sjc501

Sep 24, 2018
Glasgow
Hi Looking for suggestions for a good bike rack to carry 2-3 e-bikes. I have a Landrover defender so needs to clear the spare wheel .

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Do you have the stupid little automatic 50mm ball they do or a hitch receiver? Here in Oz the new Defender comes with a 50mm steel box hitch receiver and I just put a long hitch in there and used my regular Thule rack. That wouldn’t work on the auto 50mm ball though.

MtBkGrl

Aug 18, 2021
East Kootenay British Columbia
I highly recommend the Kuat NV 2.0 rack if you have a real hitch receiver. It is very well made and secure. Rated to 120lbs (55kgs)
Holds our two e-mtbs with very little bounce or wiggle even on dirt roads. Real good clearance to spare tire. The hold down fits over the front wheel and is adjustable from 20" to 29" wheels, so works with any frame. Avoid the racks that grab the frame like the Thule Easy-Fold, we bought one of those first and returned because we couldn't get a firm / safe grip on the bikes.
You can also buy an extension for another two bikes. Rack folds up when not needed and there are accessories available like loading ramp and a work stand that attaches to the rack for field work.

EMTB1.jpg

Kuat1.jpg

Kuat2.jpg

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
If you fit a spacer between the tow ball and mounting plate it allows most bike
carriers to clear the spare wheel. (Defender is parked on a sloping drive which is why the towing bracket doesn't look straight)

image.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles