• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Belt drive conversion

ep8-rs

Jul 18, 2024
US
Hey Guys,

So I got an incredible deal on a complete new wheel set for my Orbea Rise. Only thing the rear wheel doesn't have is a cassette ( new is micro spline ). Looking around I had a crazy idea of trying a belt drive with a hub gearing system like a Shimano Alfine. Now please know I'm not looking for opinions on should or should I not do this. I am seeking knowledge here from anyone with experience , and or know how on first , if it is even possible and then if it is , the way of performing the task.
I have started researching and see possibilities , but no firm THIS is what you buy and how you pull it off. Rob's Nicolai Saturn 16 really got my attention with the belt drive , but rather than dropping the $$ , I'd like to find out if I could use my spare wheelset as a test bed for if I'd like a belt or not?

Thanks in advance for sharing of knowledge here as it has always been helpful.

Ride on

whitymon

Nov 29, 2023
Europe
I saw in the past some rear wheel with a gearbox, but with a chain, now it exists some with belt I guess too (Specialized has some on non mtb). At the very least with a chain you will be able to do some test easier without having to buy too much other things. That said it is not very performant and does not work fine with sport mtb.

But, even if you clearly said you do not want advice, you will never be able to compare a gearbox motor with a very light rear wheel versus a motor + rear heavy gearbox (clunky and not sport oriented).

On purpose of the gearbox motor is to have a light rear wheel, this changes everything when you ride, you will only be able to have a little taste but without a different flavor.

Seems like an expensive conversion if try to match close to an MGU, still if you go that road, please share the conversion and what you get from it!

WalterP

Oct 5, 2024
Finland
You'll need a rear hub with (boost) trough axle. AFAIK there is no shimano hub available. What comes to mind is rohloff hubs but thats quite expensive.

Also your New rear wheel would need complete rebuilt.

Fitting a best would require you to take rear triangle apart. Possible.

And some heavy duty spring loaded belt tensioner. Although this will affect your suspension because that frame probably has some squat/anti-squat characteristics. Or if tensioner is too weak to the belt will skip when suspension articulates.

This would not turn out cheap nor practical solution. Easier to look for a frame with belt drive possibility to begin with.

ep8-rs

Jul 18, 2024
US
Thank you whityman and WalterP for your responses. I should clarify when I said I wasn't looking for opinions , I was really asking for refrain from the ones hating on belts drives. Opinions on viability ARE welcome and needed. I realized after I posted it that the teardown of the rear hub was unrealistic in keeping it simple as the spare set is tubeless to boot so , yah , not really practical... my bad.
Now with all that in mind , I'm still gonna be out there and ask , well , what about just a single speed belt setup then? Again , just theoretical at this point as I know it wouldn't be practical , but is it POSSIBLE? Is there a actually an existing belt setup compatible with full suspension , micro-spline , roughly equivalent to a 32 chainring and 12 sprocket? Crazy , yes , possible??? :unsure:

Thanks again guys

Ride on

WalterP

Oct 5, 2024
Finland
Thank you whityman and WalterP for your responses. I should clarify when I said I wasn't looking for opinions , I was really asking for refrain from the ones hating on belts drives. Opinions on viability ARE welcome and needed. I realized after I posted it that the teardown of the rear hub was unrealistic in keeping it simple as the spare set is tubeless to boot so , yah , not really practical... my bad.
Now with all that in mind , I'm still gonna be out there and ask , well , what about just a single speed belt setup then? Again , just theoretical at this point as I know it wouldn't be practical , but is it POSSIBLE? Is there a actually an existing belt setup compatible with full suspension , micro-spline , roughly equivalent to a 32 chainring and 12 sprocket? Crazy , yes , possible??? :unsure:

Thanks again guys

Ride on
I don't know if any exists.

Also no hating for belt drives. Just opinions on is it possible for your bike.

whitymon

Nov 29, 2023
Europe
Fwiw, some Nicolai bike powered by Bosch are using a Rohloff Hub with Belt.

So if they build such bike you could in theory do the same but to what price, imagine in the end you do not like it?

I really dislike the Rohloff idea but having a belt is really great, pinion gearbox is awesome but too noisy at the moment for me.

Shorty4

Nov 7, 2022
Australia
Can't help with the belt side of things but did fit an 8 speed Alfine gear hub to a Kona Dawg 26" full suspension mtb about 12 years ago. It's also fitted with a Bafang 750w bottom bracket drive and a 48v 14ah battery fitted in the triangle.
It has stood up to the test of time and is still going strong but hasn't had much single track use since I bought a Focus Jam2 a few years ago. I'm 100kg plus the motor, battery and the rear hub all add weight to end up with weight around 25kg for the bike and it still works well. You do have to pause for a split second on the shifts to allow it to change gears but otherwise it has been faultless. Of course it did need to have a chain tensioner as well.

ep8-rs

Jul 18, 2024
US
Hey guys,

So just an update and info for those of the same curiosity as I. It would appear that my venture into belt drive conversion hit a hard wall and is not currently viable on my Orbea Rise. But , as I did receive interest and curiosity from others about the subject , I am posting links to the info I did track down.
For my Rise , the challenge was the mounting and lack of micro spline availability , as in none. Now if money was no object , sure , changing over mounting and completely changing the drivetrain to suit a belt is possible. But as pointed out by others , at a certain point it would be more viable to just buy a bike with and designed specifically for a belt drive.
That all being said , here are the links I found of currently available belt drive systems :

Belt & Pulley:

Rear Hub Gearing:

Pinion and other drivetrains:

Info and YouTube vids:

Just a few of sites I found , but I'm sure there's more to come. Hopefully one day Gates or some other company will decide to make economical conversion kits for riders like myself. But until then , looks like Nicolai is the way to go , although pricey , pretty cool in my opinion.

So if anyone out there has anything to add , edit or help for those of us curious , it would be appreciated.

Ride on

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
I have this discussion going on in the Pole Forum regarding doing a belt drive conversion for Voima and Sonni that could be of some use to the OP. Belt-driving a Rise you have no choice but to go with an IGH, specifically ones that support Boost 148 thru axles, such as: Rohloff (not an actual thru-axle), 3X3 Nine, Classified, Enviolo, etc.

Next, and this is important, you will need a belt tensioner because the Rise has chain growth throughout its travel so the belt needs to be larger and this length needs to be taken up spring-loaded tensioner. The problem is that there is no standard for this and has been more bike OEM-specific or at least one that can bolt onto the motor (in this case Shimano, and at the moment I'm not aware of any that exist). Pinion and Gen 4 Bosch have some paths to take via Nicolai but Nicolai doesn't do Shimano.

One thing going for the Rise at least is that's it a four-bar Horst-Link design that allow belt routing through the rear triangle by disconnecting the link. VPP and classic DW-Link bikes are not so lucky.

ep8-rs

Jul 18, 2024
US
Wow slickrock , what a great link! Now THAT"S the kind of helpful info I'm looking for!
Really like the specifics of the tensioner. I know that is a major part in the full suspension issues , and I have to say I feel the pulley and belt world has a lot more to offer that simply isn't seen in the bike world just yet.
Thank you for your input. REALLY appreciated!

Ride on

ep8-rs

Jul 18, 2024
US
I do have to add this link in on this thread as well as I've seen it , found it very intriguing , but alas , it is not yet available or proven viable for that matter. Still...:unsure:

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
It's only 2
I do have to add this link in on this thread as well as I've seen it , found it very intriguing , but alas , it is not yet available or proven viable for that matter. Still...:unsure:

I've seen this but only provides 2 gears and doesn't use Gates CDX belts. Classified has 2 gear setup that is fully wireless and has been out there for a while. I gave this hub some consideration, but really more gear range and steps are needed for EMTB, let alone and SL-EMTB like the Rise.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles