SummerMadness

Jul 18, 2022
kt2
Still a good price when compared to fox, rockshox 👍

I'm around 70kg, at 170mm travel in currently running around 45 main and 75irt

Rebound 6 clicks from open
HSC 2 clicks from open
LCS 2 clicks from open

That's what I finished the day on and they where feeling pretty good, though I still need to play around with them some more.

They easily feel as stiff as the fox 38 and a lot smoother over small bumps/chatter. Just need to sort the top end compression.
think I was at 60.8 main and 91 IRT, Sag is at 27% though

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Deepest Bandit country (Wales)
Nice one 👍 what was the total cost in the end?
I'm toying with picking up another set at some point?

I initially set up to the manitou guide, which was okay, then changed to the ccs86 suggestions which feels great over charter but I'm bottoming out on heavy compressions.

Think I need to up the main and irt a little, but I like how it's feeling over the rough at the moment, so maybe just increase the irt and HSC?

Need a bit more time with them but coming from fox 38 they feel pretty damn good 👍

Go up on the irt a bit, try double the main / negative pressure and play with it from there👍

Just make sure you have the forks @ full droop / travel before disconnecting the pump - some pumps can drain pressure when unscrewed but some like topeak have a valve / adapter head that prevents draining and this is great with Manitou’s main / negative valving

IMG_4982.jpeg

Rich.

Last edited:

SummerMadness

Jul 18, 2022
kt2
Go up on the irt a bit, try double the main / negative pressure and play with it from there👍

Just make sure you have the forks @ full droop / travel before disconnecting the pump - some pumps can drain pressure when unscrewed but some like topeak have a valve / adapter head that prevents draining and this is great with Manitou’s main / negative valving

View attachment 142660

Rich.
using a rockshox digital pump, thought I read that you don't lose pressure when disconnecting, it's just the pressure on the pump side that's released?

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
IMG_5046.jpeg

I’ve stripped the compression damper from the secondhand ’pro’ fork to play with the shimstack, on dismantling the shims appear to be in a different order compared with ‘standard’ :-0

Has this damper been played with previously or just badly assembled?
I’ve ridden this damper and it felt good - similar to a new standard damper (that I’d bought to fit in the ‘expert’ forks but not used) I fitted to continue riding the forks :-?

Dismantling was easy and only needed some thought, a few tools & a driptray to collect the oil :cool:

Rich.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I need to do a full service on mine at some point.
Is this the chamber that needs bleeding?

I have a Shimano bleed kit, hopefully the fittings are the same.

I'll probably have a look at this over winter.

I've been really impressed with the fork so far.
Been playing with pressures and settled on 43 for the main and 87 for the IRT.
This seems to give a similar feel to my fox 38 but with nicer small bump compliance.

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
I need to do a full service on mine at some point.
Is this the chamber that needs bleeding?

I have a Shimano bleed kit, hopefully the fittings are the same.

Basic lowers service is simple, from what I’ve seen so far the damper service is not hard either (invest in a shaft-clamp block thingy (cheap 3d printed thing on eBay seems to work for me!) and a few basic tools)

And, Yes, thats the infamous ‘bladder’ that seems too flimsy but obviously works well enough 🫣

As to bleeding, I’ve bought 2 eBay special Chinese bleed kits as they have multiple threaded adapters as well as serringes so hopefully covering all eventualities 🫠

Been playing with pressures and settled on 43 for the main and 87 for the IRT.
This seems to give a similar feel to my fox 38 but with nicer small bump compliance.

You’re obviously lighter than me🤣

Don’t be afraid to ride with a shock pump and experiment with pressures 👍

Also, if it helps, my previous post should point towards me going back to the Mezzer from the Ohlins rfx38🫢

Rich.

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
So, Mezzers going back on the rail, the Ohlins don’t feel as nice (they definitely work but have an unknown ’tune’ and need a service - booked in for end of month)

The Ohlins rxf38’s seem to have a very narrow pressure setting window for a comfortable ride and also seem to rely on damping for support, not like the Manitou design 🧐

I’m getting an RS Zeb ultimate somethingorother with 180mm travel as part of a deal next week so can compare against them soon🤔

Ok, I admit I’ve spent a frightening amount of money lately so time to get on the overtime grind….

But the mezzers are definitely staying 😎

Also, I’ve been busy so not rebuilt the ‘spare’ mc2 damper yet, looking forward to seeing if it’s any different but that’s sorta on the back burner as I’ve got to sort the clutch on our LLandrovah as a priority 😮

Bpw again tomorrow for a pedalfest….

Rich.

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
gOwD1GE.jpg

It's back(y)

this was this morning, after the 1st battery swap (~11.30hrs, used 2x500wh and a 625wh, about 40 miles across Bpw pedalup & down) I removed the Ohlins ttxair rear damper and refitted the Manitou Mara inline rear damper and was much happier:cool:

I'm somewhat upset that I've not gelled with the Ohlins, Mrs Zed has them on her dentist bike and loves them (also has a bundle of strava QOM's in Bpw!) but maybe I'm too heavy for Ohlins🐷

anyway, maybe I'd better finish the 'spare' mc2 damper rebuild.....

Rich.

Last edited:

whitedlite

Jul 12, 2022
USA
So, Mezzers going back on the rail, the Ohlins don’t feel as nice (they definitely work but have an unknown ’tune’ and need a service - booked in for end of month)

The Ohlins rxf38’s seem to have a very narrow pressure setting window for a comfortable ride and also seem to rely on damping for support, not like the Manitou design 🧐

I’m getting an RS Zeb ultimate somethingorother with 180mm travel as part of a deal next week so can compare against them soon🤔

Ok, I admit I’ve spent a frightening amount of money lately so time to get on the overtime grind….

But the mezzers are definitely staying 😎

Also, I’ve been busy so not rebuilt the ‘spare’ mc2 damper yet, looking forward to seeing if it’s any different but that’s sorta on the back burner as I’ve got to sort the clutch on our LLandrovah as a priority 😮

Bpw again tomorrow for a pedalfest….

Rich.

We want comparison between the Zeb Ultimate! Also, is the Zeb Charger 3 or 3.1?

Cheers

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Okay, thoughts on the Zeb ultimate fork….

Ride Bpw Saturday & Sunday with 25 miles Saturday and 20 miles Sunday (blues & reds, jumps & drops / tech)

Still not dialed-in but getting there….

Air pressure 94psi - not using full travel ~160 of 180 available) and springing felt hard but stable…
This is compared to 69 psi main/neg on the Mezzer, next ride I’ll drop the Zen down to 90psi and see how that goes.

Damper is good but needs some fiddling to improve, first day was nice on bigger hits but small chunk it was a bit busy - I actually lost hand contact with the handlebar grips at one point and that was an extremely interesting experience 😮 - I take credit / blame for that as I was fiddling with settings!
More rebound added and it’s improved…

Interestingly, these Zeb forks have ‘buttercups’ - basically rubber insulation between the damper / air spring and the lowers so mechanically softened connections between wheel movement and the suspension 🤔
How much this does affect spring and damper activity I’m wondering 🤔

Initial thoughts are a good fork but not as easy to dial compared with the Mezzer…

I’ve also gone to a RockShox coil damper on the rear and again this is taking a bit of getting used to - spring rate has a painful adjustment dye to needing a different spring but this is coming from an Ohlins ttxair2 (good but hard springing) and Manitou Mara inline damper (softer springing and easier setup as ended up running basically open, same with the Mezzer forks!)

I’m going to continue playing with the Zeb but already missing the Mezzer 🤭

As to the different fork an damper setup, they were standard-fit on my new bike hence my ‘experiment’😎

IMG_5203.jpeg

IMG_5227.jpeg

More fiddling to come next weekend….

Rich.

Last edited:

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Thread reserrection time 🤭

I've been off the bike for the last 3 weeks (& will be for another 4 weeks🥴) due to a broken heel so have had time to think a bit.....

the Zeb Ultimate is a good fork.........

but i like the Mezzer a bit more🤭

maybe I needed a bit more Zeb time? suppose I've hit ~200 park miles over all types of terain and still not convinced so looking at fitting the Mezzer on the Torque:ON BUT theres a problem! the Mezzer's steerer tube is too short to fit the bike with a few spacers so I'm looking for a new set of uppers🥸

to compound matters, I've had the Ohlins bach from tuning & service by J-teck but they're 170mm travel against the Torque's 180mm and I think they also have a short steerer......

Bugger.

Rich.

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Is the main air chamber the same between Expert and Pro? Just remove the IVA and screw in the IRT? Damper is a direct swap?

the basic chassis is identical between Expert & Pro, the only actual differences are for wheelsize (swap lowers to jump from one to other) and I blieve the csu / stantions hold the difference for offset :unsure:

as to internals interchangability, the iva & irt are a 'one-out / one-in' replacement and as are the dampers (although different designs with the 'expert' being 'open bath' compared to the 'pro' having a sealed cartridge...)

one difference I've read about (BUT not personally compared) is the airspring main piston-shafts being steel for the expert and alloy for the pro🤷‍♂️
guess that would be slightly lighter (y)

Rich.

harrysmalls

Oct 25, 2021
Oregon
I've taken both apart, except for the air shaft on the Pro model. I can't push the shaft all the way in to get the cassette tool on the internal cap. For some reason the shaft hard stops about 1/2" from the end of the stroke. The Expert shaft went down all the way flush. This one doesn't. I don't understand what stops it. If I force it, it barely slides 1mm and binds up. Then it's quite hard to dislodge it and pull back out.

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
I use a split / slotted casette tool to loosen the airshaft nut, couldn't get my unmodified casette tool to fit🤷‍♂️

as to full travel, if I remember I've not noticed binding or stiffness with my Mezzer's:unsure:

Rich.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles