Are carbon frames strong enough?

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
I hope no one ever finds out! I have also had 10+ aluminum mtbs and only 2 carbon mtbs and the only thing that I know for sure is that CF will end up in a landfill and AL can be recycled. Other than that, at my age and skill level, I have yet to notice a difference except in my bank account :unsure:
Yes, that is one downside of carbon fiber frames, they can be repaired unlike aluminum so in the long term you have to weigh up the pros and cons of which is better. If you really are concerned with the environment and want a frame that lasts and can be repaired, steel and titanium is the way to go. ;)

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
A carbon E160, without battery, is below 20kg and can go in an Upride carrier on my car’s roof. The alloy E160 can not. The difference isn’t much but it just manages to bring the weight under the limit.
I have bike insurance anyway so they’re fully covered for theft, damage while on the bike rack and while riding, i.e. crashes are covered as well. So there really isn’t any downside to carbon for me.

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
Any frame made of any material has a risk of damage, but the risk of carbon fiber damage is artificially magnified. In general, the carbon fiber frame is very strong. Even if the lateral impact resistance is poor, it's only worse than the frontal impact resistance of the carbon fiber frame, but not inferior to the frame made of other materials,
As for the service life, the carbon fiber frame that the customer bought from us eight years ago is still in good use; At that time, the quality control and material strength were not as good as they are now. But for riders, will you not change the new style after eight years? Perhaps the engine and battery have undergone fundamental changes.
Therefore, it is enough to choose a frame you like and enjoy your current ride. The difference between two-year warranty and lifetime warranty is only the price, not the quality of the frame itself.
There are also big brands that use our frames. The warranty period is marked as lifetime, but the agreement between us and the brand is only two years. For brands, the huge difference in price is enough to let them replace a new frame for you when there is a problem with the frame. After all, with the improvement of the quality, only one percent of the frames will have problems.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles