Levo SL Gen 1 Bigger tires on a levo sl comp.

Zap

Jan 18, 2021
NORTHEAST OHIO
How big of a 29" tire can you put on a levo sl comp ? I was thinking about a few 2.4 tires. even a little wider like the maxxis recon race and aspen wt wide trail. maxxis warns bike owners that the wt version may not fit on the rear of many bikes.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Should be fine with maxxis 2.6, maxxis run their sizes on the small size. A 2.6 will fit on the rear bput don't expect to get a rear mudguard in there too.

Reactions: Zap

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
@apac ^^ got it right. We like a 29x2.8 Maxxis Rekon on our Stumpjumpers for the rock ledges at Moab and thought it should also fit the SL since they have similar rear triangles.. We’ve been able to squeeze it in (a true 2.8 on an i45 rim), but it’s tight. Only 3mm clearance at the seatstay bridge and 5mm in the chainstay yoke area. We had to trim the yoke protector piece to prevent it from contacting the tire at full travel. A 29x2.6 on an i36 rim gives another couple of mm all around. Here’s the 29x2.8 on Mrs levity’s SL:

155C8D2F-CC1E-4993-A27A-0CFC086CEF39.jpeg

B90813FA-BAE3-4B47-A6A3-57C916B2BB72.jpeg

Be aware that the large tire raises the bottom bracket. She had to adjust the eye to eye and reduce the shock shaft travel to 50 mm on her Manitou Mara to get it down to about 345mm even In the low flip chip position. I have an offset front bushing ordered for the Fox DPS shock on my SL.

Zap

Jan 18, 2021
NORTHEAST OHIO
@apac ^^ got it right. We like a 29x2.8 Maxxis Rekon on our Stumpjumpers for the rock ledges at Moab and thought it should also fit the SL since they have similar rear triangles.. We’ve been able to squeeze it in (a true 2.8 on an i45 rim), but it’s tight. Only 3mm clearance at the seatstay bridge and 5mm in the chainstay yoke area. We had to trim the yoke protector piece to prevent it from contacting the tire at full travel. A 29x2.6 on an i36 rim gives another couple of mm all around. Here’s the 29x2.8 on Mrs levity’s SL:

View attachment 50440

View attachment 50441

Be aware that the large tire raises the bottom bracket. She had to adjust the eye to eye and reduce the shock shaft travel to 50 mm on her Manitou Mara to get it down to about 345mm even In the low flip chip position. I have an offset front bushing ordered for the Fox DPS shock on my SL.
Great photos.thanks.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia

View attachment 50440

View attachment 50441

Prolly OK in the desert .
A place with tacky mud or clay you will find it builds up and rubs on the frame . Some times locking up your bike with the build up .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles