Are expensive bike lights a rip off?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Lumicycle?
It was a Vistalite VL series; twin halogen bar mounted lights and a 6v lead acid battery in a bag.
1636140681630.png

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Having watched Rob’s video I’d pick the Magicshine over the Exposure; better spread of light and significantly cheaper at £289.99 (the video price seems to include the 10% discount… ) although the latter is a neater solution.
@Rob Rides EMTB have you done a burn test yet!

Should be £290 here before discount.
I haven’t done run time tests, but saw this from FB comment on the vid

Finn Smith true story…. The battery lasts 3 or 4 evening rides on full power too so not even worth toggling it down.
Expensive exposure have had their crown well and truly robbed by magic shine

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Doomanic £290 here and 10% discount off that with code EMTB10

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
The answer, is yes.

I just bought brand new MaxxD from Tredz, I got it after 3 days, in a nice hard case with a zip-lock. Unfortunately, the light doesn’t work and the charger wouldn’t charge the battery.

When excitement wore-out, I realised that the light was shipped in a hard case, without any ‘retail shrink-wrapped packaging’.

So, the retailer took their profit margin for allegedly superior, but broken light. And now I have to wait for an assessment and their decision. Well spent +£300.

On a positive side, the person at Tredz offered not to charge me £3 handling fee. WooHoo!

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I’ve got a Lumicycle metal halide bike lamp and frame battery pack, must have had it well over 10 years!

It used to be one of the brightest lights out there, now it’s completely outclassed in the brightness stakes by even a ‘cheap Chinese’ light.

It’s built like a tank though, and the battery is high quality as it’s still going strong.

On my E-bike I use a Supernova M99 with the DRLs. It’s a surprisingly good off road light as well, a good spread of light and with a helmet light as well it’s good for my riding.

We are indeed spoilt by the stuff available nowadays, even the cheap stuff, the Bikehut 1600 is really bright for not much cash.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Has no one ever thought of making their own light? I know there are torch forums out there and you can get the parts.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Got on mine a lezyne 1000 lumen ebike light on the bars and a "3000lumen" cree light mounted on my helmet with the batterypack in my backpack. Both give me plenty of light for the riding I do.
20211101_184822.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Has no one ever thought of making their own light? I know there are torch forums out there and you can get the parts.
Sort of, I use these. Carriage Lamps have been around for hundreds of years and work a treat.

1636188040399.png

They just slide over the handlebars so are quick and convenient to put on the bike or remove.

Unlike many of their modern counterparts, they give 360 degree lighting, so you can see all around you. They also help retain much of the ambiance which is "Night" and rarely intrude into the darkness.

Spare re-charge pods can easily be carried in a bag or large pockets if you think you might get lost for days and a box of on switches can also be carried giving the opportunity to turn the light on hundreds of times (it's a good idea to keep the box of on switches dry though).

If you position them correctly, they keep your hands warm too (y) 🔥

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Sort of, I use these. Carriage Lamps have been around for hundreds of years and work a treat.

View attachment 75269

They just slide over the handlebars so are quick and convenient to put on the bike or remove.

Unlike many of their modern counterparts, they give 360 degree lighting, so you can see all around you. They also help retain much of the ambiance which is "Night" and rarely intrude into the darkness.

Spare re-charge pods can easily be carried in a bag or large pockets if you think you might get lost for days and a box of on switches can also be carried giving the opportunity to turn the light on hundreds of times (it's a good idea to keep the box of on switches dry though).

If you position them correctly, they keep your hands warm too (y) 🔥

Jesus 🙄 There's just no hope.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I just picked up a Brand new Monteer 8000 for £215 from Aliexpress

arh, maan, it's very tempting. Is there a chance you could post up your purchase on arrival? Did you pay extra for tracked delivery, or did you just choose free delivery?

is it a risky purchase? ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles