Anyone get too much assist causing crazy wheelie or crash?

cragginshred

Jun 10, 2024
Sonora ca
Second weekend riding super gnar chunk and rolls with a couple of close calls from speed. Going into steep or chunk I am careful to not punch it with the assist too much, however in the faster flow sections where there are tight tress or coming out of a turn it's super fun to get up to speed fast, however I have had a couple of occasions where too much speed caused me to go off the trail or almost hit a rock or tree

Have you guys had close calls from too much assist in techy spots?

DirkWisely

Jun 14, 2024
California
I've definitely had some sketchy moments, but nothing too bad. My most common one is where I lose it and have to put my foot down, but my other foot is still on the down stroke and the bike tries to drive off under me a little bit.

It's definitely a trade off, but I prefer the overrun overall. So useful for hitting a burst of peddling on a climb then stopping at 3 and 9 as you hit a rock so you don't pedal strike it.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Second weekend riding super gnar chunk and rolls with a couple of close calls from speed. Going into steep or chunk I am careful to not punch it with the assist too much, however in the faster flow sections where there are tight tress or coming out of a turn it's super fun to get up to speed fast, however I have had a couple of occasions where too much speed caused me to go off the trail or almost hit a rock or tree

Have you guys had close calls from too much assist in techy spots?

Are you using the right mode for the trail? I can only speak for Bosch but it's highly customisable in it's power delivery. If you're in turbo you can feather the brakes slightly to stop the wheel spin if you're trying to set off on a steep tech climb.

cragginshred

Jun 10, 2024
Sonora ca
Are you using the right mode for the trail? I can only speak for Bosch but it's highly customisable in it's power delivery. If you're in turbo you can feather the brakes slightly to stop the wheel spin if you're trying to set off on a steep tech climb.
Yes Green mode for down hill. It punches though as soon as I pedal

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Yeah a few times, and it's always been because I've had it in the wrong mode.

Worst one was when I forgot I had it in turbo and tried to pull a wheelie only to be ejected out the back door. Landed flat on my back and winded my self severely, it took a month before my lungs stopped hurting 😞

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles