Best brakes for vertical bike storage

Shooter114

Jul 8, 2024
Brisbane
Hi All,

Looking for brake recommendations that don't have the bleeding/wandering lever issues the Shimanos have.

Bike is going to transported and stored vertically so it'll live the majority of its life on its end.

Chasing bang for buck 4 pots, that are easy to bleed. Have seen specials on the below so curious to hear people's thoughts given the above or other recommendations.

- SRAM Code R
- Magura MT5 E Stop

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Not sure why any bike brake system should be affected by vertical storage. The systems are sealed. It would only make a difference if the system was not bled correctly with air still in it......but then the brakes would not work well even on the level!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’ve installed a few sets of MT7’s for friends and family and the initial full bleed is not as good as the Shimano brake systems. However, the Mt7’s are great brakes but need the occasional mini-bleed (master cylinder only).

I don’t know how bubbles develop in a closed hydraulic brake system. Maybe from heat generated at the calliper and rotor…maybe from very small leaks in the system.

Regardless, I can’t get all the air bubbles out of the system after the initial install. The levers still feel spongy.

Take the bike for a bumpy ride …1/2-1 hour. Any bubbles trapped in the system will rise to the master cylinder. A mini-bleed will fix the spongy lever problem now …for about 3-6 months, or depending on use.

Storing or transporting your bike in a vertical position shouldn’t affect your brake system …it could affect your shocks or fork though.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
One of the tips for doing a rear lever bleed on a Shimano brake is to store the bike vertically overnight. You may have to tilt the bars a bit, but the idea is to have a continuously rising rear brake line. Before hanging it up, clamp the lever to the grip with some zip ties or strong elastic bands. The theory is that clamping reduces the bubble size and the vertical storage allows the bubbles to rise to the lever reservoir where they can be easily and quickly removed.

It works for me! So, storing vertically will not damage a Shimano brake

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Strange thing happened to me at BPW where my xt brakes worked great before putting my bike on the uplift, then after getting my bike off the uplift and pedalling towards the trails, I pulled a hand full of brakes and the front lever came right to the bar.
At first I thought it had been damaged on the uplift but after pumping the lever a few times the brakes felt normal again.
Got to the bottom of the trails no issues, back up on the uplift and same thing again.

Obviously there must have been air in the system that worked it's way up to the MC when the bike was in the uplift.

I did a gravity bleed on the brakes and they are all good now.
Gravity bleeding is a bit messier but I've found I get a much better bleed and lever feel doing it that way rather than using syringes.

Last edited:

Dave238

Apr 8, 2024
WA
Strange thing happened to me at BPW where my xt brakes worked great before putting my bike on the uplift, then after getting my bike off the uplift and pedalling towards the trails, I pulled a hand full of brakes and the front lever came right to the bar.
At first I thought it had been damaged on the uplift but after pumping the lever a few times the brakes felt normal again.
Got to the bottom of the trails no issues, back up on the uplift and same thing again.

I had a similar thing happen with my Tektro brakes. I would put the bike on my 1up bike rack and when I'd get to my destination the rear brk lever would have lots of play. Pumping would allow it to firm up.

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
We've had similar with multiple bikes running Hopes. We've not had it on any of the bikes running SRAM Code or RSC.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
Regardless, I can’t get all the air bubbles out of the system after the initial install. The levers still feel spongy.

Take the bike for a bumpy ride …1/2-1 hour. Any bubbles trapped in the system will rise to the master cylinder. A mini-bleed will fix the spongy lever problem now …for about 3-6 months, or depending on use.
I used to have the same problem. Bleed Magura and get a good lever until after a ride. After 2 or 3 ride-and-bleeds they would be perfect and I wouldn't have to touch them for a year or better. The trick I learned to keep from doing this to make a "bleed handle". I took and old handlebar and cut the end off. I placed an old grip on it and clamp the master to it. When the bleed syringe in the master, I rotate the master in every different direction while bleeding. The shape of the master and reservoir on the Maguras make it difficult to get all the air out without moving it around.

I did a gravity bleed on the brakes and they are all good now.
Gravity bleeding is a bit messier but I've found I get a much better bleed and lever feel doing it that way rather than using syringes.
I agree on the gravity bleed. All the dirt in the system comes in around the piston seals. It never set right with me to push all that dirt and grime up the system into the master. I remove the bleeder all together as to not even deal with the dirt in the bleeder valve. I never seem to be able to keep those little rubber covers on the bleeder.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
My Hayes brakes have no problems on my hanging racks and are phenomenal brakes in general. My XTR Shimano's as well as my Trickstuff brakes do have issues when hanging.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
One of the tips for doing a rear lever bleed on a Shimano brake is to store the bike vertically overnight. You may have to tilt the bars a bit, but the idea is to have a continuously rising rear brake line. Before hanging it up, clamp the lever to the grip with some zip ties or strong elastic bands. The theory is that clamping reduces the bubble size and the vertical storage allows the bubbles to rise to the lever reservoir where they can be easily and quickly removed.

It works for me! So, storing vertically will not damage a Shimano brake
EXACTLY what I was going to say!

Natch

Feb 10, 2024
Oregon
TRP DHR-EVO. They’re super consistent and don’t require a lever bleed as frequently as Shimano. They also don’t have the wandering bite point issue.

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
One of the brakes you mentioned feel like plastic when pulling the lever (sram) the other is plastic and is prone to stripping. I would avoid both.

D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles