• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Benefits of going Mullet?

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
I've got a Whyte e-160s V1 which came with 27.5 wheels front and rear but I recently mulleted it to a 29" Zeb Ultimate RC2.1 with a Luftkappe running a Hope 29" Pro5 wheel.

I'm struggling to see the benefits of the mullet, except may be a bit of increased ground clearance but I do find that the front end lifts easier (I also put 50mm riser bars on at the same time so that probably contributed to the lifting).

I'm not an expert rider, don't jump or do very difficult terrain and I changed the front end to help with my back and shoulder pain.

Should I go back to 27.5" (Zeb Ultimate RC3 with Buttercups)?

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
I've hit rocks on a tecky climb, and instead of climbing over, the bike bounced back. This will happen less, the bigger your wheel diameter.

The first EMTB I owned was a 27. I put a 29 fork and wheel on that, and the improved climbing ability was instantly noticeable.

But if you are riding flatter tracks without large obstacles, you probably won't notice any difference.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The 29" wheel certainly rolls through bumps and holes better, but it also slackens your geometry substantially. In a nutshell, you've gained some ability to hold a fast, rough line at the expense of tight carving. If you prefer the way the bike handles and feels, my only suggestion would be to put the RC3 damper into the 29" fork.

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
I've hit rocks on a tecky climb, and instead of climbing over, the bike bounced back. This will happen less, the bigger your wheel diameter.

The first EMTB I owned was a 27. I put a 29 fork and wheel on that, and the improved climbing ability was instantly noticeable.

But if you are riding flatter tracks without large obstacles, you probably won't notice any difference.
I do prefer climbing to going downhill so I'll give it another go. Thanks for the input.

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
The 29" wheel certainly rolls through bumps and holes better, but it also slackens your geometry substantially. In a nutshell, you've gained some ability to hold a fast, rough line at the expense of tight carving. If you prefer the way the bike handles and feels, my only suggestion would be to put the RC3 damper into the 29" fork.
Cheers. As I was reading a lot of reports about the RC2.1 being better than the RC3 I decided to fit a Luftkappe instead of swapping the dampers. I'll leave it as it is until I've given it a bit of a longer test.

Trailhound

Jun 30, 2024
N. California
I've got a Whyte e-160s V1 which came with 27.5 wheels front and rear but I recently mulleted it to a 29" Zeb Ultimate RC2.1 with a Luftkappe running a Hope 29" Pro5 wheel.

I'm struggling to see the benefits of the mullet, except may be a bit of increased ground clearance but I do find that the front end lifts easier (I also put 50mm riser bars on at the same time so that probably contributed to the lifting).

I'm not an expert rider, don't jump or do very difficult terrain and I changed the front end to help with my back and shoulder pain.

Should I go back to 27.5" (Zeb Ultimate RC3 with Buttercups)?

Trailhound

Jun 30, 2024
N. California
My two cents. I own a 2020 full 29er and a 2022 Mullet. If I could have only one it would be full 29er. Yes, the mullet excels slightly in tight switchbacks and climbing technical single track where up and overs come into play, but I'm still able to manage both with very little increase in difficulty on the 29er. Where the Mullet fails to compare is in the DH and Cross Country romps. Speed carry, confidence and stability all increase dramatically on the 29er.

Trailhound

Jun 30, 2024
N. California
Following, I don't notice a difference in general climbing on the Mullet, just where slow techie uphill single track is involved. The reduction in circumference provides more clearance and less pulling up and over effort me thinks.

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
Following, I don't notice a difference in general climbing on the Mullet, just where slow techie uphill single track is involved. The reduction in circumference provides more clearance and less pulling up and over effort me thinks.
Cheers (though I presume you mean increase in circumference!).

Just be clear, I've just read another post about going mullet where they've swapped out a 29er rear wheel for a 27.5" wheel whereas I've changed the whole front end (same travel 29" forks and 29er wheel).

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Going 27.5 up to mullet slackens your head angle by 1.5 to 2°. That makes riding down steeps easier, also your bike will be more stable at high speed with a slacker hta.
The bigger 29 front wheel rolls over square edge hits easier. Its particularly noticable on big steep chunk and high speed.

Blue/green trails there is limited advantage. But once you start punching bigger chunk, steeper tech and higher speeds on the black/ double black trails mullet makes absolute sense.

What do you loose going mullet.? Playfullness and you increase weight.

Trailhound

Jun 30, 2024
N. California
Going 27.5 up to mullet slackens your head angle by 1.5 to 2°. That makes riding down steeps easier, also your bike will be more stable at high speed with a slacker hta.
The bigger 29 front wheel rolls over square edge hits easier. Its particularly noticable on big steep chunk and high speed.

Blue/green trails there is limited advantage. But once you start punching bigger chunk, steeper tech and higher speeds on the black/ double black trails mullet makes absolute sense.

What do you loose going mullet.? Playfullness and you increase weight.
Plummet, my brother, I truly appreciate gaining your perspective and find no fault with your logic. Rather I'm glad our varied perspectives lead us both to positive interaction, experiences and results. Guess you could say you've slackened my head angle a tad.

Trailhound

Jun 30, 2024
N. California
Plummet, my brother, I truly appreciate gaining your perspective and find no fault with your logic. Rather I'm glad our varied perspectives lead us both to positive interaction, experiences and results. Guess you could say you've slackened my head angle a tad.
I just noticed your from NZ. Cool. I spent 3 months there in 2018 and love it. No mt. biking, but trekked my butt off and got a full shot of both islands ridding 15,000k's a KLR 650, bought new upon arrival, sold upon departure. Worked out flawlessly.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Note that op is going 27.5 up to mullet. Not 29 down to mullet.

29 down to mullet is a different set of variables and closer to your experience.
a bit of square edge roll over on the back. But you gain more acceleration, less ball grind on the steeps low C of G and stronger rear wheel.

Craig_85

Aug 11, 2024
Suffolk
You mention you enjoy climbing, have you used the whyte shape it link on your bike to move to the High position since going to a 29 front?

Whytes have low bb anyway so don't worry too much about raising it, the advantage is the hta and sta won't be as slack as present.

Did you reduce fork travel at all?

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
You mention you enjoy climbing, have you used the whyte shape it link

Hi @Craig_85 I've had a shape it link on since it was almost new.

The original fork was a 160mm Zeb Select and the 29er fork I've put on is a 150 Zeb Ultimate 2.1 with a 160 shaft and a Luftkappe.

I've also got a 27.5 Zeb Ultimate 3.1 which I'm thinking of going back to as I'm finding the 29er a bit too easy to lift

Craig_85

Aug 11, 2024
Suffolk
Hi @Craig_85 I've had a shape it link on since it was almost new.

The original fork was a 160mm Zeb Select and the 29er fork I've put on is a 150 Zeb Ultimate 2.1 with a 160 shaft and a Luftkappe.

I've also got a 27.5 Zeb Ultimate 3.1 which I'm thinking of going back to as I'm finding the 29er a bit too easy to lift
Could do lower bars or longer stem if you're talking about climbing?

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
Could do lower bars or longer stem if you're talking about climbing?
I suffer from neck and shoulder pain so tried to get more upright and put a higher rise bar on at the same time as the 29er so that has probably made it worse.
I'll stay with the bars and put the 27.5s back on.
Thanks fur you input.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles