Anyone over 240 lbs riding a Trek Rail?

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Shopping for a Trek Rail and Trek states a max rider weight limit of 247 lbs. I'm 265 lbs bare (~275 w/ hydration/gear) and looking for any experience or advice you heavier riders might have with the Rail. I've yet to test-ride the Trail 7 (seems hard to find in-stock in MD USA). I'm clearly beyond spec and wondering if I should just cross it off the list.

If you are likewise heavier than Trek recommends, did you talk to your LBS about it pre-purchase about warranty issues if you get any frame/parts failures?

I am also considering YT Decoy29 - which supports a max rider payload of 280 lbs. Close but at least I'm in-spec. M current ride is '18 YT Jeffsy29. I've had no issues on the Jeffsy other than broken rear spokes after 2 years of riding. I'm told to lace up a 36 spoke wheel custom to avoid this in the future.

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
I hover at 247, maybe 260 depending on gear, been trying to minimize what I carry in general. Most bikes and components tend to have a limit of 250lbs from my experience and base specs numbers around a 175lbs rider. Either way, I'm currently on my second eMTB, a Trek Rail 9.7, mostly stock, except for the brakes, bars, grips, seat, pedals and a Kiox upgrade. The only real concern I have, is the lack of support in the suspension, mostly the rear on the 9.7. I'm still feeling it out and playing with air pressure and volume spacers.

When it comes to parts braking, I haven't stressed it too much, I tend to get dirtjump/enduro/downhill rated parts. Though parts are stronger now, than that were ten years ago. The only three parts I'm worried about when it comes to my weight is usually the crank, wheels and shocks. I would recommend wide rims (30-40mm), straight gauge spokes and I never run tire pressure below 30psi to avoid pinch flats or rim dings (hopefully). The more spokes do make a difference in strength, at some point you might need to build up some wheels with DH specs, if it comes to that point.

When it come to warranty issue, you will be dealing with your local Trek Dealer. I have only dealt with issues with my first Trek, many years ago. The shop fixed and replaced the issues I had with cranks, since they're were come loose all the time, lost patience and replace the stock ones with better ones with less issues. What attracted me to getting a Trek eMTB, versus other brands, was NYC has a ton of Trek stores and Trek's lifetime warranty on their frames. Also I believe Trek give a full 30 days to return if you don't like it.

In NYC, very few MTB stores, so even less eMTBs in-store. Had to do size comparison on a 29" Trek Fuel, since I was most concern with stand over seat height and wanted to know how low it was. This is my second Bosch motor eMTB, and I can say they're plenty strong for my weight, never had issues when it comes to power. Never tried any other brand of motor. Your best bet, might be finding a shop that has both types of motor and compare the difference in feel and Torque or find some local riders who are will to give a test ride. This might not be easy, with this current state of Covid and etc.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
I hover at 247, maybe 260 depending on gear, been trying to minimize what I carry in general. Most bikes and components tend to have a limit of 250lbs from my experience and base specs numbers around a 175lbs rider. Either way, I'm currently on my second eMTB, a Trek Rail 9.7, mostly stock, except for the brakes, bars, grips, seat, pedals and a Kiox upgrade. The only real concern I have, is the lack of support in the suspension, mostly the rear on the 9.7. I'm still feeling it out and playing with air pressure and volume spacers.

When it comes to parts braking, I haven't stressed it too much, I tend to get dirtjump/enduro/downhill rated parts. Though parts are stronger now, than that were ten years ago. The only three parts I'm worried about when it comes to my weight is usually the crank, wheels and shocks. I would recommend wide rims (30-40mm), straight gauge spokes and I never run tire pressure below 30psi to avoid pinch flats or rim dings (hopefully). The more spokes do make a difference in strength, at some point you might need to build up some wheels with DH specs, if it comes to that point.

When it come to warranty issue, you will be dealing with your local Trek Dealer. I have only dealt with issues with my first Trek, many years ago. The shop fixed and replaced the issues I had with cranks, since they're were come loose all the time, lost patience and replace the stock ones with better ones with less issues. What attracted me to getting a Trek eMTB, versus other brands, was NYC has a ton of Trek stores and Trek's lifetime warranty on their frames. Also I believe Trek give a full 30 days to return if you don't like it.

In NYC, very few MTB stores, so even less eMTBs in-store. Had to do size comparison on a 29" Trek Fuel, since I was most concern with stand over seat height and wanted to know how low it was. This is my second Bosch motor eMTB, and I can say they're plenty strong for my weight, never had issues when it comes to power. Never tried any other brand of motor. Your best bet, might be finding a shop that has both types of motor and compare the difference in feel and Torque or find some local riders who are will to give a test ride. This might not be easy, with this current state of Covid and etc.

@Iggy_BBR - thanks for the feedback. I'm not so much worried about motor capability coming from analog I'm sure they'll all perform. Motor replacement though would be an issue from mail-order (YT Decoy)

Rail 9.7 looks identical in component spec to the 7. It's the carbon version. I can imagine a rear shock upgrade would help. Are you looking at Fox DPX2 / RS SuperDeluxe or something different entirely?

What was your first eMTB?

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
There's a few differences, mostly looking on at the shift systems, I preferred SRAM over Shimano, especially since I already had the system on my other eMTB. And the besides the dropper and the weight, thought the weight on mine is about 50lbs, not the advertised 48.13lbs. The other major difference might be Carbon vs the Aluminum. I have always been a fan of Steel, it took a couple years, before I trusted aluminum. The technology has gotten better (still crossing those fingers), that it can handle my weight and semi-aggressive riding style. With carbon being used for a while now in DH, I thought maybe its okay. I do wished that company would up their numbers on what their components can handle. Its cute to believe that market it fueled a bunch 20-somethings, weighting in at 170lbs with steady income, when in reality its a bunch of 30-60 years olds, weighting anywhere between 175-300lbs and steady incomes.

Yeah I have looked into difference options, mostly looking at DVO (since I already have a fork and would prefer the shocks to match) and Rockshock Super Deluxe. The thing I just learned, that Trek apparently has a propriety size of 230x57.5 for the rear (on this bike and few others with the same geos). So finding a reasonable priced upgrade hasn't been easy, Im at the point of buying a used or never used OEM, since I don't want to spend another $600-700 for a shock. Right now I am playing with the volume spacers, it went from three spacers in the rear to one, but originally it had two by default. I found too soft in the recommended settings using the Trek calculator (and two spacers). I upped the air, it but felt ok but lack support in the middle I guess. I added a third spacer, not know what was in there, just did a basic ride on the street and it felt too harsh, so I can only imagine how it will translate in the trails. So currently, I'm at one spacer in the rear and zero spacers in the fork (default had two installed). Using a lot of air, but still have room to put more. Feels plush, not sure if I would go to a physical spring, since I never ever found the correct settings (besides trying to track down the correct spring rate, and almost non-existent charts if you weight above 200lbs). Right now Im saving my money, and see what happens, worst case I'll get a DVO Topaz3 (what I had previously), since it did support my weight with room for adjustments. Or I'll get one those OEM Super Deluxe that folks pulling off theirs bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles