Big riders club! (100kg/6foot+)

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Bent rims! Cracked frames! Suspension blowouts! Mountain biking is a different game for those with Viking genetics or a cupcake addiction. Luckily with the booming Emtb market, big guys and gals are getting out on the trails and having a lot of fun but do face different challenges. Thought the forum needed a thread for us fatties to share frustrations, tips, trick and kale smoothy recipes (just kidding).

I'm 6foot3 and weight 120kg, here some problems only I seem to encounter:

• Bent wheels: I don't ride overly aggressive but I'm forever replacing spokes or rims. Current riding a carbon wheelset which has been awesome!
  • Suspension: I think my forks and shock are currently sitting at the max pressure recommended pressure and it amazes me that nothing has ever exploded
  • Tire pressure: never been below 30psi :(
  • Trees: I swear I often hit trees on both sides of the single track
  • Brakes: I have a stock pile of pads.....when are 3 pot calipers coming out??
  • Pedal strikes: all the time!
  • Bike sizing: not all manufacturers go up to XL, must say my bike was my 2nd choice
  • Flex: Frame, wheels, bars...it all feels like playdough
  • Dropper posts: the modern posts are getting more range but I had 110mm a year back....it was almost a waste of time
  • Bike bags: yeah not going to happen
  • Picking lines: off cambers can eat a dick
What problems do you deal with, how do you manage?

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I'm a bit taller and same weight, had my Levo Comp six months and covered about 1800km
  • Bent wheels: no issue, even on 28 spoke Roval alloy wheels
  • Suspension: running at about 75% of max pressure, no problem
  • Tire pressure: 20F, 24R - tubeless on Cush Core both ends
  • Trees: A few shoulder taps on tight corners
  • Brakes: On to second set of sintered pads, but find Guide RE's pretty good
  • Pedal strikes: only in rocky stuff and not that often
  • Bike sizing: XL was bang on for me
  • Flex: expected the wheels to be an issue, but don't notice any flex
  • Dropper posts: stock Manic post bound up after five months, got a new Command Post on warranty, goes ok
  • Bike bags: wouldn't even try
  • Picking lines: actually getting away with dodgier lines due to the momentum and stability of the bike
Only problem is range of around 30km/2 hours (with 900m climbing) - but easily fixed with a bigger battery - 700wh available now.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
6’1” here on a large Levo.
6000km on the bike

Bent wheels: i’ve been known to huckster to flat. Wheels are round and running true, sort of... ok, they are really toast, rear bearings replaced.

Suspension: My RS Reba’s exploded. They leaked air where the stantion pressed into the Csu. Replaced under warranty. Now running Yari with 2 tokens 115psi and it bottoms out. 3 tokens give to firm a mid stroke. Rear shock bottoms out on most rides.

Tire pressure: 24f - 28r Grid case front, and only a black Dimond case on rear will survive.

Trees: I have been known to fell a few with shoulder charges

Brakes: Cooked the avid 200 rotors, running Hope floaters. A block of cheese wold last longer than a set of pads. 4pot Guide caliper up front copes ok. 2 pot rear level caliper makes things exciting.

Pedal strikes: almost chewed through a complete set of spare pins.

Bike sizing: L was bang on for me

Flex: don't notice any flex

Dropper posts: Command post needs rebuilding especially the worn out brass guides. Saddles just have a habit of snapping rails, have trashed a few.

Bike bags: As long as my balls stay in my bag, I don’t have a need to put my bike in one.

Picking lines: some of my lines can be described as WTF and U mad bastard. Mostly they are just hectic.

Range wise i’ll Get 25km of hectic full turbo fun. 40km if I ride like Joe average, and 80km if I ride mainly paths like an old lady.

Ps: I also know some old ladies that ride fairly hectic and just plain awesome.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I'm a bit taller and same weight, had my Levo Comp six months and covered about 1800km
  • Bent wheels: no issue, even on 28 spoke Roval alloy wheels
  • Suspension: running at about 75% of max pressure, no problem
  • Tire pressure: 20F, 24R - tubeless on Cush Core both ends
  • Trees: A few shoulder taps on tight corners
  • Brakes: On to second set of sintered pads, but find Guide RE's pretty good
  • Pedal strikes: only in rocky stuff and not that often
  • Bike sizing: XL was bang on for me
  • Flex: expected the wheels to be an issue, but don't notice any flex
  • Dropper posts: stock Manic post bound up after five months, got a new Command Post on warranty, goes ok
  • Bike bags: wouldn't even try
  • Picking lines: actually getting away with dodgier lines due to the momentum and stability of the bike
Only problem is range of around 30km/2 hours (with 900m climbing) - but easily fixed with a bigger battery - 700wh available now.
You must a smooth rider! :)

What type/grade of riding do you mostly do? XC? Enduro?

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
Good idea. I started a thread like this at the first of the year. Un-Official Clydesdale Thread - EMTB Forums
I'm 6'5" (196cm) I’m 4 months into emtb ownership and it has been a great experience all around. I started 2019 at 269lbs. I figured if I’m dropping $4k on a bike I need to ride at least twice a week to amortize my cost down to about $40 a ride. It been a wet and cold winter for us and spring is in full swing now and I’m at 400 miles on the odo and down to 235lbs with constantly improving level of fitness.

I ended up with the last 2018 Meta Power Essential Commencal USA had. I gave it the nick name Mongo the mango meta. I swapped the shifter to grip shift right off the bat as I’ve been riding gripshift since the mid 90’s. I had to go to a 90mm stem to compensate for my long torso. Higher bars and a 650# spring. Been playing with bar position. Currently the bars are higher than I've ever had on another bike. nearly level with the saddle with the dropper all the way up. Part of it must the the silly low stack heights on new bikes. I'm running a spank 60mm rise bar and a 110mmx25degree stem. Looks funny but feels pretty good all around.

Only mechanical is issue so far has been a 3 broken spokes in 5 rides. Ends up I'm too big and ride too fast for the stock machine built wheels (thanks to the e-powah). I had the hoop relaced with 14/15 DT spokes. No problem since.

I’ve been playing with the front suspension to try to dial in the low speed sensitivity. I’m currently running 95psi with 1 token. Most of my riding is on tight technical XC type trails with lots and lots of roots so low speed small and medium bump compliance for is my main goal. I may do a Smashpot drop in or a ribbon coil if I can find a good deal.

I’m not that interested is blasting down trails at high rates of speed. I have motos for that. So far the 2.6/2.5 high rollers have worked well. When they are dead I’m going to see if I can fit 2.8 vigilantes on both ends for some extra traction in the roots and a little more ground clearance.

Battery life has been better than I expected. The higher country is just now starting to dry out and become ridable. Most of my rides have been less than 1000 feet of climbing and I’m using 1/2-3/4 of the battery on 1-2 hour rides of 13-18 miles. I’m interested to see how that will I will do with more elevation change.

I used the emax phone app to dial the shimano eco setting down a bit and didn't notice much differnce. I plan to keep dialing things down little by little until I find the noticeable point.

Been running 22f/25r psi the tires. About to go back to tubeless on the rear as the spoke breakage has stopped.

Brakes work. I have a front Hope M6ti waiting if the 4 pots become problematic but they are pretty good over all. The organic rear almost made the throught the winter. On cheap ebay sintered in the rear, Will change the fronts out soon.

Pedal strikes are annoying, but if forces me to learn. My shins are so happy I don't ride flats. Time pedals are holding up well so far.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I Will be going to a coil shock next, my current one is at the 300 psi max and is just on 30% sag with my 100kg. My ohlins coil forks have been lovely. I find plus tyres to be more forgiving to the rims.
Shorter 152 cranks help a lot with pedal strike. My 150mm Thomson dropper is plenty for me but I'm only 6'1".
I recently bought some 800mm handle bars and they have stopped my shoulders aching but they hit bushes/trees/fence posts more.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
188cm 113kg. My bikes rated to 115kg in the manual so kitted up I'm right in the limit.

Bent wheels: no issues with wheels as yet, although not into jumps and don't ride super aggressive due to lack of skills.

Suspension: fronts on Max psi as per the fork recommendations for my weight. Rear shock is Max 300psi with 30% sag. Neither the front or rear are top of the range kit but they get me by as I'm probably not riding anywhere near their limits. Only bottomed out front fork once when I hit a pot hole hidden by grass.

Tire pressure: 26fr 28re

Trees: the odd shoulder swipe

Brakes: the brakes are bottom range guides, they work ok but not confident inspiring.

Pedal strikes: the odd ones when not concentrating

Bike sizing: tried a few, cube and giant felt a tad small in large but merida and Norco felt fine in large

Flex: Frame, can't say I've noticed it, top triangle is carbon so maybe that helps with rigidity

Dropper posts: dropper is average, does the job but it's cheap and it's not super smooth or quick

jabi

May 24, 2019
Finland
I'm a tad bit shorter at 173cm and 101.5kg (so yeah, I'm quite obese currently). Have lost about 3,5kg in a few weeks now. I haven't got damage to my ebike yet but I'm fearing for my dropper as I've got it on an hardtail.

Last week I did however damage my acoustic cyclocross. I think some spokes were a bit loose and I went hard on tight corner and one spoke snapped and my rear rim bent. Not sure if it salvageable anymore, but I'm going to visit my LBS to ask if they can make it true again since I think that bend is above my skills.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
My lack of skill has always caused me more problems than my weight.

Only recurring issue is getting the bloody seat post to stop slipping or creaking.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Good idea. I started a thread like this at the first of the year. Un-Official Clydesdale Thread - EMTB Forums
I'm 6'5" (196cm) I’m 4 months into emtb ownership and it has been a great experience all around. I started 2019 at 269lbs. I figured if I’m dropping $4k on a bike I need to ride at least twice a week to amortize my cost down to about $40 a ride. It been a wet and cold winter for us and spring is in full swing now and I’m at 400 miles on the odo and down to 235lbs with constantly improving level of fitness.

I ended up with the last 2018 Meta Power Essential Commencal USA had. I gave it the nick name Mongo the mango meta. I swapped the shifter to grip shift right off the bat as I’ve been riding gripshift since the mid 90’s. I had to go to a 90mm stem to compensate for my long torso. Higher bars and a 650# spring. Been playing with bar position. Currently the bars are higher than I've ever had on another bike. nearly level with the saddle with the dropper all the way up. Part of it must the the silly low stack heights on new bikes. I'm running a spank 60mm rise bar and a 110mmx25degree stem. Looks funny but feels pretty good all around.

Only mechanical is issue so far has been a 3 broken spokes in 5 rides. Ends up I'm too big and ride too fast for the stock machine built wheels (thanks to the e-powah). I had the hoop relaced with 14/15 DT spokes. No problem since.

I’ve been playing with the front suspension to try to dial in the low speed sensitivity. I’m currently running 95psi with 1 token. Most of my riding is on tight technical XC type trails with lots and lots of roots so low speed small and medium bump compliance for is my main goal. I may do a Smashpot drop in or a ribbon coil if I can find a good deal.

I’m not that interested is blasting down trails at high rates of speed. I have motos for that. So far the 2.6/2.5 high rollers have worked well. When they are dead I’m going to see if I can fit 2.8 vigilantes on both ends for some extra traction in the roots and a little more ground clearance.

Battery life has been better than I expected. The higher country is just now starting to dry out and become ridable. Most of my rides have been less than 1000 feet of climbing and I’m using 1/2-3/4 of the battery on 1-2 hour rides of 13-18 miles. I’m interested to see how that will I will do with more elevation change.

I used the emax phone app to dial the shimano eco setting down a bit and didn't notice much differnce. I plan to keep dialing things down little by little until I find the noticeable point.

Been running 22f/25r psi the tires. About to go back to tubeless on the rear as the spoke breakage has stopped.

Brakes work. I have a front Hope M6ti waiting if the 4 pots become problematic but they are pretty good over all. The organic rear almost made the throught the winter. On cheap ebay sintered in the rear, Will change the fronts out soon.

Pedal strikes are annoying, but if forces me to learn. My shins are so happy I don't ride flats. Time pedals are holding up well so far.
Whoops! Sorry for doubling up o_O

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles